Wider slide for YBL-613H

aaronhynds

Wider slide for YBL-613H

Post by aaronhynds »

Hello, all!

I recently purchased a YBL-613H, and since I am the owner of a rather large head and broad neck, I was wondering if it would be possible to get something like a Shires-style wider slide for the horn. I'm mostly a tuba player (although I am consciously making the bass bone a bigger part of my playing life!), and I'm not sure if this is even possible. Any info is appreciated!

P.S., I recently switched from a Getzen 1062, and although I'll always love that horn, I have to say that I am loving the independent valves!
Matt K
Verified

Re: Wider slide for YBL-613H

Post by Matt K »

The crook on it should already be around the same width as most other basses. The span for my Edwards, for reference, is 4.25 measured from center to center. Is that similar to yours? What you might be able to do is have a tech loosen the solder around that spot and change the angle of the slide so it angles away from the bell.
mrdeacon

Re: Wider slide for YBL-613H

Post by mrdeacon »

aaronhynds wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 pm Hello, all!

I recently purchased a YBL-613H, and since I am the owner of a rather large head and broad neck, I was wondering if it would be possible to get something like a Shires-style wider slide for the horn. I'm mostly a tuba player (although I am consciously making the bass bone a bigger part of my playing life!), and I'm not sure if this is even possible. Any info is appreciated!

P.S., I recently switched from a Getzen 1062, and although I'll always love that horn, I have to say that I am loving the independent valves!
Like MattK said, you misconstruing what a wide slide is. I'm also fairly certain that the slide on a 613H is a wide slide. A "wide" slide just means the slide has a Bach 50B width crook. This size is fairly universal and almost every modern bass trombone on the market uses a Bach bass width crook.

The difference between the Getzen and the Yamaha is in the bell section, not the slide. The Getzen has a pretty wide and beefy bell section. Without seeing pictures of you holding the horn its hard to tell what the solution might be. It could be you need the triggers adjusted, the angle of the slide receiver adjusted or some other solution.

Take the horn to a reputable tech (a real tech and not some random person) and they should know what to do.

What's your problem with the ergos? Are you hitting your hand on the bell? Trouble holding the horn?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Instruments”