Multi Bore slide receiver

SwissTbone

Multi Bore slide receiver

Post by SwissTbone »

Hey!

I am an avid fan of Hagmann valves and am the happy owner of a tenor and a bass trombone built by René Hagmann himself. Today I browsed his website www.trombone.ch and stumbled over this:
Our multi-bore slide receiver

The slide receiver is the conical female tubing section in which the slide is inserted. Ours is dedicated to all symphonic trombones featuring a.547"/13.9 mm. bore, like the Bach 42B, Courtois 420, Edwards’s models, etc.

For most favorable results when converting or making a trombone, one should use:

The appropriate René Hagmann Free Flow valve, dedicated to the instrument design
A continuous F wrap matching the trombone nominal bore
A slide receiver with corresponding length and bore
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Experimentation has led us to believe that the length and geometry of the air column in the slide receiver are of utmost importance for the general emission, the balance between registers and the overall tone color. The critical zone, so called the "chamber", is located between the conical end of the slide and the valve duct.

Our exclusive multi-bore slide receiver comes complete with a set of two interchangeable inserts designed to modify the diameter of the chamber. The diameter of this zone may thus be reduced from 16 to 14 mm on about 16 mm. of the receiver length. Our standard assembly includes both 14 mm. and 15 mm.bore inserts with their adequate extracting tool.

It has the following incidence on the overall sound:

when the 14 mm. bore converter is inserted: the emission is well centered, the upper register is very good, the overall tone is clearer with a greater ease of blowing. The lower register is slightly thinner yet well centered.
when the 15 mm. bore converter is inserted: the best compromise between emission and tone quality.
with no insert (16 mm. bore): the tone features a very mellow darker quality, yet more resistant. Impressive low notes but with slightly more resistance in the upper register.
Please note we manufacture any intermediate insert upon special request.

Thanks to our multi-bore slide receiver, the performer can customize his sound and truly improve the overall quality of his instrument.
You can find the text by visiting www.trombone.ch and browsing to "kits".

Now, this got me curious. What do you all think of the concept? Anyone playtested it? Anyone tested a similar concept? Curious also to see what the hornbuilders out there think.

I will test it in the future as I don' t live to far away from his shop, but still curious what other trombone geeks think of the concept!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
down8ve

Re: Multi Bore slide receiver

Post by down8ve »

Good catch, this has bothered me for years. Although I learned to not enjoy Hagmann's, I have to admit this is a very astute idea. Good for them.

Scott Moore
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

down8ve wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:23 am Good catch, this has bothered me for years. Although I learned to not enjoy Hagmann's, I have to admit this is a very astute idea. Good for them.

Scott Moore
I actually think it isn't a new idea at all. If I remember right, I've already seen this bit on their website some years ago. But I either didn't understand it or I didn't care for it.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Conn 88h can accept a 525, 547 and 562 slide without any adapters. They've been doing this for a long time. I personally use both 525 and 547 on my Elkhart, I feel with great success. Is this Haggman idea somehow different?
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

I believe the Hagmann device is to reduce the "gap" where the male tenon ends & the taper of the female receiver continues back down to the nominal bore. this area acts as a kind of venturi, or as they call it a chamber where the bore is larger for a short section. Because the wall thickness of the male has to be thicker for strength, there can be quite a large & sudden jump in bore size, in an area which could potentially lie at many different nodes/ antinodes. The short sleeves are designed to reduce the bore back down to the bore size at the end of the slide.
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

here's a (not to scale) diagram of where the "chamber" is
gap.png
Note that Hagmann follows the McCracken design philosophy that the receiver/valve/ f-attachment bore should be the same as the slide bore, where most other designs have a larger bore starting at the end of the tenon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

From what I understand from the french version (wich I speak much better than english) three different siezs of those receivers allow to make this chamber bigger or smaller.

Should have a similar effect as a bigger or smaller leadpipe. No?

Return to “Instruments”