X00 series Raths

Yorkssteve

X00 series Raths

Post by Yorkssteve »

Hi,

Has anyone else got a 00-series Rath out there? I've had an R400F for about 5 years, and in general it has been ok, although a little bold, brash and brass-bandy.

Just recently, I've been concerned about the longevity and build quality of the instrument. In particular, the soldering seems off. The trigger thumb rest and even the water key have both just fallen off, without being worked very hard.

I know the 00-series was only intended as an intermediate instrument, but even so, it should be lasting more than 5 years, surely?
Mv2541

Re: X00 Series Raths

Post by Mv2541 »

I have a Rath R100 (with a gold brass ts) that is probably around 3 or 4 years old. I live very close to Dillons and I like it better than any real Rath setup I have tried. For a brief time I considered moving to a .508 but this Rath just works for everything I need it to do. Unless I found myself a MD+, you would have to pry the R100 from my cold dead hands. I have never had anyissues with mine, but perhaps the consistency is an issue(?)
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Matt K
Verified

Re: X00 series Raths

Post by Matt K »

Hi yorksteve,

You need two total posts before your posts start showing up automatically. I saw your second post and just went ahead and changed your title since you specifically wanted information about the X00 series.

I wouldn't worry if those are your only concerns. I've had the same problems with Bach, Shires, and Yamaha (the three brands I've had the most exposure to). They are areas of the most frequent amount of pressure being applied to them.

That isn't to say the horn is a good fit for you. I suppose you could say the same thing about certain professional level horns about things such as sounding brash etc. But that isn't the fault of the horn per se burore a matter of it working for some but not others. The Yamaha 882O is like that for me. (the 'Peter Sullivan'). I had one for quite some time and I'm glad I don't have it anymore. They all are really hard to make work for me. But Pete obviously makes it work and I know quire a few people who really like theirs!
Yorkssteve

Re: X00 series Raths

Post by Yorkssteve »

Tell you what, though - Rath's customer service is legendary. Took it over to the factory today, and they offered to put it right AND fix a small crack that I'd miss at no charge. And ship it back to me at their cost. So impressive!

Return to “Instruments”