I’m thinking about a Courtois AC-440B. Any thoughts?

Bach5G

I’m thinking about a Courtois AC-440B. Any thoughts?

Post by Bach5G »

I’m thinking about buying the Courtois Bright/88H model .547 horn. I tried one for half a hour in a store and quite liked it.

Anyone else have any experience with or information about this horn?
MoominDave

Re: I’m thinking about a Courtois AC-440B. Any thoughts?

Post by MoominDave »

My impression from sitting next to one in a section a couple of times - as with various other 88H-alikes, it's smoother-sounding than the original. I would rather sit next to an 88H sound - more character in the sound, particularly at forte. The player said that it was easier to play than an 88H.

Not sure where you are - regional sound preferences mean that might be either positive or negative. It was a relative negative for me from a listening and playing alongside perspective - most of the point of playing trombone is the sound character. A fine instrument but would prefer to hear the original it was modelled on.
Dave Taylor
(not to be confused with other Dave Taylors...)
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I played one at Baltimore Brass recently. I thought it was great. I tried several other horns, including a few wonderful Adams tenors (also great horns). I kept coming back to the Courtois. It seemed like it had brilliance without being bright. It felt very balanced in my hand, and was not heavy (around 4 lbs, I weighed it/ my Edwards is around 4 lbs 6-7 oz). It did not feel like I was playing a rotor valved horn. Slide was wonderful. Maybe it was just the day, maybe it was just this one. If they would be willing to trade my Edwards for this horn I would probably go back and try it again. Probably take an experienced ear with me as well.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Don't know the AC-440B but I have a AC-420 BO "Challenger". It is a Bach 42 clone, except it is a good one. There have been a lot of suspicious minds concerning newer Bachs until recently. I think they have fixed production know. This was made to challenge the Bach 42 and plays and sounds like the good Bach was supposed to. It is manufactured during that problematic period when people bought Bachs and had them taken apart and put together again to make them better.

I guess the AC-440B is their Conn 88h clone. It is probably a very good design if it is as well made as mine.

/Tom
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I played a 440 as my main tenor until recently. It's very easy to play on with a clear, open sound. To me, the sound is to bright to blend properly while playing second trombone.
I've also had a couple of mechanical issues with mine, like an uneven inner slide and slide bumpers so thick that the slide lock wouldn't work. But I hope the quality control have improved after they moved the production to Germany.
timbone

Post by timbone »

The Courtois AC440BR is basically a Conn 88 on steroids. It was designed after a 1960 horn, so there is appeal to players that like the feel of the older horn, with more up to date features.
hoy127

Post by hoy127 »

I have one that is essentially brand new and available at a great price. When compared with a "C" series 88H this horn was just easier to play and had a far superior slide and more efficient trigger function. Email for photos.
Stephen
[email protected]

Return to “Instruments”