1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion
LarryPrestonRoberson

Re: Conn 88HLTOW?

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Conn 88HLTOW?
O = open wrap
The other letters could mean different things depending on how they’re grouped. In the past (maybe currently) Conn offered an 88HT. Which, had a thin bell. I know other makers, such as Bach, use LT to designate light weight. Which, refers to a light weight slide (usually nickel) without over-sleeves.

General specifications of the 88H line:
.547" bore
8-1/2" rose brass bell
F attachment (.562” bore)
Rose brass outer slide with nickel crook

Likely, someone else will chime in with more details/information.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

Lightweight , thinned bell, open wrap, wide slide? (I'm guessing based on the most common uses of those suffixes with trombone specs.)
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

ExZacLee wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am Lightweight , thinned bell, open wrap, wide slide? (I'm guessing based on the most common uses of those suffixes with trombone specs.)
My thoughts are generally the same. The ‘W’ is where I’m puzzled. I thought maybe grouped as ‘OW’ it might be open wrap. I think I’ve seen LTW for light weight with other makers, but it’s not grouped that way in this case. Conn-Selmer site is is no help—imagine that. There are a couple on eBay listed this way, but there’s no information to help decide the model. Maybe the TTF archives could prove helpful.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

W may be a wide slide
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am
ExZacLee wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am Lightweight , thinned bell, open wrap, wide slide? (I'm guessing based on the most common uses of those suffixes with trombone specs.)
My thoughts are generally the same. The ‘W’ is where I’m puzzled. I thought maybe grouped as ‘OW’ it might be open wrap. I think I’ve seen LTW for light weight with other makers, but it’s not grouped that way in this case. Conn-Selmer site is is no help—imagine that. There are a couple on eBay listed this way, but there’s no information to help decide the model. Maybe the TTF archives could prove helpful.
I was guessing on the W, but that seems the only viable option for that - Conn has a narrower slide than Bach so widening the slide was probably an occasional request. Conn has used "O" and not "OW" for the open wrap designation in the past (as far as I'm aware).
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Conn actually used "o/w" on some 88H bell engravings. It meant "open wrap." I think these were early Gen II horns. But I do not believe OW was ever used in the model designations.

Here:

https://goo.gl/photos/HC4tcAX1niZUjp7f9
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

My 88H is exactly this model, engraved 88H LT OW on the bell. It’s open wrap and with the thin wall bell, I’m 99% sure the LT relates to the bell rather than the slide and I‘m certain OW is for open wrap. I got it in around 2000, never checked the serial no. but suppose it‘s from late 90s.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Conn uses the "W" for their tubas to mean "With case". (ex. Conn 5JW) I've never liked that designation. May not apply here but does with tubas.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”