Bach 5QB2O?

StPetersBone

Bach 5QB2O?

Post by StPetersBone »

I recently acquired a bass trombone that I played in high school (about 13 years ago) from my former band director.

She is not a trombonist and the horn has sat untouched for the past 10 years.

Since I last saw it, the trombone had some modifications done to the trigger set-up. Previously, it's second valve trigger was a custom-made middle finger paddle.

I suspect this horn was originally a 50B2 that was converted to have a more open wrap - likely when the trigger was modified.

The horn has a great sound and an open feel but has its fair share of issues. Including:
  • A broken, possibly custom, solder joint
  • A slide that's about a 5/10
  • A less than ideal trigger set-up (smooth, but an ergonomic nightmare)
  • and some minor dents
I love the bell, the tone is fantastic, and I'd really like to see this horn brought back to its full potential.

So, I'm asking for any suggestions in terms of valve replacements and/or technicians to do the work. Hit me with your best ideas bass trombone buddies.

Pictures of before and after cleanup:
hyperbolica

Re: Bach 5QB2O?

Post by hyperbolica »

I'd send it to the slide doctor, and if you can't live with the trigger mechanism, get it switched to a middle finger set up. Maybe a chem clean, valve alignment, lube, and then cruise. Or just send it to me, I'll try to enjoy it for you :cool:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Depending on where you are there are lots of great techs who could go over the horn and fix what's needed. I would venture to say many are as good (or even better) than the Slide Doctor (although he's pretty good too).

You could get it converted to Axial valves, Hagmann valves, or just improved rotors. You can get it converted to independent operation. Lots of alternatives.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

Personally I'd send the slide to the slide doc.Then take some wrights brass polish to the Bell and see if I could clean up that red rot, hopefully getting it looking good again. I'd also see about getting the triggers split.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

The finish of the bell and valve tubing in the after-cleaning pictures looks already good enough for me. And if the valves don't stuck, or too stuffy for your liking, or if you don't dislike the valves in general, maybe valve replacement is not necessary. Personally I would get the slide working at least 8/10 again, and convert the double thumb paddle to split trigger. And also thorough cleaning and check-up/refurbishment of joints.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That actually looks like the stock linkages to me but they seem to have been broken over time. They are supposed to be parallel with the lower bell brace. To be on the safe side... i'd budget probably $600-$1000 to redo the linkages, get the slide working, and cover any other misc. problems. I'd get a chem clean too. This is before you do anything cosmetic, of course. However, it could well be less than that. But you'll have a sweet horn at the end of it!
StPetersBone

Post by StPetersBone »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm leaning towards replacing the valve setup to an independent configuration. Possibly Axial-flow, but I'm curious to try some Instrument Innovations rotors.

I'm located in St. Peterburg, FL. Is anyone aware of a qualified tech within driving distance?

Return to “Instruments”