Reynolds Model 70 ~`1959

meep

Reynolds Model 70 ~`1959

Post by meep »

Hello, new to the board and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this horn. I picked one up that's pretty beat up with heavy wear on the inner slide and was wondering if it was worth trying to get it fixed up.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I enjoy the site.
Posaunus

Re: Reynolds Model 70 ~`1959

Post by Posaunus »

From
http://contemporacorner.com/trombones/p ... trombones/

Circa 1949, Reynolds redesigned their entire trombone line. The new designs bear more than a passing resemblance to trombones made by Olds (where founder Foster A. Reynolds was working after selling Reynolds in 1946) rather than the previously modeled King trombones. The previous F.A. Reynolds models were replaced by the Reynolds “Professional” model. Serial number 22000 (c.1949) marks the approximate change to the updated design.
c.1949-1952
Model 70 Bore: .500″ Bell: 7½”
Reynolds Professional Tenor Trombone | Body: Brass bell, nickel-silver gooseneck, tuning slide, bracing and trim; brass “R” counterweight | Slide: chrome-plated nickel silver inner slides; brass outer slides with nickel-silver sleeves and handgrip | Finish: clear lacquer finish; optional silverplate bright bell or silverplate gold bell finish.

An expert tech might be able to replace the inner slides since they are "standard" 0.500" bore. Expect to invest a few 100$ additional. :idk:
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

You beat me to the punch Posaunus!
meep: Might be worth at least making playable to see if a more detailed restore is warranted.
I just bought my first Reynolds (1961) that I have been playing for a couple weeks.
I really like it. Nice response. slots well, good slide.
Solid horns. Seems like most who play them like them even if not primary or preferred horn.
That website has a lot of great info although not sure administrator is a very active.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I like my Reynolds - but it's a completely different animal from the Model 70.

Mine is a Model 35 "Contempora" made in Cleveland in 1958. Entirely diffent horn, different era, different factory.

Medium-bore Tenor trombone w/ closed wrap F-attachment,
0.520" bore, single rotor, 8.5" Bronz-o-lyte bell; nickel-silver tone ring (Kranz), bracing & trim; brass gooseneck & tuning slide crooks.

I like this medium-bore trombone. Refurbished; nearly perfect slide, plays great. Fine for 2nd or 3rd part in a big band.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

I thought a 1958 35 and a 1959 70 were both made in Cleveland, same era? :idk:
At least with respect to that is was the Roth-Reynolds era before RMC.
But you're right, the Contempora was a much different line than the others.
Either way, they are interesting horns. They were making almost too many models at the same time.
Mine is a 1961 Roth, also made in Cleveland but I believe at Ohio Band plant?
Basically a "student" version of the 35 with all brass components except for the nickel silver braces and of course no kranz ring.
Has some minor pitting and minor orange peeling on the lacquer (at hand holds) but otherwise just needed an ultrasonic cleaning and rotor tune up. Lacquer is about 95%. Very playable. :good:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
spangy

Post by spangy »

I have a Reynolds 70 of a similar vintage. Its a nice playing horn. Mine in is pretty good shape with a great slide. I have several Reynolds instruments. I think they are very underrated horns especially for the money.
Replacing inners will probably wind up costing more than the horn is worth. These usually go for under $300 when they come up on ebay or goodwill.
How bad is the wear on the inners? Is it just wear at the end of the stockings? I have several horns with stocking wear with slides that work great. A good cleaning might do wonders for it. I just picked up a 30m Contempera that is a little beat up. The slide has some wear and was pretty dirty. After multiple cleanings( probably about 20) its working pretty good now. Now I'm working on stripping the lacquer since it was pretty rough. Not sure what type of lacquer Reynolds used but its pretty tough. I have the slide and most of the bell done. The difference is pretty amazing.

Return to “Instruments”