Yamaha 643

Bonedaddy66

Yamaha 643

Post by Bonedaddy66 »

Hello. Looking for some opinions on the Yamaha 643 with f att. and red brass bell. I know they look like an 88h, but did most of them come close to playing like one? If not, were they a decent horn in their own right? Thank you.
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha 643

Post by BGuttman »

Good horn in its own right.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I have had mine since 1974 great horn. Still use the original tube of slide lube. 0 problems with it.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

There was a thread, or two, about the YSL-643 on TTF. Perhaps it's in the archives.

The YSL-643 was one Renold Schilke's designs, when he was consulting for Yamaha. There were two versions. The original had a nickel slide and a .551" bore. The updated YSL-643 II had a yellow brass slide and, I believe, the bore size of the slide was changed to the more standard .547"large bore. This seems likely, as Yamaha still lists some parts available for the 643 II. And the inner and outer slide tubes (even complete replacement slide) correspond to other, current, Yamaha large bore (.547") trombone models. From what I've heard, Schilke copied some of the design elements of the Conn 88H. There was also a straight tenor counterpart, the YSL-641; I presume that it was also updated with the afore mentioned slide changes.

The original version YSL-643 was my first F-attachment trombone—in junior high. I recall it as playing very open and having a full, but lively sound. The slide action was excellent—not surprising for Yamaha. The trigger mechanism was string driven and actuated quickly and quietly. The rotor was of ample size and the F-attachment was free blowing. The traditional wrap of the valve section allowed for an 'E' pull. And if I recall correctly, it had a line etched to approximate where needed to pull to accomplish this. I often wish I hadn't sold that horn. I sometimes see these for sell—usually the 643II. The price range is usually $600-800. If I ever have an opportunity to buy an original model, in near pristine condition, I'll pull the trigger—pardon the pun.

As far as playing characteristics, in comparison to the 88H, I would say it was geared for that concept of sound. It is more like a Conn and not Bach like at all, but still very different. To me the 643 is less like a Conn 88H than the Blessing B-88 (an 88H clone). But that's okay, because the YSL-643 is a very good trombone in it's own right.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

I'm assuming the 643 II is an older version of the new 620 with the exception of the bell material and a few bends in the valve wrap? Most I find for sale online are relatively inexpensive compared to say a Bach 42 or Conn 88H in the same condition. Must be because Yamaha doesn't make it any more?
What would be the potential flaws with this horn? I'ts a 'pro' model and not a Xeno so it's not Yamaha's best but what does that really mean? My first trombone was a Yamaha student model (back in the '70's) and the slide wasn't very good. But that difference it more apparent than that of a pro and a xeno. Maybe like the difference between a Mercedes and a Toyota? A Mercedes is nice if you can afford it but a Toyota will last just as long.
Anyway, I'm looking at big bore tenors online and came across this one. Seems like a good deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YSL643- ... %7Ciid%3A1

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

643 was Yamaha's copy of the Conn 88H. It's slightly larger bore. Not related to the 648/682/620 series at all.

Your old Yammy student horn may have been from the period where Yamaha was having problems with the chrome plate on the inner slides. I've seen a few old M1's where there was some bubbling of the chrome which resulted in a very scratchy slide.

If you get a good 643, it's a very nice horn. Just make sure the chrome plating on the inner slide is intact.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

The 682 has an interesting valve. I've never seen a valve like this before. Looks like one straight through tube/port/hole instead of two. Is there any reason why this valve didn't become more popular? Maybe because of the time the air stream is blocked while the valve is being rotated?
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My 682 has a conventional (although somewhat larger than Bach) rotor. You must be thinking of the 682B (Bousfield). One problem is its large size digs into some folks' necks.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:06 pm My 682 has a conventional (although somewhat larger than Bach) rotor. You must be thinking of the 682B (Bousfield). One problem is its large size digs into some folks' necks.
You are correct. I was looking at a 682B and yes it looks to be pretty large.
edfeingold

Post by edfeingold »

I owned a Yamaha 643R for 32 years. It was my only horn. Handled classical and jazz playing beautifully. I did not like the f-attachement in middle registers (a bit dull/thuddy), but otherwise, I had no complaints. It is an excellent horn. Unfortunately, mine was stolen last night.
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

Slightly off topic - I have a 641 which has the 0.551" bore, red brass bell, nickel silver tuning slide, neck pipe and hand slide.

It looks to me like a Yamaha version of an Olds Opera but with the red brass/nickel silver combination of an Olds Recording.

The little reinforcement pieces at the intersection of the braces with the neck pipe and slide receiver are reminiscent of Olds design.
edfeingold

Post by edfeingold »

edfeingold wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 pm I have owned a Yamaha 643R for 32 years. It was my only horn. Handled classical and jazz playing beautifully. I did not like the f-attachement in middle registers (a bit dull/thuddy), but otherwise, I had no complaints. It is an excellent horn.
My horn was lost and recovered. It does have a small bit of the chrome bubbling problem. I may have it replated or replace that particular pipe.

Now that I have a new horn, I may sell it in the next year or two for a small bore straight horn to add to my lineup.

Return to “Instruments”