Schilke-built Greenhoes

paulyg

Schilke-built Greenhoes

Post by paulyg »

I'm a proud owner of a gb4 with a gold bell. I love how it plays and it is constructed magnificently well.

The information on these horns is sparse, however. Not a whole lot of info on specs. For instance, I'm not sure if mine has a tenor or bass crook. The leadpipes are also mysterious. Anyone have insights into the various options offered on these horns?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Burgerbob

Re: Schilke-built Greenhoes

Post by Burgerbob »

Easy enough! Just desolder the crook from the slide and measure the ID with some good calipers.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Last I heard, M&W were using M/K Drawing and Bending leadpipes in their horns. The MK50 and MK42 in the Bach style horns, and the GR in their Conn style horns.

I don’t know about their tuning slides or end crooks. For the t-slides, though, I’d guess it’s a proprietary secret, with some adjustments in taper and bend to address the tuning quirks. But that’s purely a guess...
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Call them and ask.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:05 pm Last I heard, M&W were using M/K Drawing and Bending leadpipes in their horns. The MK50 and MK42 in the Bach style horns, and the GR in their Conn style horns.

I don’t know about their tuning slides or end crooks. For the t-slides, though, I’d guess it’s a proprietary secret, with some adjustments in taper and bend to address the tuning quirks. But that’s purely a guess...
I don't think MW Trombones have anything to do with the Greenhoes coming out of Schilke.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

fwbassbone wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm Call them and ask.
I had hoped to avoid a definitive answer, I'd rather encourage conjecture/speculation/misinformation/vicious rumors.

To my eye the crook does look a hair wider than the slide tubes.

I am still curious about the leadpipes. There is a "2" pipe that is short-ish (standard length) and a "1" pipe that is much longer. The "1" pipe plays a little tighter.
Paul Gilles
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

norbie2018 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:37 pm I don't think MW Trombones have anything to do with the Greenhoes coming out of Schilke.
Woops! Sorry abut the confusion!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

norbie2018 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:37 pm
Kbiggs wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:05 pm Last I heard, M&W were using M/K Drawing and Bending leadpipes in their horns. The MK50 and MK42 in the Bach style horns, and the GR in their Conn style horns.

I don't think MW Trombones have anything to do with the Greenhoes coming out of Schilke.
Norbie2018 is correct.
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
MichaelZielinski

Post by MichaelZielinski »

paulyg wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm I'm a proud owner of a gb4 with a gold bell. I love how it plays and it is constructed magnificently well.

The information on these horns is sparse, however. Not a whole lot of info on specs. For instance, I'm not sure if mine has a tenor or bass crook. The leadpipes are also mysterious. Anyone have insights into the various options offered on these horns?
Hi Paul,

The Greenhoe Tenor Trombone handslide crooks are uniform for the the GB4, GC4 and GC4-TIS models. These crooks somewhat defy the typical “tenor” or “bass” descriptions. They are wide crooks, and a larger bore size than traditional “tenor” crooks. But they are a slightly smaller bore size than traditional “bass” crooks. The result of this unique bore size is a big feel and sound, yet more efficient than the traditional “bass” crooks on tenor trombones which can be a bit tubby. They are somewhat of a “Goldilocks” design…not too small and not too large.

The crooks on Greenhoe Bass Trombone models are also unique. They are slightly wider than the tenor crooks, and are a larger bore size, what you would traditionally consider to be a “bass” crook. Like the tenor crook counterparts, they are uniform across GB5, GC5 & GC5-TIS models and eliminate the tubby feeling experienced when playing other bass trombones. There is a big, broad sound from this crook design, but a more pure feel with a greatly improved response compared to traditional bass trombone crooks.

These handslide crooks designed by Gary Greenhoe all feature a dual French curve design which accelerates the air through the crook, improving the overall response of the trombone. Greenhoe handslide crooks come standard in nickel silver for all current models. GC4, GC4-TIS, GC5 and GC5-TIS handslides can be special ordered with a red brass crook. GB4 and GB5 handslides can be special ordered with either a yellow brass or red brass crook.

Leadpipes are specific to each style of tenor (and bass). There are two leadpipes that are specific to the GB4 models, and two different leadpipes that are specific to the GC4/GC4-TIS models. There are two leadpipes for each model, offering a tighter or more open blow depending upon which leadpipe you use. Leadpipes are currently offered in yellow brass. Additional alloy options for leadpipes are currently in development.

Kindest Regards,

Michael Zielinski
Schilke Music Products, Inc.
Greenhoe Trombones
Michael Zielinski
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

MichaelZielinski wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 am
paulyg wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm I'm a proud owner of a gb4 with a gold bell. I love how it plays and it is constructed magnificently well.

Hi Paul,

The Greenhoe Tenor Trombone handslide crooks are uniform for the the GB4, GC4 and GC4-TIS models. These crooks somewhat defy the typical “tenor” or “bass” descriptions. They are wide crooks, and a larger bore size than traditional “tenor” crooks. But they are a slightly smaller bore size than traditional “bass” crooks. The result of this unique bore size is a big feel and sound, yet more efficient than the traditional “bass” crooks on tenor trombones which can be a bit tubby. They are somewhat of a “Goldilocks” design…not too small and not too large.

The crooks on Greenhoe Bass Trombone models are also unique. They are slightly wider than the tenor crooks, and are a larger bore size, what you would traditionally consider to be a “bass” crook. Like the tenor crook counterparts, they are uniform across GB5, GC5 & GC5-TIS models and eliminate the tubby feeling experienced when playing other bass trombones. There is a big, broad sound from this crook design, but a more pure feel with a greatly improved response compared to traditional bass trombone crooks.

These handslide crooks designed by Gary Greenhoe all feature a dual French curve design which accelerates the air through the crook, improving the overall response of the trombone. Greenhoe handslide crooks come standard in nickel silver for all current models. GC4, GC4-TIS, GC5 and GC5-TIS handslides can be special ordered with a red brass crook. GB4 and GB5 handslides can be special ordered with either a yellow brass or red brass crook.

Leadpipes are specific to each style of tenor (and bass). There are two leadpipes that are specific to the GB4 models, and two different leadpipes that are specific to the GC4/GC4-TIS models. There are two leadpipes for each model, offering a tighter or more open blow depending upon which leadpipe you use. Leadpipes are currently offered in yellow brass. Additional alloy options for leadpipes are currently in development.

Kindest Regards,

Michael Zielinski
Schilke Music Products, Inc.
Greenhoe Trombones
Thank you for the detailed response.
Paul Gilles

Return to “Instruments”