Opinions of Jupiter/XO 1632

Reedman1

Opinions of Jupiter/XO 1632

Post by Reedman1 »

I've been eyeing the XO 1632 lately (among other horns). I like that it's built very light, and John Fedchock certainly sounds good on it. Has anyone here played it? What did you think? What kind of music would you use it for? Thanks!
Neo Bri

Re: Opinions of Jupiter/XO 1632

Post by Neo Bri »

John Fedchock sounds good on anything! As long as you like that style.

I've never played that horn. I can say that Jupiter used to be regarded as a very budget-oriented (crappy) brand, and by all accounts they've really turned that around. I hear most of their newer stuff is quite good, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear excellent reviews of the horn.

Seems likely to me that the horn would probably be suited to small group jazz and similar. Not sure what it would do when you step on the gas. John never stepped on the gas when I played with him, even on the lead book at FF.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Great, thanks! Anyone else?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I played one at SCMEA a couple of months ago. Amazingly light horn. As far as the sound, it was a big loud room, so hard to tell.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

I was lucky enough to be one of the first people if not like the first person to play this horn. My proffesor was a jupiter artist when I went with him to ITF in Rochester the horn was still not finalized I believe ,but Jupiter had brought it for Fedchock to play later that day. They asked my proffesor if he wanted to try out and said it had just come from the shop and no one had played it yet (that is most likely BS). Still I played it my proffesor played it and later that day John Fedchock played it on a recital he did. I do have strong opinions on the horn though I feel it is way different than there other jazz horns (this is a good thing). My university was endorsed by Jupiter so we had their older jazz horns (1032) and I played one for a while particualarly when we toured China because I had just bought my Getzen 3508 and didnt want it to get dented on the plane. There normal jazz horns are heavy for their size and so less flexible they are bright but not in a very good cutting way like a 2b I'm not a fan. but the Fedchock model (1632) is an entirely different horn its super light much more flexible and has a nice dark presence to it due to the rose bell. The warmness of the horn is really on display in Fedchocks album Fluidity. With all that said thats just all my opinion the 1032 seemed to work great for Harry Waters and he is a master so hope this wasn't too long and off topic.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm John Fedchock sounds good on anything! As long as you like that style.

I've never played that horn. I can say that Jupiter used to be regarded as a very budget-oriented (crappy) brand, and by all accounts they've really turned that around. I hear most of their newer stuff is quite good, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear excellent reviews of the horn.

Seems likely to me that the horn would probably be suited to small group jazz and similar. Not sure what it would do when you step on the gas. John never stepped on the gas when I played with him, even on the lead book at FF.
True story though Fedchock does sound amazing on anything he sounded incredible on his old horn which I think was a Bach someone get the details on that. I once saw Jiggs Wigham play a Frank Rosalino solo on a P Bone thats when I decieded to never blame the gear again.
herrerabone

Post by herrerabone »

I play on a 1632RGL-LT. It's the Jiggs Whigham horn perfected, in my opinion. I would compare it to a King 2BL or a Shires Michael Davis model, but with a slightly warmer sound due to the slightly larger bore and rose bell. I use it to play in a small combo/lead in a big band and it works excellently. It's definitely a very nimble, flexible, lightweight, and responsive instrument and I have not yet found an instance where it has held me back or gotten in my way. I'm not the loudest player, so I'm not one to comment on how the horn fares when you "step on the gas," but that's just my limitation as a player and not necessarily the instrument. It has a great sound, warmer than most other jazz horns that I've tried. The rose brass makes it almost fuzzy. It makes playing very easy due to how responsive and lightweight it is. The lightweight slide also makes it very easy to play quickly. I use it with a Bach 7c mouthpiece instead of the XO 12c that it came with. Alex Iles told me he likes his 1632, too.
BillO

Post by BillO »

I have a 1632 and love it. As already said, it is light, nimble, responsive and has wonderful full and warm tone. The slide is pure magic and if any horn can be said to be 'easy to play' it's this one.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

How does it respond when you “step on the gas”?
BillO

Post by BillO »

I subbed for lead in a big band with it. I got no complaints. I'd say it can hold it's own but there are horns that will blow harder. If that's what your after, I've heard the Lawler horns are 2nd to none for ffff stuff.

In general, the XO brass stuff is top notch. I have 3 of them, the 1632, at 1232 symphonic tenor and a 1240 indy bass. I have Shires, Conn, and King too, but it's the XOs that I play the most.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

2 questions - how is the weight balance? And how "brassy" can you get with it?
BillO

Post by BillO »

1) It comes with a removable balance weight. with the weight it balances just fine. Without the weight it balances just fine. The thing is a feather. Sorry for the ambiguity, but I usually pay a BIG double rotor independent bass the slide of which is heavier than the entire 1632. Having said that, I play it with the weight on because it came that way. This trombone is lighter than a King 2B by a noticeable margin. Have you tried one?

2) You have been asking about how it responds when you "step on the gas" and " how "brassy" it can get. I'm not sure what I can say past what I have already said. It will light up if you push it, but that is not it's sweet spot. Think Tommy Dorsey, Teddy Roderman and John Fedchock for the kind of sound this horn is built to deliver.

I think you want a Bach 6 or a Lawler. I get the impression you would like to use it to remove paint or old wallpaper with ear shattering volume. It is not designed for that but it will play loud and it will 'light up'. Just not at space shuttle launch volumes :roll:.

It has many other virtues, but you don't seem interested in things like warmth, expressiveness, tonal quality, subtleties of response, range or play-ability. All of which it has in abundance.

I let the 1st trombone of my Big Band play it at our last rehearsal - his comment was "You can have this back after you pry it from my cold dead hands." He normally play's a King 2B.

Anyway, my best advice it to get out to a stocking dealer and play one. No trombone is for everyone and this one may not be for you, even if I think it is a marvel. ...or maybe it is!

Find one and bring your favorite MP and give it a blow. You will have all your answers.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Thank you, BillO, you’ve been very helpful. Just to say, I do appreciate all the other qualities of trombones; the reason I’m harping on volume and brass is that those qualities don’t come easily for me, so I’m looking for a horn that, among other things, makes them a little easier for me. I don’t need to peel paint, just to snap out a few passing tones from time to time when playing Dixie. But most of the time, I love playing ballads and very melodic work. I like sweetness, subtlety, responsiveness, intonation, all of it. I will take your advice at the first opportunity, and I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this horn and your generosity in your answers. You’ve been great - thank you.
BillO

Post by BillO »

I think it would do well in a Dixieland Band - it can easily get loud enough to play over a clarinet, piano or banjo etc...

Where it might not work well is as lead trombone in a Stan Kenton type Big Band plying fffff until you fall off your chair from anoxia. Some folks like it like that. :idk:
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BillO wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:44 am I think it would do well in a Dixieland Band - it can easily get loud enough to play over a clarinet, piano or banjo etc...

Where it might not work well is as lead trombone in a Stan Kenton type Big Band plying fffff until you fall off your chair from anoxia. Some folks like it like that. :idk:
Yeesh - I don't see myself ever playing lead in a Stan Kenton-style big band. Or probably any big band. Dixie, bop, small group swing, yeah. Hot soloist, maybe. Lead... not so much.

Here's the situation: I'm ready to graduate from my beat-up ancient Holton TR602 that I got cheap from a neighbor after her daughter was done with it. I'm trying out an Olds Super, which is pretty, but I'm not convinced. It's front heavy, among other things, and it has that tiny Olds mouthpiece receiver. Maybe I'll get more comfortable with it... but maybe I won't. Maybe I should cut to the chase and get a trombone that doesn't threaten to strain my wrist. So - I'm open to other suggestions, but I like what I'm reading about the 1632. Light, well-balanced, versatile - all sounds good to me.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

So I finally got one. And I really like it. A happy ending!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have been endorsed by XO since 2016, and playing all my jazz and lead bone stuff on it. I have put it thru every pace I can, including playing FFFF all night. I accepted the endorsement from them XO because it is one of the finest horns I have ever played! I put down sterling silver King (custom made for Kai Winding) I had been playing for 23 years in favor of the XO. The light weight, killer slide, nimble response, and wonderful focused sound this horn has at every volume is fantastic. I can light up the room, or doodle into a mic - it all works!

BTW - John Fedchock played a King 2B+ - that was his old horn
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

Hey Phil! Hope Richmond is treating you well.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org

Return to “Instruments”