Bass Trombones- Single vs Dependent vs Independent

blast

Re: Bass Trombones- Single vs Dependent vs Independent

Post by blast »

Even younger trombonists are sometimes daft enough to think that ALL single valve bass trombones are smaller than ANY double valve bass trombone. Conductors are easily duped ! For some years I played a single valve,unlacquered Bach 50B when a famous conductor requested small trombones.... he even came up to me and said how much difference the small trombone made. They never think that the player can change the sound.... Duh...

Chris
islander

Post by islander »

I think I rather prefer my single valve over my double independent. More nimble, less massive sounding - blends with the other bones better, much lighter. More...satisfactory. That said, double independent makes life much simpler. I play entire passages on the Gb valve alone sometimes, particularly in sharp keys. Probably sloppy technique, but works for me.
Last edited by islander on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I've really been enjoying my 822G in single valve mode lately. I agree that it's a more nimble "feel," but I also think the sound is wider and more malleable without that extra mass. I wish more manufacturers would offer a detachable second valve, if only so people could experiment.

Matt
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I have a nice Yamaha YBL-421G single-valve bass trombone, with a 0.563" bore and a 9.5" bell. It plays beautifully.

I can't tell you how many times folks (mostly fellow trombonists) have noted (sometimes disdainfully) that I am playing such a small ("pretend" ?) bass trombone. They are very surprised when I point out that its bore is probably larger than theirs (by 0.001") !. After playing it for a few years, starting on Yamaha 58 mouthpiece, I am now comfortable with a Schilke 59 - but that's as far as I'll go. I think my bass trombone sound is acceptable, and I can (usually) play the low Cs loud enough and in tune (with a long reach). Good enough for most of my playing. And (as an old guy) I don't miss the extra weight associated with the second valve, whether dependent or independent.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I recently got back into Bass Trombone as a serious double. I used to own a Conn 72H. I bought a Yamaha 321 Single trigger bass. This is all I need for everything I play Bass-wise. I`ve worked on False tones seriously for years so I have a low "B" that rocks. If I was going full blown Bass and got rid of my tenors, I`d get a double trigger set-up. But as of now , I just don`t need it
sf105

Post by sf105 »

The single-valve fight back starts here!
GBP

Post by GBP »

Neo Bri wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm Well - Just because 90% of the rep CAN be played with a single doesn't mean it SHOULD be.

I also believe that these days a dependent system has no benefits over an independent system. And really the only benefits of a single are weight, and sometimes ergonomics.

Independent all the way.

Also - I have a bunch for sale if you're interested. Look in the Classifieds or email me. I don't have them all listed.
In fairness to Mr. Yeo, he was referring to standard rep. classical music.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Its never easy to answer a question about what instrument to play. We have all asked that question some times in our life. I will not give any direct answer to single, depended or Indy. For me it happens to be single, but I use a double trigger if I really have to. The strange thing is I did learn an Indy as young, then a depended, and ended up with a single!

The real trick is to follow your heart (as Chris have told some times), and really go for it! Learn one setup and go from there. There is lot of options in all setups, but the best advice I can give is to really learn one setup and go from there!

Leif

Return to “Instruments”