Jazz trombone

8parktoollover

Jazz trombone

Post by 8parktoollover »

Hi
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good probably Chinese made jazz trombone? I'm a student and I don't play a lot of jazz but I do need a jazz one but one that's not too expensive
Thanks?
hyperbolica

Re: Jazz trombone

Post by hyperbolica »

I have a 24h in great playing condition from the 1930s I could be convinced to sell. Small bore, authentic sound.
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

You can get good vintage horns for jazz for cheap or you can just get a used Yamaha YSL 354. I see them below $150 all the time. They are astoundingly consistent from horn to horn and have been used by pros. If you are very low budget and want to make sure to get a decent, reliable horn, the Yamaha is hard to beat. There's a fairly lengthy list of vintage horns that can be had for a low price that play well for jazz, several that have been played by some of the greats over the years. Did you have a particular budget and do you have a particular goal you are looking for with this horn?

Oh, and what trombones do you usually play on?
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

SirJohn wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 am You can get good vintage horns for jazz for cheap or you can just get a used Yamaha YSL 354. I see them below $150 all the time. They are astoundingly consistent from horn to horn and have been used by pros. If you are very low budget and want to make sure to get a decent, reliable horn, the Yamaha is hard to beat. There's a fairly lengthy list of vintage horns that can be had for a low price that play well for jazz, several that have been played by some of the greats over the years. Did you have a particular budget and do you have a particular goal you are looking for with this horn?

Oh, and what trombones do you usually play on?
Probably under 1,000 dollars currently I play on a Bach 42bo and use a old King 606 for jazz. The king could hold out for another few years. Although if I waited long enough I probably would want to get a nicer horn though.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

For 1000 USD you should be able to get a pretty nice used straight horn.
I'm no expert for that kind of horn, but I am sure you can find a Conn 6h or King 3b for this price.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

I second cozzagiorgi.
Obvious step up from your 606 is King 2b, 2b+, 3b, or 3b+ or one of several models of Conn.
The 3b's are a little bigger bore than 2b's so a little closer to the 42 if you are going back and forth.
With a little searching and patience, you could easily find a nice jazzer in budget.
Chat classifieds good place to start. :idea:
I am a sucker for old horns, as are many on this forum, but there are plenty of affordable late model horns that can fill that spot.
If the 606 is in decent shape, it should hold its own in a jazz setting for a while longer.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

JP Rath 230
Yamaha 354
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
havard

Post by havard »

i recommend conn 6h to. elkhart of possible. i think they are fantastic horns both for solo and section . it produce Lots of sound and works unmiced as well .
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

Yes, for $1000 you can do very well with a good condition used horn, and have a pro level jazz horn that can hold its own in big band or combo settings. King 3B 2B Conn 6H and many others.

Right now, you can find all kinds of King 3B (or King 2103) with a .508 bore on Craigslist or Ebay. You're already in the King family! I play a 3B and routinely switch from a 42BO. Totally different, but a more friendly shift than perhaps a 2B, but I have played older 2Bs that were free blowing. Solid metal, familiar to repair folks, and can blend with a section or light up on lead.

Here is an example of what I'd look for: I do not own this horn, so I'm not selling it. I do not know this cat. I can't endorse this particular horn, but from the ad it sounds like owned by a player who has kept it up, and the pictures are very detailed. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/ ... 42367.html

The student Yamaha, tons of them for sale. So you could be picky for one with a great slide. I don't know that you'd find it a real step up from the 606, but could be more free blowing or have a clean slide. Tons to choose from so you could get the best used horn for the price.

If you're set on a new horn, maybe wait for the Wessex .500 small bore to be available. I hear on the Tuba Euph forums good things about customer service etc compared to other makers.

If used, be sure to play test, and for me, any bare spots on inner slide stocking is a no go, could be evidence of a long term problem not addressed and would always have a little hitch in long positions.

Best on your hunt.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

In addition to the models mentioned, I'll toss out the Selmer Bolero. Fantastic little horn that holds it's own in a jazz setting. Rob Stoneback used one for years. Can usually be found under $1000 in good shape.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns

Return to “Instruments”