Playing sharp on Edwards basses

Jbeckett

Playing sharp on Edwards basses

Post by Jbeckett »

Question for everyone with some context included (free of charge).
I’ve got a 454 edwards bass. All new except for the tuning slide. Probably 10 years old. The brass on the tuning slide measures 9-3/4”-9-13/16”.
I have had to switch my handlslide to a modified Bach 50 slide to make the instrument play in tune. I’d like to be able to play the Edwards slide, even though the two sound very similar.
Has anyone else had experience with a shorter tuning slide on an edwards bass? Playing sharp? All of the above?
Just looking for some guidance and I’d love to have an all-Edwards bass again.
Please let me know what you come up with.
Burgerbob

Re: Playing sharp on Edwards basses

Post by Burgerbob »

Do you have any pictures?

Edwards are pretty short horns (to enable large mouthpieces to play up to pitch, as well as other design considerations). Unless you're playing the really big stuff, I'd expect the tuning slide to be out a good amount in any case.

This might be exacerbated with a leak somewhere as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

Here’s some pics. I was having to pull the main slide about an inch and a half for an f or Bb, with the tuning slide out and inch and a half as well, using the edwards hand slide. Bach hand slide, maybe an inch out on the main tuning and I can play first about 1/4” out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

What mouthpiece?
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

95d and an 0g .312. Also tried my 1g, Hecht A-O, Elliott 116.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It also might be a bit different with the CR-E valves as compared to axials- that valve section might be shorter
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

So I may need to just keep the Bach slide and have it converted to accept edwards pipes. If that’s the solution, then that’s it. I can’t do axials and have tried many times. Horn plays great with this set up, but I have it on the marketplace out of frustration. Just sucks to have to not be able to use the Edwards OE. Thanks for the help, Aiden.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Might be a glob of solder somewhere, unlikely with edwards though. Maybe a glob of gunk, when was it last cleaned?
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

It’s all brand new except the tuning slide. Bach slide was a Sandhagen special, so that’s clean. I have bathed it once since I’ve had it in two months. Snaked it out, made sure it was assembled correctly, etc.
I was thinking tension in the build, but there is none.
sctroy

Post by sctroy »

When I played a Getzen 1052, it played quite sharp - so much that the tuning slide was nearly all the way out. I had Getzen make me a special tuning slide that was 1" longer than the normal one and that solved my problem nicely. Now that I play an Edwards B502 with its longer slide, I don't need a special tuning slide. I believe the Getzen slide will fit an Edwards. The stock slide is on the left, the longer one is on the right.

Steve Troy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

Looks nice! Let me know if you’re interested in selling it.
Thanks.
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

The longer bass tuning slide worked! Great partial spacing and the horn is in tune with about an inch out on the main tuning.
sctroy

Post by sctroy »

It's a shame Edwards/Getzen doesn't offer a longer tuning slide option on their site since their hand slides are a bit shorter than others. For those of us who don't play on bucket mouthpieces, a longer tuning slide is a great solution (similar to ordering a longer hand slide, but much cheaper). My B502 with the longer "V" hand slide eliminated my need for this custom tuning slide, so I'm very happy that it solved Jeff's problem.

Steve Troy
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

For those that like shorter hand slides, that longer tuning slide is a pretty neat touch. I like the way they designed it, making a longer crook instead of using longer ferrules. It's like how some high pitch horns have low pitch tuning slides with a longer bend.

But others (like me) do play alternate positions. A lot. It's not a priority for me now, but I'm sure they can build a longer hand slide with the Getzen (Conn-like) tenon. I just prefer the extra security at the end of the slide in case I need to produce a different texture to a given note or phrase.

My 1052 is the only trombone I own where I really have to pull the tuning slide — about ¾" — and I play off the bumpers. Perhaps my 58 and 59 are a bit shallow for it, but they fit my sound concept better.

Curious thought: Has anyone tried tuning these at A442 or so, and if so, how far out was the tuning slide?
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Briande

Post by Briande »

Jbeckett wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:33 pm The longer bass tuning slide worked! Great partial spacing and the horn is in tune with about an inch out on the main tuning.
I’m having the same issue on a Getzen 1052 I just bought. How were you able to get the longer tuning slide? Did you call or email Getzen? Or did you have to work though a dealer or tech?
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

Call Christan GRIEGO at Edwards. He’s got them in stock and can have different materials and radius crooks for you.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Jbeckett wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:24 pm Here’s some pics. I was having to pull the main slide about an inch and a half for an f or Bb, with the tuning slide out and inch and a half as well, using the edwards hand slide. Bach hand slide, maybe an inch out on the main tuning and I can play first about 1/4” out.
1st position on nearly every trombone is designed to be more than 1/4" out from the bumpers. That is a tiny distance that might as well be completely closed.

It should be about as far out as you have the tuning slide pulled in this picture. Maybe a bit further. Try running your Ab to be in time with the edge of the bell, and that's likely what the designer was going for.
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

I sold mine. Not because of the tuning slide.
I was 1-1/2” out on handslide and just about all the way out on tuning. CRE’s have less tubing, I was told.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I ran into the same issue on my 1062 Getzen bass, probably moreso because I play 2G-ish mouthpieces (Symington 2, Rath B2). Getting responded to an inquiry about a longer tuning slide with "we don't do that." To make playing with such an extended 1st position more comfortable, my tech installed slide springs ala 88H and moved the slide lock tang to allow it to engage as before.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Funny thing - I have short tuning slides on two of my main Edwards horns to be able to get them up to A440. The other Edwards horns that I own work well with stock tuning slides, but they are almost all the way in. I have found the same thing to be true on some other manufacturer's instruments, but not all.

Jim Scott
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's true, there are people who play with the tuning way out and if I use the same horn I have to push all the way in.
Briande

Post by Briande »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:39 pm It's true, there are people who play with the tuning way out and if I use the same horn I have to push all the way in.
It’s just strange. On my old King Duo Gravis I’d say the mail tuning slide is pulled out a normal amount (3/4 inch or so). But on the new to me Getzen practically all the way out.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Briande wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:27 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:39 pm It's true, there are people who play with the tuning way out and if I use the same horn I have to push all the way in.
It’s just strange. On my old King Duo Gravis I’d say the mail tuning slide is pulled out a normal amount (3/4 inch or so). But on the new to me Getzen practically all the way out.
Well, those are totally different instruments. As said above, Getzens are built short. The older Kings were pretty medium in that regard.

Return to “Instruments”