Reviews ?
havard

Bach 42 Centennial

Post by havard »

Reviews ? havent tried one yet .
havard

Bach 42 centennial

Post by havard »

have anyone tried this one ? how does it play ?
Last edited by havard on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 42 Centennial

Post by Burgerbob »

I've played one. I thought it was very, very good.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

Definitely a cut above the standard 42BO. The LT42BOFG in particular is quite nice. The couple I tried had scratchy slides. But that’s common in Bach’s in my experience. Conn seems to do a better job with slides, especially the new Elkhart’s. Which is odd since it’s the same factoy now I think? Bottom line: if you like Bach then you’ll probably like them!
havard

Post by havard »

greenhoe Bachs were amazing. one of my finest horn ever was a greenhoe Bach from 2000. gold bell and brass slide .
the centennial valve looks similar . but greenhoes were perfectly assembled. however through the artist select program the risk og a bad horn should be eliminated ?
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I already have two too many Bach 42s, but I don't have a Sterling Plus. I would like to order this as a 42 Custom with the Sterling Plus option. I think that would be a sweet Centennial variant for sure.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 amReviews ?
Below, I have provided a partial one.
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 am I've played one. I thought it was very, very good.
Why doesn’t it surprise me that you’ve tried one? :tongue:
castrubone wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:13 am The LT42BOFG in particular is quite nice...Bottom line: if you like Bach then you’ll probably like them!
I haven’t tried the LT42BOFG. But, I have played enough examples of the LT42BOG to know, new valve aside, that is not the combination of slide and bell for me. For alternative bells, I prefer the Sterling Plus—more about that at a latter date.

But yes, even with my limited play time, I contend that your later assessment is accurate.
havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:58 am have anyone tried this one ? how does it play ?
I bought a Bach 42BOF Centennial Edition about a month ago, but I’ve been on the road. Also, I have an audition later this month. So, I’m not changing equipment until afterwards. All that to say, I haven’t played it much. I am currently playing on a 42AF.

My initial thoughts are these: Visually, it’s a beautiful instrument. The Centennial Edition engraving is very nice. The wrap of the F-attachment has nice lines and is more compact than the 42BO. It plays and sounds as a Bach 42 should. From playing it one time the valve seems to be more open than the standard rotor. The throw is a welcome change from the axial valve of my 42AF. Although the Instrument Innovations (Mike Olsen) sourced Infinity Valve is also a very fine option. If you like the newer French-style cases, the Centennial version is quite lovely with wine interior and commemorative badge.

Speaking of the valve:
havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm greenhoe Bachs were amazing...
the centennial valve looks similar .
It’s actually the Meinlschmidt Open-Flow valve. Some of you may be familiar with this particular valve and certainly with the maker.

While the Open-Flow Valve initially seems to be a great improvement, I will likely tweak the horn to suit me. For starters, I will have the lead pipe pulled as to use something besides the stock 42 one. Or, use one of my other slides with the lead pipe already pulled. And the beautifully engraved bell will likely get swapped.
Bach42t wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm I already have two too many Bach 42s, but I don't have a Sterling Plus. I would like to order this as a 42 Custom with the Sterling Plus option. I think that would be a sweet Centennial variant for sure.
It’s funny you should say this. I also have too many Bach 42s. Please read below about the Sterling Plus.

As much as I love my 42AF, after a year of playing it, I was looking for an alternative to the axial valve. Once again, it is a very fine valve by Instrument Innovations—best axial flow valve I’ve ever played. I heard out about the 42BOF and found one through a certified Conn-Selmer dealer; It was a demo sell. Being the way I am, of course I haggled the price a bit lower. It is a beautiful instrument, but cosmetics and commemoration aside, I just bought it for the valve. I will likely scavenge my 42 Sterling Plus Bell from my 42AF, just as I took it from the 42 before it, and have it mated to the 42BOF.

As far as factory options there is obviously the LT42BOG variant. Jay Friedman was involved with the design of this trombone. And a Jay Friedman signature model is available to order as a “42CUSTOM” with the following options:
Lightweight gold brass bell
Lightweight 50 slide, lightweight or standard 42 slide
Also available to order as a "42CUSTOM" with any of the following options:
-Interchangeable leadpipes
-Yellow standard, lightweight or heavyweight bell
-Gold standard or lightweight bell
-Standard hand slide or lightweight nickel hand slide
-Dual bore hand slide (a first for Bach large bores. I assume it's .547"/.562")
-.562" bass bore hand slide or lightweight nickel hand slide

There are pictures/brochures floating around featuring a gold-plated 42BOF. I wonder if this really exits, or is it a computer manipulated image. If a gold-plated version exits, it's likely in the hands of Canadian Brass trombonist Achilles Liarmakopoulos. If I had the dough and wanted a collector's piece, this is what I would buy.

As I’ve already stated, I haven’t played the the 42BOF very much. I recorded an unboxing video and may post it to YouTube—it’ll be my first video. And I’ll likely follow with a formal review and playing demonstration. I will also start a corresponding thread on this forum. Below, I will link some videos and reviews I discovered online while researching the 42BOF.

Here is an article by Jay Friedman discussing his involvement with developing the 42BOF:
https://www.jayfriedman.net/articles/equipment_notes

And here is a video of Filipe Alves previewing and playing the 42BOF:
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Anyone else on the fence for one of these Centennial models? More so, is there anyone that feels that with every passing month the window of opportunity is closing? Since the special extras are only being made this year.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm
havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 amReviews ?
Below, I have provided a partial one.
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 am I've played one. I thought it was very, very good.
Why doesn’t it surprise me that you’ve tried one? :tongue:
castrubone wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:13 am The LT42BOFG in particular is quite nice...Bottom line: if you like Bach then you’ll probably like them!
I haven’t tried the LT42BOFG. But, I have played enough examples of the LT42BOG to know, new valve aside, that is not the combination of slide and bell for me. For alternative bells, I prefer the Sterling Plus—more about that at a latter date.

But yes, even with my limited play time, I contend that your later assessment is accurate.
havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:58 am have anyone tried this one ? how does it play ?
I bought a Bach 42BOF Centennial Edition about a month ago, but I’ve been on the road. Also, I have an audition later this month. So, I’m not changing equipment until afterwards. All that to say, I haven’t played it much. I am currently playing on a 42AF.

My initial thoughts are these: Visually, it’s a beautiful instrument. The Centennial Edition engraving is very nice. The wrap of the F-attachment has nice lines and is more compact than the 42BO. It plays and sounds as a Bach 42 should. From playing it one time the valve seems to be more open than the standard rotor. The throw is a welcome change from the axial valve of my 42AF. Although the Instrument Innovations (Mike Olsen) sourced Infinity Valve is also a very fine option. If you like the newer French-style cases, the Centennial version is quite lovely with wine interior and commemorative badge.

Speaking of the valve:
havard wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm greenhoe Bachs were amazing...
the centennial valve looks similar .
It’s actually the Meinlschmidt Open-Flow valve. Some of you may be familiar with this particular valve and certainly with the maker.

While the Open-Flow Valve initially seems to be a great improvement, I will likely tweak the horn to suit me. For starters, I will have the lead pipe pulled as to use something besides the stock 42 one. Or, use one of my other slides with the lead pipe already pulled. And the beautifully engraved bell will likely get swapped.
Bach42t wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm I already have two too many Bach 42s, but I don't have a Sterling Plus. I would like to order this as a 42 Custom with the Sterling Plus option. I think that would be a sweet Centennial variant for sure.
It’s funny you should say this. I also have too many Bach 42s. Please read below about the Sterling Plus.

As much as I love my 42AF, after a year of playing it, I was looking for an alternative to the axial valve. Once again, it is a very fine valve by Instrument Innovations—best axial flow valve I’ve ever played. I heard out about the 42BOF and found one through a certified Conn-Selmer dealer; It was a demo sell. Being the way I am, of course I haggled the price a bit lower. It is a beautiful instrument, but cosmetics and commemoration aside, I just bought it for the valve. I will likely scavenge my 42 Sterling Plus Bell from my 42AF, just as I took it from the 42 before it, and have it mated to the 42BOF.

As far as factory options there is obviously the LT42BOG variant. Jay Friedman was involved with the design of this trombone. And a Jay Friedman signature model is available to order as a “42CUSTOM” with the following options:
Lightweight gold brass bell
Lightweight 50 slide, lightweight or standard 42 slide
Also available to order as a "42CUSTOM" with any of the following options:
-Interchangeable leadpipes
-Yellow standard, lightweight or heavyweight bell
-Gold standard or lightweight bell
-Standard hand slide or lightweight nickel hand slide
-Dual bore hand slide (a first for Bach large bores. I assume it's .547"/.562")
-.562" bass bore hand slide or lightweight nickel hand slide

There are pictures/brochures floating around featuring a gold-plated 42BOF. I wonder if this really exits, or is it a computer manipulated image. If a gold-plated version exits, it's likely in the hands of Canadian Brass trombonist Achilles Liarmakopoulos. If I had the dough and wanted a collector's piece, this is what I would buy.

As I’ve already stated, I haven’t played the the 42BOF very much. I recorded an unboxing video and may post it to YouTube—it’ll be my first video. And I’ll likely follow with a formal review and playing demonstration. I will also start a corresponding thread on this forum. Below, I will link some videos and reviews I discovered online while researching the 42BOF.

Here is an article by Jay Friedman discussing his involvement with developing the 42BOF:
https://www.jayfriedman.net/articles/equipment_notes

And here is a video of Filipe Alves previewing and playing the 42BOF:
Thank you for a great post. Did you have the time to do the video or to play the horn a little more?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Anyone else had the time to try them? Any good reviews on youtube?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

This does not surprise me. Marketing for this model seemed quite limited. The Jay Friedman model is not available except by special order, as are the heavy and lightweight bell options so best of luck trying out different combinations. Yes, I get that it will become an common model after this year but it would have been nice to to see more energy around a 100 year anniversary and the extras with it are going away. That being said, I wish there would have been a 36 or 50 variant. Two Bach 42s as much as I adore in one household already seems like overkill to me. :shock: :horror:

Return to “Instruments”