Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

sirisobhakya

Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

Post by sirisobhakya »

A promotional ideo from Yamaha popped up in my Facebook page yesterday, and I got curious. It was about the new YSL-823G, a collaboration project with Nakagawa Eijiro that will go on sale on 25 September. I thought, based on my background knowledge of Mr.Nakagawa, that it would be a medium-bore tenorbass trombone (which Yamaha's Custom and Xeno range lacks), but I was wrong.

The horn has .547" bore and 8.5" gold brass bell. It is lightened by thinner gauge bell, removing tuning slide guard rings, removing slide brace strengthener, and no slide sleeves. In other words: a really lightweight large-bore horn. The specs and characteristics (in Japanese) can be found here: https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... oduct-tabs

I understand the purpose of the horn for Mr.Nakagawa. He said, according to the promotional text, that he has recorded with large-bore horn many times, and wants a large-bore horn with superior response; with a sound he can control and color easily. It also makes sense considering Japanese sound concept in general, which is normally light and bright.

The thing I am wondering is: is there really a market potential for this type of horn elsewhere in the world? The world that orchestral horns tend towards heavy weight and jazz horn are normally medium-bore. Also the price tag of JPY420K (slightly more expensive than the 882OR at 415K) is quite intimidating. For reference, a YBL-830 Xeno bass is at 515K, while the ridiculously expensive V-valve is at 465K.

If anyone has a chance to try it, please also give opinion and thoughts.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Rusty

Re: Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

Post by Rusty »

Just came across this model mentioned elsewhere, and really like Eijiro Nakagawa's playing, has anyone had any experience on the 823G or 823GD detachable bell model?
RJMason

Re: Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

Post by RJMason »

Really would love to try this horn, especially the GD, as I currently play an 891ZD and think the screw collars make Yamaha’s more interesting sounding, better feedback, and improved projection.

I spoke to someone at Yamaha last year and they told me it would have to be a custom order from Japan and I would have to commit to purchasing it before getting to try it. Don’t feel comfortable rolling the dice on it right now.

I spent several weeks with the 895EN and truly loved the sound of the horn. One of the most lush sounding small bores I ever tried. It’s a bit front heavy, the bell is further away than the 891 (ever so slightly) and the lead pipe in that .508 horn is fixed and even tighter of a blow than the 891 offerings. The 891ZD gets a bit more of the 895EN sound profile with the yellow brass screw collar.

I think the .547 horn, even if it’s a tighter blow than other .547, might be the ticket. One of these days!

Return to “Instruments”