Which is better for a fun purchase

sirisobhakya

Which is better for a fun purchase

Post by sirisobhakya »

I am planning to buy another horn "for fun" when I receive my tax refund next year. The majority of it is going to saving, and I plan t use no more than around $1000. so I can afford only at most Wessex. Secondhand horn from auction sites is out of question in my country since there are so few floating around. I don't want another trombone since my current bass is enough for most "serious" playing I do, and I also has another tenor and even another bass already (although donated but I still have access to them). I would like to buy something completely different.

I have narrowed the choices down to bass trumpet and euphonium, for they require little embouchure change. I don't like piston valve, and I don't plan to use the horn in any ensemble (at least in the foreseeable future), so blending is not a problem. The choices then further narrow down to the Kaiser Baritone (ER120) and the rotary bass trumpet (BT2).

I have seen rather mediocre reviews about the bass trumpet including it is straightforward Jinbao model, and the Kaiser Baritone next to nothing at all but those I have seen are a bit better than the bass trumpet (although still mediocre). Personally I like the bass trumpet more, because of the tone and apparent overall ergonomics.

What is your opinion? Which one is better, or nothing at all? Secondhand of other makes in the same price range (including shipping to Thailand) is also welcome.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Doug Elliott

Re: Which is better for a fun purchase

Post by Doug Elliott »

Save your money for something more worthwhile.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

A marching valve trombone is inexpensive and fun. The mouthpiece is similar, and it allows you to practice valves. Its also easier to travel with, to keep your chops up on the road (fits in suitcase).
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Not really a suggestion on what fun piece of equipment to buy, but I have a lot of fun dumping my tax refund right into my retirement account and watch it grow! Do that with your full tax refund for a decade and it becomes even more fun!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Honestly, I really like their alto. Its both fun and potentially useful to you. The 525/547 bore makes the transition for me much easier than on some of the smaller bore altos. The bell section is basically identical spec wise (other than having a wider tuning slide) to the small Jin Baos though so it still has a very distinct alto sound.

If you want to learn fingerings though, which is also a useful skill, a Euph might be a better option. Its a little over your $1k mark for them though. There are others that are less expensive but I don't know outside of the US if there's a way to make sure you're getting a good one.

Flugabone/Marching trombone is also fun and as indicated, nice for traveling. Though I prefer the alto for that now. I'd really consider the pistons over the rotaries. The rotary ones from JinBao are not very comfortable in my opinion. The piston bass trumpet and the flugabones are much, much easier to hold and operate. It can be a decent way to learn fingerings as well.

I'd probably go for alto or euph. The former if you want portability and the latter if you want valves.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Matt K wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am Honestly, I really like their alto. Its both fun and potentially useful to you. The 525/547 bore makes the transition for me much easier than on some of the smaller bore altos. The bell section is basically identical spec wise (other than having a wider tuning slide) to the small Jin Baos though so it still has a very distinct alto sound.
I love their large bore alto, but they stopped making it. It's no longer offered on their website and apparently they're developing a replacement.
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

For fun, a couple of thoughts:

First, I enjoy playing my weird instruments at home, but I really have fun playing in different ensembles. Where I am in the US, ready opportunities to play in concert bands and brass band (so traditional euphonium, not kaiser/oval) and Czech/German groups (traditional euphonium or kaiser okay). I have a marching valve trombone, which is compact and handy, but I only pull that out in a jazz combo setting for something different from trombone. For a real rotary valve trombone, I'd think very occasionally an orchestra or trumpet choir, and maybe fun in a jazz setting. I've played euph in jazz settings.

Second, to open some new musical horizons, I would consider an
electronic valve instrument, or
electric bass
There is no real face challenge compared to bass trombone.

Many EWI models these days have both woodwind EWI and brass EVI instrument fingering settings, so learning the octave and 5th shift along with regular valve fingerings. Options less than $1000, less than $400.

For learning, I think a lot of electric bass and small combo amp combination with a new set of strings easily possible under $1k. And potential ensemble opportunities in a lot of genres depending what you like. What I also like is the bass is off my face. Years ago, I had a facial injury, but with a bass I could feed my soul musically and break into other genres while my face healed. These days, I might be working on trombone or tuba, learning jazz tunes etc., and I can shed horn for a while then I can rest from brass practice by playing bass lines, which improves my knowledge of the tune and memory.

If I had no intention of playing these new instruments with other people, then I might invest money in music notation software, midi keyboard controller, and a sound module. No horn on the face. Many a happy hour composing and arranging, fun, and I could use the skills to support my trombone focused ensembles.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

All good ideas!
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

I picked up a very well cared for Yamaha 321 Euphonium a couple of years ago, and It's really helped break up my practice routine, and it's been a lot of fun. As an axe, 321 is considered "intermediate", 4 upright valves, non-compensating, smaller than a serious Besson, Wilson, Adams, what have you. But they're quite consistent in tone and pitch, and a good choice for doubling trombone players - I think. Chances are good you could find one (used) in your price range.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I would double that budget and buy yourself a used tuba. Now THAT is a fun purchase!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Is used not an option? If used can be an option a world of opportunities lay before you. Have you a local aftermarket? I hope you do.

Fun instruments that are not quite trombones but fun for a trombone player:
1. a Holton TR-350 "MF-Superbone". Very fun to play. Some say they are impossible to hold. I find it tough but not impossible at all. You need to find out how best to hold it or have some kind of aid that supports it. It is also an instrument that draws some attention. Could be good or bad. If you can't make it work, it it is all bad.
2. a King 3b valve trombone. Fun to play. Interesting to improvise on. Somehow I play the same kind of solos both with valves and with slide, but some technical things might free up new ideas of your jazz vocabulary. You might not be loved if you insist on using the valve instrument in a big band. You need to prove you can make it sound better than your trombone. It was many years since I last made an attempt to force my valve trombone on a big band trombone section. Last time the section asked me not to.
3. an Euphonium. In the windorchestra a new role with lots of solos and beautiful lines you never see in a trombone part.
4. a plastic Selmer PBone. Not that fun but opens up a great new scenes. You can play it in the pool. Use it at garden parties where people are drunk and insists on trying your instrument. You can let them try without beeing anxious to loose the slide. They might loose the slide but it will hold. Bring it on a plane as handluggage. You could play on the plane and don't stop until you've got enough money to cover the flight. If you need to defend your rights as an artist you just shuffle the slide down their throats. It will hold :good:

/Tom
hurry

Post by hurry »

I have piston trombone named 'compact trombone'
of Japanese music shop 'Shimokura'.

http://www.shimokura-marcato.com/marchi ... b100s.html

try it
it is fun.

hurry
hurry, not in a hurry
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Thank you everyone for the ideas and suggestions!

My real goal is to have a horn that is "unique" and "rare", because, as some may have seen I mentioned, I am an occasional instructor at my former school. Therefore I have almost free access to euphoniums and marching baritones, although only when I go there, but I can hardly play anywhere else anyway. Rare instrument may also help exciting the students. The band has no alto trombone though (and I think even in "band countries" not many school have alto trombone, right?). I shall consider about it.

Sadly, my country has small secondhand market for band instruments (and all band instruments in general), so that is the reason that I cannot expect used horn. Ones floating around are normally basic ones like YSL-354.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

Well, back to my earlier suggestion, if I need to "wow" students, the electronic wind/electronic valve instrument is the one because it is electronic and open to a range of wild sounds. Not something you see every day. Also, once you get the hang of it, it can be handy if you are laying down digital tracks, longer linear passages, for arranging but are not too facile on piano.

To play on it, this one requires a laptop or computer (no onboard sounds, etc.), but the price is right. Others more expensive have wireless options, on boards sounds, etc.

I DO NOT use some of the more traditional instruments sounds like tuba or glock as much as others. I think for obvious reasons. And not it does not sound like a sax, but sax and flute emulations adequate for brassers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3CbyHPWGvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyF6pViw258 Bach Cello suite excerpt

Electronic wind instrument controller
Plug-and-play USB connection to Mac or PC
Custom Garritan Aria Player software, contains wind instrument sounds
Multiple fingering modes: sax, traditional EWI, flute, oboe, and EVI brass
Removable, dishwasher-safe mouthpiece

The last one cracks me up, dishwater safe, and hey I can't say that for all my trombones, but if I were sharing an instrument with students, I would invest in extra mouthpieces.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass

Return to “Instruments”