Shires Dual-Bore Valve - Reviews?

Neo Bri

Shires Dual-Bore Valve - Reviews?

Post by Neo Bri »

Anyone have opinions on this valve? I wouldn't mind a comparison of this against the Tru-Bore, Axials, standard rotors, etc.
hyperbolica

Re: Shires Dual-Bore Valve - Reviews?

Post by hyperbolica »

I compare dual bores on a tenor against Shires other offerings, and preferred the dual bore. My valve tenors are all old Conns, for some background, and I prefer a little resistance. The high range seems better with the smaller valve. Axials are great below the staff. Trubores are probably better balanced all around valves, but for higher, lighter playing, I prefer dual bore.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

I've got one on my set up and I picked it over the other options available. I find that it was the easiest and most efficient valve to play on (on both sides of the horn). It isn't as free blowing in the low valve register but I've always preferred having a some resistance down there. Lots of core to the sound and I find the transition in and out of the valve is pretty even.
matto

Post by matto »

I play a dual-bore and agree with the sentiments of the previous posters as well. Provides a little more resistance in notes below the staff, very even across the board.

I've played Thayers, and still do on bass, and found it much harder to move in and out of the valve range evenly wholly from a sound perspective. For me, Thayers play bigger and fatter than the non-valve side of the horn, and the dual-bore is a leaner sound that matches the open horn better. For the tenor playing I do, the dual-bore is perfect. Works great for Bach Cello Suites, Rochut's down an octace, etc. But, if I needed big blocks of sound for notes below the staff that were easier to produce, I would go Thayer.

I have one odd note on the dual-bore setup: the low C is really hard to get in tune. But I don't know if that's a me thing or a Shires thing. I don't have the same issue on the Thayers I've played, but they've all been on Edwards horns. On the Shires I either have to sacrifice the C and F in 1st or need to lip the low C down to what would be about ninth position.
jennconducts

Post by jennconducts »

My favorite valve.

Return to “Instruments”