Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

sirisobhakya

Yamaha YSL-823G - Lightweight Large-Bore Tenor?

Post by sirisobhakya »

A promotional ideo from Yamaha popped up in my Facebook page yesterday, and I got curious. It was about the new YSL-823G, a collaboration project with Nakagawa Eijiro that will go on sale on 25 September. I thought, based on my background knowledge of Mr.Nakagawa, that it would be a medium-bore tenorbass trombone (which Yamaha's Custom and Xeno range lacks), but I was wrong.

The horn has .547" bore and 8.5" gold brass bell. It is lightened by thinner gauge bell, removing tuning slide guard rings, removing slide brace strengthener, and no slide sleeves. In other words: a really lightweight large-bore horn. The specs and characteristics (in Japanese) can be found here: https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... oduct-tabs

I understand the purpose of the horn for Mr.Nakagawa. He said, according to the promotional text, that he has recorded with large-bore horn many times, and wants a large-bore horn with superior response; with a sound he can control and color easily. It also makes sense considering Japanese sound concept in general, which is normally light and bright.

The thing I am wondering is: is there really a market potential for this type of horn elsewhere in the world? The world that orchestral horns tend towards heavy weight and jazz horn are normally medium-bore. Also the price tag of JPY420K (slightly more expensive than the 882OR at 415K) is quite intimidating. For reference, a YBL-830 Xeno bass is at 515K, while the ridiculously expensive V-valve is at 465K.

If anyone has a chance to try it, please also give opinion and thoughts.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”

Return to “Instruments”