Lawler trombones

TheSheriff

Re: Lawler trombones

Post by TheSheriff »

johntarr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:25 pm Has anyone else tried a model 4 yet? I’m receiving one at the end of the month and am really curious and excited.

Happy holidays to all,

John
Yes, I ordered one, got it, played it, and immediately realized it is too big for me so I sent it back. Great horn with all of the Lawler characteristics, just too large for me. If you are a .525 kind of guy then I believe you will love it.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

My Lawler mod 1 with my buddy's Lawler trumpet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHx58zzpAECzn8rw7
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

Hi all. I've finally had a chance to take my Model 2 for a spin, and it has absolutely lived up to my expectations. I ended up getting all Red brass in the stem/neckpipe, with a nickel silver slide/brass end bow. For flares, I got a .22 yellow brass 8" and a .25 red brass 7.5". Roy was kind enough to send me both a .508 and a .500 slide to try out. They were both fantastic slides, and while the .500 popped nicely and made switching partials even easier (this horn is soooo fluid overall), both I and the people I played blind tests for preferred my tone and palette of colors on the .508, so that's the one I kept.

I can't say enough great things about this horn. The design is fantastic, the horn is very comfortable to hold, and what a great sound. Tons of character, and between the horn itself and the different flares, the amount of variety I can get tone-color-wise is pretty remarkable. If you ever get a chance to play one of these horns, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

The only real issue I have is that my mouthpieces tend to get stuck in the lead pipe very easily. I've tried with a few different mouthpieces (Bach and Schilke), and they all seem to grab on. As long as I remember to put my fingers around the mouthpiece when I pull it out, I can usually get it out without yanking out the leadpipe too, but it's interesting that it's happening so consistently. I wrapped some plumber's tape around the top of my 11C shank so it doesn't go in as far, and that seems to help as well. I'm about to get a new mouthpiece from Doug Elliot with any luck, so maybe this problem will go away. Just curious if anyone else has run into it on their Lawlers

My horn came in one of Roy's new cases, which are also great. It's quite similar to the Marcus Bonna screwball cases, and came with backpack straps and a Protec mouthpiece pouch. I haven't decided if I feel like screwing on the bell every time I play, so I may move the horn over to my Eastman case, but having such a small case is really nice, and the balance of the horn on my back is quite comfortable. (apologies for the driveway photos...better light out there)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

bkessler wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm It's quite similar to the Marcus Bonna screwball cases
:eek: :eek: :eek::wink:
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

bkessler wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm Hi all. I've finally had a chance to take my Model 2 for a spin, and it has absolutely lived up to my expectations. I ended up getting all Red brass in the stem/neckpipe, with a nickel silver slide/brass end bow. For flares, I got a .22 yellow brass 8" and a .25 red brass 7.5". Roy was kind enough to send me both a .508 and a .500 slide to try out. They were both fantastic slides, and while the .500 popped nicely and made switching partials even easier (this horn is soooo fluid overall), both I and the people I played blind tests for preferred my tone and palette of colors on the .508, so that's the one I kept.

I can't say enough great things about this horn. The design is fantastic, the horn is very comfortable to hold, and what a great sound. Tons of character, and between the horn itself and the different flares, the amount of variety I can get tone-color-wise is pretty remarkable. If you ever get a chance to play one of these horns, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

The only real issue I have is that my mouthpieces tend to get stuck in the lead pipe very easily. I've tried with a few different mouthpieces (Bach and Schilke), and they all seem to grab on. As long as I remember to put my fingers around the mouthpiece when I pull it out, I can usually get it out without yanking out the leadpipe too, but it's interesting that it's happening so consistently. I wrapped some plumber's tape around the top of my 11C shank so it doesn't go in as far, and that seems to help as well. I'm about to get a new mouthpiece from Doug Elliot with any luck, so maybe this problem will go away. Just curious if anyone else has run into it on their Lawlers

My horn came in one of Roy's new cases, which are also great. It's quite similar to the Marcus Bonna screwball cases, and came with backpack straps and a Protec mouthpiece pouch. I haven't decided if I feel like screwing on the bell every time I play, so I may move the horn over to my Eastman case, but having such a small case is really nice, and the balance of the horn on my back is quite comfortable. (apologies for the driveway photos...better light out there)
Any ideas who makes these cases?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

sungfw wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:31 pm
bkessler wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm It's quite similar to the Marcus Bonna screwball cases
:eek: :eek: :eek::wink:
Oops! :lol:
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

bkessler, congratulations on your new Lawler model 2. They are great trombones.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

bkessler wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm Hi all. I've finally had a chance to take my Model 2 for a spin, and it has absolutely lived up to my expectations. I ended up getting all Red brass in the stem/neckpipe, with a nickel silver slide/brass end bow. For flares, I got a .22 yellow brass 8" and a .25 red brass 7.5". Roy was kind enough to send me both a .508 and a .500 slide to try out. They were both fantastic slides, and while the .500 popped nicely and made switching partials even easier (this horn is soooo fluid overall), both I and the people I played blind tests for preferred my tone and palette of colors on the .508, so that's the one I kept.

Having recently become a very satisfied owner of a model 4, I can understand your enthusiasm. At the same time I received the horn, I started using Doug Elliott mouthpieces and the two shanks I tried fit perfectly in the Lawler. I suspect one of the reasons I find the Lawler so easy to play is because of Doug’s help with getting me a proper set up.

The case is pretty well made, not quite the quality of a Marcus Bonna case but certainly very good. I took it on the flight back and it fit very easily in the overhead compartment. It’s also a relief not to worry about the horn while others are stuffing the carry ons next to the case. The only disadvantage to the case that I can think of is that it could be mistaken for a viola so I might be the brunt of some viola jokes. And then when they find out it’s really a trombone, the trombone jokes.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

johntarr wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 pm The only disadvantage to the case that I can think of is that it could be mistaken for a viola so I might be the brunt of some viola jokes. And then when they find out it’s really a trombone, the trombone jokes.
Very good, John. I pretty much thought the same thing when I got my case.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

TheSheriff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 am
johntarr wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 pm The only disadvantage to the case that I can think of is that it could be mistaken for a viola so I might be the brunt of some viola jokes. And then when they find out it’s really a trombone, the trombone jokes.
Very good, John. I pretty much thought the same thing when I got my case.
There may be an upside to this situation, however. If the airlines think it’s a violin or viola, then they might be less adamant about checking it. When I was bring ing back a viola for my wife last summer (no joke), one of the ticket checkers said it was too big to carry on and would have to be checked. I responded by saying that it was a very valuable instrument (partly true) and that it would be destroyed if I couldn’t carry it on. She referred me to her superior who politely acquiesced.
keybone

Post by keybone »

What is the length of the new case. I haven’t taken my ‘old’ (18 months!) Lawler case on a plane, but if there is an issue, it would be the length.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Anyone know the price on the new case?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Anyone know the price on the new case?
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

I’ve ordered a Model 3 stem from Roy.
I haven’t tried one, but have no doubt that I’ll be happy with it.
.022 raw yellow brass with the single heavy ferrule to help to balance against my slide, which has the original, heavier tubes.

I’ve been on a ship gig since September. We play a LOT, so I brought an XO Fedchock Model (since it’s much lighter than my .025 Model 1.) I sure do miss the Lawler! It outplays the XO in every possible way, and don’t even get me started about the sound. Think Toyota 4 cylinder vs Lamborghini V10...
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

keybone wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:53 pm What is the length of the new case. I haven’t taken my ‘old’ (18 months!) Lawler case on a plane, but if there is an issue, it would be the length.
Mine is 86cm or 33 1/2” long, which is technically too long but I’ve taken longer cases on board. The Lawler case is very unobtrusive and looks like a viola case so most airlines will let you take it on. Of course it helps not to have another big bag with you, imho.
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm Anyone know the price on the new case?
That would be a question for Mr. Lawler. :clever:
keybone

Post by keybone »

Thank you, johntarr. My ‘old’ case is about 38” long.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

johntarr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:20 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm Anyone know the price on the new case?
It's not listed on the web site. Just wondering if anyone knew.
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

DaveAshley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 pm I’ve ordered a Model 3 stem from Roy.
I haven’t tried one, but have no doubt that I’ll be happy with it.
.022 raw yellow brass with the single heavy ferrule to help to balance against my slide, which has the original, heavier tubes.

I’ve been on a ship gig since September. We play a LOT, so I brought an XO Fedchock Model (since it’s much lighter than my .025 Model 1.) I sure do miss the Lawler! It outplays the XO in every possible way, and don’t even get me started about the sound. Think Toyota 4 cylinder vs Lamborghini V10...
When I was deciding which model to order, I waffled back and forth between the 3 and 4. I settled on the 4 because I like the feel of a .525 bore. While waiting for delivery, I sometimes wondered if I’d made the right decision because I was afraid the 4 would be too big. Fortunately, I stuck with my decision and am completely happy with the 4. If I were playing a lot of lead, salsa and/or horn lines, I’d definitely want a smaller model. Someday I hope to try a model 3. Good luck with your’s.
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm
johntarr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:20 am

It's not listed on the web site. Just wondering if anyone knew.
My guess is that he’s only selling them with the horns and not separately, but if you bought a horn before the new case was out, maybe they’d be available.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Those cases are from Slidebone. He's supposed to be getting more in soon.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Roy says $300 and only sold to people who bought one of his horns.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

I’m fine with the old soft case! It’s teeny-tiny, and I’ve never had any issue with it.
I’ve actually never taken the hard case out of my house, but will probably take it if I ever go on tour again.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got one of those and have used it exactly once. There is no room for anything except the horn. Not even a mouthpiece.
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

Question for folks who have had their Lawler trombones for quite a while: any issues with the threading on either the flares or the stems? One of my section-mates is a plumber, and was wondering if I lubricated the flares or stem, and expressed concern that I hadn't even considered it. Since I'm regularly screwing and unscrewing the flares at this point, should I be using some Hetman 10 or something? Or maybe move the horn to a regular case, only taking off the flare when I need a different one?
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

bkessler wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 pm Question for folks who have had their Lawler trombones for quite a while: any issues with the threading on either the flares or the stems? One of my section-mates is a plumber, and was wondering if I lubricated the flares or stem, and expressed concern that I hadn't even considered it. Since I'm regularly screwing and unscrewing the flares at this point, should I be using some Hetman 10 or something? Or maybe move the horn to a regular case, only taking off the flare when I need a different one?
I have a screw bell that’s older than me. Since coming into ownership of it I use spindle oil on the threads when I clean and re-lube my slide. I don’t expect there to be any issues with my bell or the collars Lawler uses, but “better safe than sorry” is a pretty good mantra to live by with maintenance.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I do lube my screwbell (not a Lawler), both so it doesn't squeak (which it does, very loudly) and so it's just easier to get together and apart.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JerryY

Post by JerryY »

I asked Roy about this when I bought my horn this past month, he stated the collar is Phosphor bronze and requires no lubrication.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well now I have a new issue with my Lawler. Instead of having trouble getting the slide/bell connection to stay tight, now I am having a hard time getting it loose sometimes. I had to take a pair of pliers to it the other day (with a soft cloth inside) to get the nut loose. But I still love it. I am playing an Arthur Pryor solo on it with my community band in a few weeks.

Return to “Instruments”