College Marching Band

owen006

College Marching Band

Post by owen006 »

So my son is off to college next year and will play trombone in marching band. During High School, he has used an older Conn Director and now a Prelude F attachment that was provided by the school. I figure that as marching season ends, there may be some used trombones for sale. What would be good recommendations for an F trigger trombone for college marching?
BGuttman

Re: College Marching Band

Post by BGuttman »

F-trigger? I like horns where you hold them like a straight tenor (around the bell brace). Some suggestions:

Olds Ambassador with F or Superstar (small shank)
King 3B-F (meets criteria, not recommended because it's too good)
Holton TR-150 (same comment as 3B)
Holton TR-680
Olds Opera O-23 or O-25 (same comment as 3B)
Bach TB-200 or Omega with F
Reynolds Argenta with F, or Onyx with F
Some older Olds and Reynolds bass trombones fit the criteria.

Probably a few others.

If you want to use a Cheap Chinese horn, install an Ax Handle or something similar as an aid.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I second Bruce's suggestion for a trigger horn that is held by the brace, like an older King 4B.

I've seen trigger horns in the past where a tech has soldered a strip of brass from the neckpipe to the slide receiver (across the gap where the valve is) to strengthen that area on a trombone used for marching. It may not be a bad idea to check into having something like that done, I can't imagine it would be terribly costly.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Your kid should check with the college. Not all colleges allow a trigger on the field. Some provide instruments for gamedays, some for practice and gamedays. Really need to understand what college and what that band uses before any suggestion here could really make much sense.

Related, may want to start looking into how the chosen college picks their band, many have auditions and some of them start that process fairly early (I've seen as early as February for the next fall).

Cheers,
Andy
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Here is an ideal candidate for a Bb/F horn for marching:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6771

I agree that you should confirm that he should use an F horn for their marching band. If so, this 3BF would be ideal. And the seller is a trustworthy and nice guy.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
owen006

Post by owen006 »

Thanks so much. Great advice from all. He has visited three colleges and is visiting a fourth as we speak. It does very much depend on which school he chooses. He is going to major in music/entertainment industry with a business minor. At one school, even if he isn't in the band, he will have to play an instrument and take classes on that instrument. If that is the case, he may do piano or voice instead.

I like to research and make informed purchases is why I am starting early. I will have to check out the differences in how the trombone is held and talk with my son about that.
owen006

Post by owen006 »

Well, the university that he visited Tuesday does not march trombones. The trombone players switch to baritones.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

owen006 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am Well, the university that he visited Tuesday does not march trombones. The trombone players switch to baritones.
That eliminates 76 trombones from the play list.

Yes, I know 76 trombones. They just get together all at one time.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”