Rath Custom vs 00 ?

ChrisLee10

Rath Custom vs 00 ?

Post by ChrisLee10 »

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience testing both the modular custom Raths and the 00 non-modular Chinese made instruments?

Cheers!
Chris
Fidbone

Re: Rath Custom vs 00 ?

Post by Fidbone »

Yes, what do you want to know?
timbone

Post by timbone »

I'm confused by this request- they are polar opposites, please explain
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

timbone wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:02 am I'm confused by this request- they are polar opposites, please explain
He's asking if anyone has compared something like the the Rath R100 vs. a similar spec Rath R10, or similar comparison.

I've actually not tried either but if the '00' series play anything like the JP Rath series I bet they're quite good. The general trade-off with fixed instruments vs. modular instruments is the lack of customizability. It's the cherry on top for sure and in some cases the fixed horns wind up also being the best set of components for you as well. (Such is the case with the Getzen 3xxx series or the older Shires Master series, which are/were a combination of the most popular components). The horns are made by different people in this case, so you might get more variability but perhaps someone who has played both can make more of an informed comment.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Don't forget Rath also make (well, in China on behalf of Rath) the R400 and R900, Matt. Non-modualar, all-yellow versions of the R4F and R9.

Although I play an R4F myself, I've never tried the R400. Sorry.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

FeelMyRath wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 am Don't forget Rath also make (well, in China on behalf of Rath) the R400 and R900, Matt. Non-modualar, all-yellow versions of the R4F and R9.

Although I play an R4F myself, I've never tried the R400. Sorry.
Yes, sorry good catch. I meant to say that as an example of a similar pattern! Fixed.
ChrisLee10

Post by ChrisLee10 »

Fidbone wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 pm Yes, what do you want to know?
Thank you to everyone for your input!

I guess what I'm trying to work out is if the 00 instruments are as good (playing wise) as the custom instruments? ie: would a R400 be similar to a custom/modular R4F with the same parts? How do they compare?

Cheers!
Chris
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have played the R900. But I have not played a regular Rath bass to compare it with. But, I have to say, the R900 was a darn nice horn!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The x00 Raths are to the x Raths as the Getzen 3xxx trombones to Edwards. They are not interchangeable, and are not equivalent. The x00 instruments are made in China to Rath specifications and the workmanship is generally not quite as careful as the instruments made in England.

That said, if the x00 Rath works for you, by all means play it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Tooloud

Post by Tooloud »

The bass trombone, R 900, has only the traditional rotors. I don't know, if these are available on their regular horns, who usually are equipped with Hagmann or Rotax.

For me, the difference was clearly noticeable. The sound was above the chinese competitors, but not nearly as good as the "real Rath"-trombones I tried. Thomann then had a couple of different R9s on display, very fine instruments, but all independent setups, what I did -and do - not want. If I could have found a R9D for testing, this might have been my horn judging from the independents that I tried.

I also had the R 100 for short while: The slide reciever was too long, so it had to be cut to reach a=442 hz. Loose solder in one brace, close to left ear, which was very annoying. Had to be taken apart and laquered. Then it had serious acid bleed on the bell. I returned ist after a couple of weeks trading it in for a Yamaha, who does the job since then without any complaint.. But the sound of the R 100 was really good!

Tthe R 900 has a nice sound for its price. I think, it's fine for brass bands, trombone choirs, high-school bands etc.

You always get, what you pay for....

Return to “Instruments”