Buescher Model 258 soprano trombone (1920's)

EllisRichman

Buescher Model 258 soprano trombone (1920's)

Post by EllisRichman »

This is too cool. All authentic model No. 258 from the '20s - it's in the Buescher Catalogue nmber 26. Also known as a slide cornet, it has a Shepard's Crook! Wonderful. That's a Al Cass cornet MP. I'm a cornet player, looking to play this instrument - if you have any additional info, please share! Also see JPG of the catalog.

Also, here's a great URL that talks intelligently about slide cornets, which I think is worth reviewing:
https://www.musicforbrass.com/articles/ ... umpet.html
by Chase Sanborn: Lessons Learned from the Slide Trumpet
…“Because of the infinite tuning capacity of the slide, many alternate positions from different harmonic series are available. Each feels and sounds slightly different, and one may work better than another in the context of a line.”​

thank you to Saxaphone.org for sharing this incredible image of the #26 Buescher catalogue!
walldaja

Re: Buescher Model 258 soprano trombone (1920's)

Post by walldaja »

It's beautiful, enjoy it. Thanks for adding catalog information.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
EllisRichman

Post by EllisRichman »

Thank you! Being new to slide instruments, can someone PLEASE recommend a lubricant that's great for an old vintage slide instrument like this? I sure appreciate getting "the best" although I know there's going to be differences of opinion - It is very smooth, slides like a hot knife thru butter.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

EllisRichman wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm Thank you! Being new to slide instruments, can someone PLEASE recommend a lubricant that's great for an old vintage slide instrument like this? I sure appreciate getting "the best" although I know there's going to be differences of opinion - It is very smooth, slides like a hot knife thru butter.
======

Very nice! As far as lubes go, buy a tube of Trombotine or some Presto Slide. Both are creams, and a very little bit goes a long way. When it comes to slide lubes........less is more. You could also try some of the newer one part liquid slide lubes such as Yamaha trombone slide lubricant, Ultra Pure slide lube, or Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort. But I'd be inclined to use a cream.

Good luck.

=======
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
EllisRichman

Post by EllisRichman »

Thank you! I'll get the cream you suggest. By the way, I don't know the positions yet, but wow it has an amazing sound. I like it better than my Buescher 1940 No. 266 (one of the best Bueschers ever made) but SHHH - don't let my cornet find out :p)

Return to “Instruments”