bach 42 narrow slide

havard

bach 42 narrow slide

Post by havard »

i have seen via Google search there are Bach 42 narrow slides available. thats interesting , as - for many - standard wide slides often causes left hand pains.
but have anyone tried these narrow slides? how do they play ? is the end crook bass bore and/or square , like the wide ?
Burgerbob

Re: bach 42 narrow slide

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think Bach offers them.

I had a slide for a while that had an 88H crook, so narrow by 42 standards. I liked it for some things, but it really gave up the low register playability and sound you expect from a 42. I would chalk this down to the 42 being smaller after the slide than an 88H, so paired with the smaller tenor crook of the 88 it makes for an altogether smaller trombone and not one that works well down low.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
havard

Post by havard »

they do exist. hornguys stock them at the moment . here is another one https://no.pinterest.com/pin/73394668907095294/
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There was a custom option for some time, I don't know if its offered anymore. I want to say I recall it being offered through the 90s though I believe I've only ever seen one such horn.

If you really want a narrow slide Bach 42, you can go either way. M&K drawing and Horn Guys both offer narrow 42/50 (bass) crooks. There are also myriad options for narrower crooks as well.

If your reason is hand pain though, I've only ever heard the opposite: Normally wide slides alleviate pain in some capacity for people with larger necks because it lets them put the mouthpiece in a spot that works for them without digging into their necks.

You might be confusing the placement of the main handslide brace with the width. A wide or narrow slide will put that brace in exactly the same place. It will just be, well, a wider span to the top of the slide. If the issue is that you try to wrap your hand around the mouthpiece shank or something, it is a lot easier to fasten a trumpet 3rd valve ring to the underside of that brace.

There are also myriad other ergonomic devices such as the Ax Handle, Bullet Brace, Shire Thumb Rest, Get-A-Grip, and Neotech (I prefer the Neotech myself).
havard

Post by havard »

Matt K wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm There was a custom option for some time, I don't know if its offered anymore. I want to say I recall it being offered through the 90s though I believe I've only ever seen one such horn.

If you really want a narrow slide Bach 42, you can go either way. M&K drawing and Horn Guys both offer narrow 42/50 (bass) crooks. There are also myriad options for narrower crooks as well.

If your reason is hand pain though, I've only ever heard the opposite: Normally wide slides alleviate pain in some capacity for people with larger necks because it lets them put the mouthpiece in a spot that works for them without digging into their necks.

You might be confusing the placement of the main handslide brace with the width. A wide or narrow slide will put that brace in exactly the same place. It will just be, well, a wider span to the top of the slide. If the issue is that you try to wrap your hand around the mouthpiece shank or something, it is a lot easier to fasten a trumpet 3rd valve ring to the underside of that brace.

There are also myriad other ergonomic devices such as the Ax Handle, Bullet Brace, Shire Thumb Rest, Get-A-Grip, and Neotech (I prefer the Neotech myself).

i am not in search for one , i am.just curious about this slide. i have not heard about it before .

thanks for valuable information though.

Return to “Instruments”