New mouthpiece for old Buescher? (Beginner alert!)

Dingit

New mouthpiece for old Buescher? (Beginner alert!)

Post by Dingit »

Hi!

I have no experience with trombones but a little bit with trumpets and cornets. I have acquired a ~1947 Buescher trombone and would like to play around with it some, mainly to get my kids interested. (Bringing home derelict or unwanted instruments has produced a cornet player and a piano player so far.) In other words, I want it functional but we aren't very serious about playing at this point.

My primary question is about the mouthpiece. This one came with a Bach 9 and it seems to work and is comfortable but the plating is worn off enough to be icky. Would a new Bach 9 work in this instrument or do I need to find a vintage one? I know old trumpet and especially cornet mouthpieces can have varying shank sizes and tapers and it can matter a lot if you have the right one. Is this the case for trombones? The internet has convinced me that Buescher wasn't exactly a trombone powerhouse back in the day...I can't find much info.

And, of course, is a Bach 9 a terrible mouthpiece for beginners altogether? :idk:

If there is any interest from a kid whatsoever, I'll get the trombone overhauled--or more likely, get a modern one--and some lessons. We don't have a good local shop for vintage brass so I'm going to wait and see. I figured a new mouthpiece couldn't hurt though.

Thanks for any guidance!
Doug Elliott

Re: New mouthpiece for old Buescher? (Beginner alert!)

Post by Doug Elliott »

The Bach 9 would be an excellent choice, it's a good mouthpiece. I have not seen a new one lately. If you need the old one refinished and replated, I do that. But not everyone is sensitive to brass, you might be fine leaving it as is.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Dingit

Post by Dingit »

Thanks for the info. I really didn't know if it was an oddball mouthpiece or not!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Oddball only in that not many players use it, but it's actually a great mouthpiece.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Trombones from the first quarter of the last Century (before around 1920) used smaller shank mouthpieces. Your trombone is probably new enough that you can use a modern one.

If you are squeamish about the mouthpiece, a Faxx 7C (or even 11C) might work well and be easier to find than a Bach 9 -- and cost less than having Doug refinish yours (refinishing is usually done for expensive or custom mouthpieces; not for bargain bin finds).

I've also coated rims with nail polish (red might be good for Halloween). Not too permanent, but works in a pinch.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Dingit

Post by Dingit »

Thank you both. If it's a standard fit mouthpiece I won't worry about it. I'll see if anyone complains and if so, just get another (or try the nail polish trick). It's not terrible, but if I were going to have to look for a 70-year old replacement, I'd want to get started early. :biggrin:

Return to “Instruments”