Bach Sterling Plus bells

greenbean

Bach Sterling Plus bells

Post by greenbean »

Bach has offered silver bells for the past few decades, I believe. I recall some discussion on TTF about these bells being very different than King's silver bells.

Can anyone with real-world experience with these bells discuss?...

Also, do these horns bring premium prices?...

Thanks, y'all! :good:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Re: Bach Sterling Plus bells

Post by BGuttman »

If I recall correctly, SGX bells are electroformed. King Sterling bells are made from sheet.

The electroformed bells are 100% silver while Sterling is 92.5% (balance copper). I would expect the copper to make the bell a little stronger.

While I played a 2B Silvertone, I have never played a Bach or Conn SGX so I can't compare.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The Bach bells are soft, soft, and soft. You look at sideways and it will dent. Look at it directly and it may wrinkle.

Sound is interesting, but not the same density as the King silver Sonics.

I got one at a discount, sold it on at an OK price, not a premium.

Cheers,
Andy
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have an Edwards Sterling bell. It is well made from sheet. It has lots of character. I played a Bach electroformed A few years ago. It was almost numb and sterile. And too thin to be useful. When I clank my Edwards bell it has no particular pitch and you can hear the overtones waver. The Bach bell had a pitch to it that played different when you are near it.
I heard a trumpet player comment on two copper bells the same way. One was sheet and the other electroformed. He had the same issues with the electroformed.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

I have both a 2B Silversonic (Sterling Sheet) and a 16M Sterling Plus (electroformed), because I have a problem with ooo shiny. I also have brass versions of the same horns.

I really dig the 16M's bell. It's silly soft and crazy thin, and to me is really responsive and vibrant (at least, compared to the yellow and gold brass 16M bells I have). It defaults to more of a bright tone and I doubt it would hold together as well at higher dynamics...but haven't tried since I don't ever need to play that loudly. The silver bell is much lighter than the brass bells. I don't get a numb or sterile vibe from it, I like it a lot. Maybe I found a good one? I've heard that people find the Sterling Plus bells to affect projection, but to be honest, I have no clue.

The Silversonic, bore size aside, is a MUCH darker playing horn. The bell is significantly heavier than the brass version and really doesn't seem to wake up until mid dynamics, but can really hold together at louder dynamics without going full chainsaw. It's got a more....shimmery? sound. I like the horn a lot, but it's a very different beast.

As far as sound character goes....one sounds like a Bach with something extra, the other sounds like a King with something extra. They both have complex sounds but they are very different complex sounds.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Are the Conn 88h Sterling bells also electroformed?

The one I've seen in the flesh had a super heavy bell. Cool horn and played great but wasn't something I would ever purchase and use daily.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Instruments”