Yamaha sightings

Kneesks

Yamaha sightings

Post by Kneesks »

Why does it seem like yamaha basses are impossible to find used, worn or just being sold not new? Ive seen like 5 61x over the past few months and have not seen any used xeno basses.
Concerning the 61x, I've yet to see a 613 sold in America, was it an oversea exclusive?
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha sightings

Post by BGuttman »

61x was indeed sold in the USA. They don't show up much because they are still popular and in use. Especially 613 (the indie). One of the guys who played in my orchestra played a 613. I think the 61x horns are more popular than the 62x or 630 (which are newer).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The 613 series were definitely sold in the USA, and are well regarded. I almost bought a professional owned used YBL-613H at Dillon Music a few years back. Then I did buy a Silver plated YBL-613HS at Dillon Music, which I later sold.

I have recently seen used YBL-830 horns at both Dillon Music and at the Brass Ark. People who get them seem to tend to hold onto them.

Dillon currently has a Demo YBL-822G listed. As for availability of the other Xeno horns, WWBW currently has the 830 in stock and ready to ship, and Sweetwater has the 822G in stock and ready to ship.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Kneesks wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:00 am
Concerning the 61x, I've yet to see a 613 sold in America, was it an oversea exclusive?
I think I told you earlier, I bought my 613 used here and I have 4 friends with them as well!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

In recent years the 613H seems to be the rarest of the bunch. You used to see those for sale every once in a while and never a 613, but now the occasional 613 and 613G pop up while the 613H is nowhere. 612s show up for sale pretty often, along with the occasional 611 and 822G. You're right that the 830 is rare to see used, as is the current 620G.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The xenos must be going straight from consumer to landfill 😂
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

My son's high school has a Yamaha 613 that they let him borrow for the year to play in their orchestra.

I didn't realize how good of a trombone it was until I started to try to look for something "better" if he wanted to continue to play bass trombone after he graduates...

There are no dents on the one he plays, but the lacquer has taken a beating over the years. His school's 613 apparently is well known in the state (not many schools have bass trombones to loan out to their students) When he went to his latest all-state auditions the adjudicator recognized the trombone right away and knew what school he was from - and then told him the tale of other students who he's seen play it in years past and what they've gone on to do (band directors in various places, etc)

So... I guess if you're looking for a 613 go check out your local high school and see if you can steal one ;)
Kneesks

Post by Kneesks »

So... I guess if you're looking for a 613 go check out your local high school and see if you can steal one ;)
This is interesting cause of the like 3 high schools I'm relatively close to, the only yamaha stuff is drum kits, marching drums or woodwinds/euphs. I've talked with other students about it during marching band season cause somehow instrument brands always come up during our meets
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Kneesks wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:09 pmThis is interesting cause of the like 3 high schools I'm relatively close to, the only yamaha stuff is drum kits, marching drums or woodwinds/euphs. I've talked with other students about it during marching band season cause somehow instrument brands always come up during our meets
Yamaha does not really seem to market themselves heavily in the same way that a lot of other brands do. The Bach name is so ubiquitous that they barely even need to try, people in many cases just by Bachs. Yamaha trombones seem to be much more for people who align with their design and sound philosophy. It seems people either love them or hate them. I never had a problem with the sound or playability of any of the Yamaha horns I own or have owned.

The problem is that stores stock what sells, and even though more expensive and equipped with undersized valves, they know that a Bach 50B3O will sell, while a Xeno YBL-830 is not as sought after. Many people also consider resale value when buying as horn, as they may intend to go to an Edwards / Rath / Shires later, and the Yamaha horns do not hold their value as well unfortunately. This also may be why you don't see them on the market as much: people don't see the reason to take the loss.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”