Info/help/value? For Bach Stradivarius Model 12

Tyrissa

Info/help/value? For Bach Stradivarius Model 12

Post by Tyrissa »

Hello everyone.

I'm currently in the process of helping my mother clear years of hoarding to help fund her retirement, and I have come across a Bach Stradivarius Model 12 trombone.

I have absolutely no idea what so ever about anything like this and my internet searching has led me here. :D

I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to give me any information about the instrument, and a rough value and the best place/way to sell it. All I can seem to find is that it's from the 1960's. Its case definitely backs that up. It's very well worn, however the instrument itself appears to be (from what my naive eyes can tell) in a pretty good condition.

I do have photos and as soon as I can figure out how to upload them, I'll share them with you.

Thank you in advance. :biggrin:
BGuttman

Re: Info/help/value? For Bach Stradivarius Model 12

Post by BGuttman »

First, you can try selling it here in our Classifieds. They are free.

When you post your ad, there should be a link at the bottom of the box you use to write your post to allow attaching photos. If you are uploading photos please don't upload too many -- those of us using phones may not appreciate it.

For a rough estimate, we need to know if it is early 1960s or late 1960s. Does the engraving on the bell say "Mount Vernon, New York" or "Elkhart Indiana"? If it's the former you can ask some $500 more for the instrument.

I am a terrible person to ask for value estimates, but I would guess in average condition you should be able to get $750 to $1200 for an Elkhart.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Tyrissa

Post by Tyrissa »

Thank you for your reply.

I just checked and it's got Elkhart IN on the engraving, so I guess that's good news. :good:

It has 2 smallish dents, but the slide is really smooth. Some of the coating? Has come off the slide, but the bell part is still nice and shiny. :D

The case is definitely the worst part. The leather outer is aged, but fully intact and the hard inner case has most of the covering coming off around the edges, with the wood exposed.
Tyrissa

Post by Tyrissa »

Figured out the photos. I have resized them so opening the thumbnails shouldn't cause any issues ;)

Image Image Image Image Image Image
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Actually, Elkhart is the not-so-good news. We probably want the serial number, which is located on the slide portion. It will be 5 digits, but you should only give us the first 3 (as in 253xx) so nobody can "harvest" the serial number and claim the instrument stolen.

We would also be interested in the condition of the plating on the inner slide. Are there any wear spots?

If it was Mount Vernon, you'd have people climbing over each other to buy it. As an Elkhart it's just desirable. Great instrument to play Big Band or ensemble jazz.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Tyrissa

Post by Tyrissa »

Oh I must have misread that. Bugger. Haha.

The serial number starts with 596.

As for wear spots, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I can see what looks like stripes? Going across the tubes. Feels smooth to touch though.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Early Elkhart.
lobonemike

Post by lobonemike »

I recently sold my Bach 12 identical to this. $1200 AUD.
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” ― Confucius
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have 2 12`s and love `em

Return to “Instruments”