Conn 6h and 24h

dxhall

Conn 6h and 24h

Post by dxhall »

I recently got a good deal on a ‘41 Conn 24h. I’ve been playing it a lot and really like it. I’m wondering how the 24h differs from the 6h. There’s a lot about 6h horns on the web, but not much on the 24h. The old Conn catalog said the 24 was their most popular horn. Any opinions?
BGuttman

Re: Conn 6h and 24h

Post by BGuttman »

Except for a 24H between 1919 and 1924, all 24H's had a 2 1/2 bore, which is like the 4H or the single bore King Liberty. The 6H is a 3 bore, which is 0.500" The "fancy" version of the 6H is the 48H.

Lots of information here: https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnTrbHFull.html
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The classic 24h was a 485 bore, or thereabouts. I have one from 1936. They have a small bell, I think 7 inch instead of 8. They were called "Ballroom" model because the bell is further back for mute changes. Narrower slide. They feel like heavier construction - thicker metal possibly. I look at the 24h as more of a lead horn or at least really built for high notes. The 6h has a warmer, more malleable sound.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

Thanks for the quick replies. The numbers on the 24h are pretty much the same as the numbers on a King 2B. The 2B was and is a popular lead horn (I think Dorsey played one), but I don’t recall reading that the 30s or 40s jazz players used a 24h. Any idea why? The tone of 24h seems to have a bit more edge than the tone of my 2B, which seems like a good thing to me.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A 2B is dual bore with a slightly larger bore in the lower slide tube (the lower inner slide is thinner walled than the upper inner slide).

There are a number of good 0.485 horns out there, including the Martin Imperial, the Holton TR-65, and the Bach 6.

There were some famous players who used 4H or 24H Conns, although I cant name any off-hand.

They do make nice lead horns.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
spangy

Post by spangy »

I believe Jack Teagarden played a 24h for a period of time.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I did a little snooping on Conn Loyalist and found that Si Zentner played a 24H for a while (although I thought he played a 2B).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
bellend

Post by bellend »

Here's a bit of the beautiful playing by Mr Dick Noel who played a Conn 24H

and here's Si Zentner and his orchestra he's playing a 24h but I get the impression that this might have been a deal with Conn for the TV show as he is hunting about a bit for some of the higher partials . Every other picture I have of him he's playing a Martin or much later a King

I had a 24H many years and loved it, to me they play much bigger than the bore size would suggest.

Some people say they don't blend well with other brands but I never found it a big problem.

BellEnd
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

The '41 Conn 24H you have is more than likely not the Si Zentner version, which is a later "Victor" with the factory LW slide. More than likely it's the older, "Tricky Sam" version, with the standard weight slide. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways, the 24H is an "under the radar" horn than you get for practically nothing on Ebay, which plays surprisingly well. With the 7" bell, it plays compact; same nice verticalness as the 6H, and seems to balance better than a 4H when holding it. With the closer bell, you can also hear yourself a little easier with the 24H.
One of my favorite horns. :good:
bellend

Post by bellend »

Actually, I think the Victor name was only used on 6H's /5H's the 24H was listed (from memory) as Artist.

I had a couple of them one pre WW2 and one post and you are right that the earlier ones were built more sturdily.
Both great little horns in there own way, don't know why they were not more popular ? except maybe the dominance of the King 2B

Ive attached a couple of Pictures of Murray McEachern's 24H interesting to see how much the tuning slide has been chopped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”