70s Bach 36B pitch

sgreatwood

70s Bach 36B pitch

Post by sgreatwood »

Good morning and thanks for having me over at this new board.

I've got a mid 70s 36B that I've always had trouble keeping at pitch. On a 'normal' day, the tuning slide is out around 2" (more than 3/4 of its length) to play in tune with good ensembles. The only time I have it in closer is with a bucket (4GB or larger). Generally I'm playing something like a 5G size on it. I realise it's an older horn and there may be SOME wear or stretching of the mouthpiece receiver but this horn seems to be a lot sharper than every other horn I have. Is this a common thing with that model/era?

I've got a small bore frankenhorn (12LT slide, 16M bell) from about the same time that sits in a far more 'normal' place with a wider range of mouthpieces.

Thanks,

Simon
Mamaposaune

Re: 70s Bach 36B pitch

Post by Mamaposaune »

I have noticed that with some (but not all) 36's from the 70's. Not sure why, although I wonder if the tenons (sp?) where the slide connects to the bell may get worn?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Could be a leak somewhere. Slide, rotor, etc. When's the last chem clean it had?
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

That is odd. I have owned about a dozen Corporation 36's and, warmed up, I have needed to pull out anywhere from 1/8" to 1". Something is going on. Has it always been like that?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I agree, not usually a problem at all. I have one from the 70's. Maybe it was modified. Or a leak as Matt suggested.
Or... some players just play on the sharp side and have to pull out more than others. Does it happen on any other horns? Could be something about the way you're playing.

Something as small as a worn taper isn't nearly enough to make that difference.

A 5g size mouthpiece may seem reasonable but some people (like myself) really need a much larger rim than that. Since you notice the pitch difference yourself, maybe the rim really is too small for you. That would push the pitch up.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Matt K wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 pm Could be a leak somewhere. Slide, rotor, etc. When's the last chem clean it had?
I agree. Could also be the rotor is out of alignment or even that your valve is bone dry.

I think the first place to check would be the valve. Make sure the valve is in proper order then you can move onto the handslide and mouthpiece as possible culprits.

Also, measure your tuning slide and that of a stock 36/42 tuning slide. Could be that yours was chopped down at some point or like someone else mentioned you might have a shorter one from the factory.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Two CORPORATION 36B's that I have come across belonged to private students of mine, one current, one from 8-10 years ago. Both my students and myself have (had) to pull out the main slide 2"-3"s, to the very end, while I was standing beside them with my own CORP 36B, which I normally pull out 1/2"-1". I know the valves are oiled and aligned, according to the notch on the rotor, because we checked that. We can switch horns and the results are the same. I just assumed that some were made that way, for whatever reason. I have also found many King 3B's that play sharp, and have heard that many players like them that way so they can do slide vibrato in 1st position.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Mamaposaune wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 pm Two CORPORATION 36B's that I have come across belonged to private students of mine, one current, one from 8-10 years ago. Both my students and myself have (had) to pull out the main slide 2"-3"s, to the very end, while I was standing beside them with my own CORP 36B, which I normally pull out 1/2"-1". I know the valves are oiled and aligned, according to the notch on the rotor, because we checked that. We can switch horns and the results are the same. I just assumed that some were made that way, for whatever reason. I have also found many King 3B's that play sharp, and have heard that many players like them that way so they can do slide vibrato in 1st position.
You probably shouldn't use those guide notches. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but I recall a tech saying here something to the effect that, on Bachs, the only position you know for sure isn't the right one is when they're lined up. My limited experience with them corroborates that to a very minor degree.
sgreatwood

Post by sgreatwood »

Interesting comments. It's a few years since it's had a chem clean but doesn't actually get that much use. I've owned it since around 2002 and it sounds soooo much better than the new ones that I tried at the time. Over the the years it's been played with a 6 1/2, 5, 4GB, Marcinkiewicz 8H. Only the 4GB got it pushed in more. I do suspect I play on the sharper side of the horn but will certainly have a look at the valve alignment (I have a borescore).
Joebone

Post by Joebone »

Have owned two "Corporation" 36 (not B), one from 1972, the other probably '76. The '72 requires the tuning slide to be out at least 1.25 inches. The '76 does not.

Return to “Instruments”