Shires Michael Davis Plus

hyperbolica

Shires Michael Davis Plus

Post by hyperbolica »

I've recently happened into a MD+. I played one a year ago at a Shires demo booth, and really liked it. I've been on a search for a 509, and I've played 3b, Bolero, 691, 891, and a 16M. None of them has really tickled my fancy. This MD+ is seeming like the best of all of them. A good 3b is a really nice horn, but the MD+ is just that much nicer. Richer tone and better intonation. The intonation seems excellent so far. F above the staff is about an inch out of first, but that's about normal. The rest of the notes all seem pretty close to lined up.

The one thing is that it actually feels a little smaller than spec. To me it feels like my other 500 bore horns. I'm used to Shires feeling bigger than spec. I had to measure it to make sure it was the 508 bore. The biggest measurement I can get out of the calipers for the ID of the inner slide is 503, but inner diameters are hard to get accurate measurements. If it measures 503, it can't be a regular MD slide.

Also, I'm curious about what other MD+ players use for their mouthpieces. It feels really good on a DE xt 104 c-d cup for stuff above the staff where you might want it a little brighter, but then I can go up to e-g cups to get a little fluffier sound, less attack, a little more 16M - like. I think I could use this for general (no trigger) playing (for me that would mean quartet/quintet/small orchestra/pit band). It has a very nice sound and feel. I've never been really crazy about Shires large bores, this doesn't feel like those to me.

This one is all yellow, 7.75" bell, nickel silver outers. 1.5 leadpipe and 1.5 yellow tuning slide.

Any other MD+ players out there? Do you play with a different leadpipe or tuning slide?
Rusty

Re: Shires Michael Davis Plus

Post by Rusty »

I’ve played one for a couple of years now, and while I still miss the sound and character of my silversonic 3b, this is a much better all round horn, it does everything really well. It feels plenty big to me, more so than the .500 horns I’ve played.

I bought a 2.5 (or was it a 2) leadpipe, but it just sounded woofy, I don’t think you can beat the factory setup, it’s so well balanced already.

I mainly use an 11c sized mouthpiece but have had some success with 6.5 sized pieces too if you need more power in the staff and below. For me, any larger rim size started to lose a typical small bore sound.

It’s a really versatile horn as you mention, and has a good mix of King and Bach with super consistency and evenness.

My dream would be to buy a Shires sterling silver bell to use with it. By all accounts it sounds amazing but is an additional $1500 on top of a whole new bell price so it’s beyond the reach of most people.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

For what it’s worth I think the MD and MD+ are some of the best modern small bores being made right now. I’ve played a handful of each of them and they’ve always impressed me. Easy to play, easy to color, but still have a characteristic baseline sound that is very attractive.
timbone

Post by timbone »

If you are looking for .508's you should try the Courtois AC402T/TRR, especually if you like the 3B or 16.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

timbone wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 am If you are looking for .508's you should try the Courtois AC402T/TRR, especually if you like the 3B or 16.
Yeah, I've had my eye out. I'll probably get a chance at the next Army Band conference. Courtois is usually there.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Congrats on the horn. Shires are incredible horns!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”