sterling silver tuning slide

havard

sterling silver tuning slide

Post by havard »

i have thought about the idea of a sterling silver tuning slide . i feel the alloy of the tuning slide really have an impact on the sound and character of the horn. i have tried and used yellow , red and rose tuning slides . and i see there are some nickel tuning slides out there .

i have played sterling silver in different ways on two horns.
on the conn sgx -all ss - i experienced a very complex sound. it was a heavy horn with deep , dence core and incredible projection .it had a wide spektrum of overtones , making it a bit demanding blending in the section as far as i remember . but a very nice horn all over . i could play incredibly loud . the horn never break up , the sound just travel further away. it was a bit heavy response i remember .

on the edwards the silver leadpipes were for me superior to the brass . i used the kitzman silver pipe. it was medium open and a bit shorter than the standard .
the ss pipes gave a lot more dense , "juicy" core . more substance in the attack and better projection . still Lots of overtones. maybe the brass was more nimble and flexible .

i find ss a lot different than nickel . only the color is similar . i find nickel hard and unflexible .

i miss the unique sterling silver character of some of my horns. they have mounted leadpipes. then i thought about the tuning slides . that would are a significant amount of sterling silver on an important area of the horn with no modifications on the horn .
m/k drawings make ss tuning slides for trumpets , and they get great reviews .

while there are all ss trombones and ss leadpipes why are there not any tuning slides being made ? or slide end crooks. anyone having an idea?
TheSheriff

Re: sterling silver tuning slide

Post by TheSheriff »

havard wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:32 pm i have thought about the idea of a sterling silver tuning slide . i feel the alloy of the tuning slide really have an impact on the sound and character of the horn. i have tried and used yellow , red and rose tuning slides . and i see there are some nickel tuning slides out there .

i have played sterling silver in different ways on two horns.
on the conn sgx -all ss - i experienced a very complex sound. it was a heavy horn with deep , dence core and incredible projection .it had a wide spektrum of overtones , making it a bit demanding blending in the section as far as i remember . but a very nice horn all over . i could play incredibly loud . the horn never break up , the sound just travel further away. it was a bit heavy response i remember .

on the edwards the silver leadpipes were for me superior to the brass . i used the kitzman silver pipe. it was medium open and a bit shorter than the standard .
the ss pipes gave a lot more dense , "juicy" core . more substance in the attack and better projection . still Lots of overtones. maybe the brass was more nimble and flexible .

i find ss a lot different than nickel . only the color is similar . i find nickel hard and unflexible .

i miss the unique sterling silver character of some of my horns. they have mounted leadpipes. then i thought about the tuning slides . that would are a significant amount of sterling silver on an important area of the horn with no modifications on the horn .
m/k drawings make ss tuning slides for trumpets , and they get great reviews .

while there are all ss trombones and ss leadpipes why are there not any tuning slides being made ? or slide end crooks. anyone having an idea?
======

Cost is certainly a factor. Perhaps you could contact M/K drawing and ask.

---------
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
whitbey

Re: sterling silver tuning slide

Post by whitbey »

I have a sterling silver Edwards bell. I would love to have a sterling silver tuning slide for my Edwards brass bell.
The sterling bell sounds so nice but does not give the pop or edge to the beginning of the notes that directors want.
A ss slide might let the bell give the edge and still beef up those sweet overtones.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”