Conn 6h slide compatibility

MrHCinDE

Conn 6h slide compatibility

Post by MrHCinDE »

Hi Trombonechat community.

Can anyone shed some light on the compatibility of a 1920s Conn 6h slide with a newer (1970s) version of the 6h? How’s the mechanical fit? What about the length? Sound?

Thanks in advance
BGuttman

Re: Conn 6h slide compatibility

Post by BGuttman »

Length is probably OK, but the bell nut came in late in the 1920s and the one on Ebay (if that's the one you are talking about) is a friction fit.

A lot of 6H's with bad slides got new life adding a Director slide; especially a later Director which is 0.500"
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Yes, it was the one on the 'bay' I was thinking of, I saw it quite late on and couldn't figure out in time whether it could work for me. I hadn't clocked that it didn't have the nut.

I'm interested in offers if anyone has a 6h (or Director - thanks for hte suggestion) slide going spare.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

I have 6Hs from 1928 (259xxx, no bell nut) and 1965 (E65xxx).

The 1929 slide tenon in the 1965 bell stands ca. 5 mm farther out than from the 1929 bell. The 1965 slide tenon stands ca. 2 mm farther out from the 1929 bell than from the 1965 bell. Both tenons fit both bells tighly - no wobble.

The 1929 slide is about 9 mm longer, measured from the mouthpiece receiver to the vertex of the crook,
and the tenon is ca. 10 mm longer. The shape of the crooks is slightly different, the 1929 being a bit more square. The width of the slides ist 71,3 (1928) versus 70,0 millimeters (1965).
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

I've got two. One is a Director 23H slide. Nickel crook, gold brass outers, chromed nickel inners in great condition, and just aligned. Specs are remarkably close to the Elkhart 6H's original specs, with the differences being no oversleeves on the outers, and a different style of cork barrel. The other is not marked, but a .500 Conn slide that would fit a 6H. It has nickel outers and crook. Inners have one spot of missing chrome which I rotated to the bottom of the inner, and it's just been aligned. It has a Saturn water key and a removable friction-fit leadpipe.

Either one is $275 shipped. That's less than you would have paid for the Ebay one, plus the work it would have needed. Pictures are here:
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

A Conn 48H Connstellation slide would be a perfect fit. A guy has had one posted on CL for quite a while. $300, I think. I don't recall where - somewhere in the western states...

Or if you pick up a complete 48H, they could share the slide! The two horns would sound quite different.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Chiptingle

Post by Chiptingle »

I want to echo the 48H suggestion, as the breadth of sound possibilities is great with these two bells and slides, let alone any change of mouthpiece.

6H Bell/48H Slide - Lead, brighter, lighter
48H Bell/6H Slide - darker, broader, ease of loud dynamic
48H/48H loudest setup, R&B, Salsa
6H/6H section, warm, jazz solo

Return to “Instruments”