Weird Alto Trombone

Chronos91

Weird Alto Trombone

Post by Chronos91 »

About six months ago, I bought a cheap, used alto trombone just to mess around with sometimes. The seller sold it as an Elkhart TBA100. I didn't think anything of it until I got digital calipers and decided to measure my horns. I measured the slide bore as 0.472 in (compared to 0.51 in that the Conn-Selmer website says). That was grossly off, so I measured a few other points and got these.
Leadpipe - 0.426 in (OD - 0.462 in, quite a lot smaller than the bore)
Slide tenon - 0.487 - 0.488 in
Upper tuning slide - 0.500 in
Lower tuning slide/bell throat - 0.743 - 0.744 in
Bell - 7-1/8 in (compared to listed 6.5 in)

I'm pretty sure I don't have a TBA100. Assuming some slop in my measurements and knowing bore size won't be perfect anyway, I think it's probably the same clone/base as the JP136. If I upgrade down the line, what should I do with it? I only paid $400, but I wouldn't feel right trying to sell it for much at all, especially when people can get the same thing new for like $200-300. Would it even be worth donating anywhere like a school or to a student? It plays fine; the only weird thing I've noticed is that the partials feel wider compared to the corresponding partial on tenor or bass, but for all I know that's just an alto thing or caused by something particular in the setup.
20230131_185943.jpg
20230131_185841.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harrisonreed

Re: Weird Alto Trombone

Post by harrisonreed »

Where are you getting measurements on Conn's website for a model tba100? That is clearly a Chinese clone instrument, same as the old Selman's and Jin Baos, etc.

I'm pretty sure that is a "Vincent Bach International "Elkhart TBA100"", but only because I've never heard of that company or that model number before :shock:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

"Vincent Bach International Ltd" seems to be a British company based in London, appearing to be somehow related to Conn-Selmer but not necessarily. Looks like they're selling Chinese instruments while trying to make it look like they're American made. Sleazy, whether related to Conn-Selmer or not.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Yep, that's the standard Jin Bao Slokar clone. Not the greatest alto in the world, but they work fine for learning the instrument and light use. I wouldn't donate it to a school personally, these Jin Baos are pretty fragile and probably wouldn't last long in a school environment. Getting it to someone who wants to learn alto trombone (whether selling it or donating it) would be my vote.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 pm Where are you getting measurements on Conn's website for a model tba100? That is clearly a Chinese clone instrument, same as the old Selman's and Jin Baos, etc.

I'm pretty sure that is a "Vincent Bach International "Elkhart TBA100"", but only because I've never heard of that company or that model number before :shock:
This is the website. Notably, it doesn't show up when you select USA as the country.
https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/ ... nes/100tba
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

Finetales wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 pm Yep, that's the standard Jin Bao Slokar clone. Not the greatest alto in the world, but they work fine for learning the instrument and light use. I wouldn't donate it to a school personally, these Jin Baos are pretty fragile and probably wouldn't last long in a school environment. Getting it to someone who wants to learn alto trombone (whether selling it or donating it) would be my vote.
That makes sense. If the time comes, I'll ask around in the community bands I play in and see if anyone wants to learn it (or knows someone who does).
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Chronos91 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 pm Where are you getting measurements on Conn's website for a model tba100? That is clearly a Chinese clone instrument, same as the old Selman's and Jin Baos, etc.

This is the website. Notably, it doesn't show up when you select USA as the country.
https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/ ... nes/100tba
That is the 100TBA, to be fair, but wow! Talk about some unscrupulous business practices.

Didn't know that horn existed. It looks exactly like the slokar clone too.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Interesting. Clearly just a normal Chinese clone. Didn't know Conn-Selmer sold any of those. They also have a tenor and bass, all three presented as student instruments.

Here's the brand presentation text
Inspired by its namesake, the historic town of Elkhart, Indiana is an area renowned for brass and woodwind manufacturing in the USA. Created in the early 1990’s, the Elkhart range of student instruments provide excellent playability along with solid build quality and a durable finish all at an exceptional price point -making these instruments ideal for the budding musician.

Elkhart offers an entry level twist on a traditional professional level instrument design,taking influence from iconic brands such as Conn and Vincent Bach. In addition to this, as part of the Conn-Selmer group, we’re able to integrate the same design flare and standards inherited from our pro level brands at an affordable price point.

Developed in partnership with UK educators and the highest quality Conn-Selmer manufacturing partners in Eastern Asia, we’ve been able to integrate the valuable manufacturing experience from historic brands such as Conn and Vincent Bach to bring a European focused, entry level range of brass and woodwind instruments to market.

With an ethos of continued development since Elkhart’s inception,the brand is dedicated to creating the best all round beginner instruments -providing an aspiring first step on your musical journey.

I think that's what you have, they just got the specs wrong on the website.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

What I find most irritating is the lack of business ethics here.
It's one thing if some anonymous operation in China copies (at least visually) a good and unique instrument design from Kühnl & Hoyer and maybe some smaller resellers are using it under their name. Not great, but legally probably okay.
But in my view it's a totally different thing of one of the biggest brass instrument manufacturers in the world - with a generally good reputation - does the same thing and obviously doesn't give a sh.. about it.
Okay, you could say basically every American large bore tenor is somehow related to the Conn 8/88h or Bach 42. But from today's perspective these general design ideas are certainly far more common knowledge and less unique than the original Slokar alto.

In the end they also do the exact same thing with using the Chinese copy of the Yamaha B/C student trombone design.

And they most certainly have customers pay a substantial premium for paying from Conn Selmer, while many customers will not know the difference.

https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/ ... /trombones
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

MStarke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 amOkay, you could say basically every American large bore tenor is somehow related to the Conn 8/88h or Bach 42. But from today's perspective these general design ideas are certainly far more common knowledge and less unique than the original Slokar alto.

In the end they also do the exact same thing with using the Chinese copy of the Yamaha B/C student trombone design.
There are many modern takes on a 42 or 88H style trombone, but usually with a fair amount of openness that a manufacturer is trying to recreate the general playing characteristics of those classics while bringing some modern spin on it (often better valves or more consistent manufacturing techniques or whatever). That Elkhart bass on the Conn-Selmer EU site is clearly the same cheap knockoff of a discontinued 1980's Yamaha that you see from other disreputable ebay sellers. Entirely different scenario, IMO.
And they most certainly have customers pay a substantial premium for paying from Conn Selmer, while many customers will not know the difference.
Yep, that dishonesty is what strikes me as particularly unsavory here. These aren't even cheaply produced Bach or Conn designs with outsourced labor/assembly, they just plucked whatever rubbish was already floating around the import market and slapped a different name on it.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

MStarke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 am
But in my view it's a totally different thing of one of the biggest brass instrument manufacturers in the world - with a generally good reputation - does the same thing and obviously doesn't give a sh.. about it.

Okay, you could say basically every American large bore tenor is somehow related to the Conn 8/88h or Bach 42. But from today's perspective these general design ideas are certainly far more common knowledge and less unique than the original Slokar alto.

https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/ ... /trombones
I think the morally dubious thing here is what is outside of the bold font in your quote. Copying or taking inspiration from the 88H or 42 is exactly the same as copying or taking inspiration from the Slokar stuff. People on this forum just take issue with the fact that someone in China is doing it. Honestly, Shires making a Vintage Elkhart trombone is the same as Jinbao making a Slokar clone. It's just people making trombones, as long as a patent isn't violated.

What we should take issue with is what the workers making these horns are paid, and the marketing involved. If Shires is charging $5000 for a horn that they take $2500 out of as profit , with the rest going to materials, business expenses, and a living wage to the craftsman, that is a different story than Conn charging $1000 for a $50 trombone, taking $950 of profit that isn't going to pay any Conn craftsmen or much business expenses. The $50 to China doesn't pay much at all to the person who made it. These numbers are made up, but are what I'm guessing the economics might be like.

Also, pretending like they had any sort of input in the design or manufacturing, and dropping "designed in cooperation with UK experts" (read 'white people/westerners') as a tag to add credibility. It's not good.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

These guys are the distributers for Conn Selmer. The dealers they list as agents in the country are all legit - I know several of them. These people are where the UK dealers/shops get their conn Selmer instruments from. I dont know how much latitude they get from Conn Selmer USA to make up their own story but what you see is Conn Selmer USA. Their list of artists are also genuine and you may note feature 'Bones Apart' who we all know and love. With that exception - Not such an illustreous list though as in the States Conn Selmer.

None of which has anything to do with the subject of a chinese horn marketed under the Conn Selmer banner but Conn USA are the parent company so are responsible for what you see, its not some UK rip off that Conn Selmer are unaware of or dont control.

I think I know the guy who does there warranty repairs like one day a week or something I will ask him when I see him next... Doug
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Interestingly, this UK version of Conn also sells a proper compensating euphonium, the 300EH. Yet in the States all we get are ancient school-level American baritones and Bb tubas.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

To Harrison's point, nobody batted an eyelid at Courtois designing their entire range of large bore trombones as explicit clones (not just "inspired by") of the 42 and 88. The Slokar alto design has been around a long while, certainly there is no patent violation here. I agree that there is an issue here but it lies outside of that.
Maximilien Brisson
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It could be that the person making the slokar copy is actually making a living wage or their needs are met through some sort of subsidy or social system. Maybe the issue to take is whether or not to side with a company that would undercut it's own workers through a completely different system that is able produce products for little more than the cost of raw materials and transportation, to increase profits and/or drive their competitors to do the same.

On the one hand, I can totally see it eating into stateside production and knowhow. On the other hand, the ability to get a decent euph or other instrument that I don't really care much about at a really good price through Wessex is unbelievably tempting.

It's difficult to get a look into the economics of anything made in China. Anyone have insight?

Now to head off to WalMart!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

WalMart? Chinatown? (Same thing :evil: )

I think the issue is that this is a branch of Conn-Selmer selling Chinese instruments without identifying them as such.

Note that the Germans making Courtois instruments are being paid a living wage; which is somewhere around what you would pay in the US.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:46 am WalMart? Chinatown? (Same thing :evil: )

I think the issue is that this is a branch of Conn-Selmer selling Chinese instruments without identifying them as such.

Note that the Germans making Courtois instruments are being paid a living wage; which is somewhere around what you would pay in the US.
To be fair they do identify them as such, it's right there in the brand description : built by "manufacturing partners in Eastern Asia". But I do think that is sleazy to say the least. An uninformed customer would not expect Conn Selmer to be selling them a stencil clone.

Also keep in mind that a living wage in China is not the same as a living wage in the US (for that matter, if a family here in Switzerland tried to live on the lowest tier of what is considered "living wage" in the US, they'd be on social welfare. Compared to most of the Western world, the US has atrocious wages and social safety net). The truth is China went from being a third-world country with a dirt-poor populace only twenty years ago to having as large a middle class (slightly over half the population) as the US today. That does not excuse (and is allowed in part by) the dismal human rights conditions there. But the Chinese economic boom as well as their many, many social problems, are way more complex than people not being paid living wages.
Maximilien Brisson
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Finetales wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:40 pm Interestingly, this UK version of Conn also sells a proper compensating euphonium, the 300EH. Yet in the States all we get are ancient school-level American baritones and Bb tubas.
That looks an awful lot like this Chinese-made one.
Screenshot_20230202_111404_Chrome.jpg
I'd take an ancient school level US made horn over that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

But it's so shiny and new!
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

brassmedic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:17 pmThat looks an awful lot like this Chinese-made one.

I'd take an ancient school level US made horn over that.
Yeah, it's almost certainly Chinese. That said, I've played quite a few Chinese compensating euphoniums and they all played circles around every American-style baritone/euphonium that I've played (and I've played a lot!), so I would still choose that over Conn-Selmer's US offerings. But I can see why C-S wouldn't want their top of the range euph to be Chinese in their horn market.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

LeTromboniste wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am
BGuttman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:46 am WalMart? Chinatown? (Same thing :evil: )

To be fair they do identify them as such, it's right there in the brand description : built by "manufacturing partners in Eastern Asia". But I do think that is sleazy to say the least. An uninformed customer would not expect Conn Selmer to be selling them a stencil clone.
Not just a stencil clone, but one that C-S, as far as I can tell, didn't really have anything to do with the design/development of the instruments. When other Western brands have started selling imports (JPRath, Rath RX00, Eastman by Shires, Shires Q), there's been involvement from the Western company in sharing designs with the manufacturer and doing some QC. In this case it looks like C-S is simply rebadging the same JinBao Slokar clone that already existed. The only thing Conn-Selmer here is the profits.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Been selling these euphoniums for some time. I had a friend (Englishman) in Finland 4 years ago who had one of these Euphoniums with the Conn Badge on. I'm no judge of euphoniums and hold no opinion on the quality of these but my friend is a good player and he is very pleased with it even after 4 years. He may of course be more pleased with the price than the instrument but it would seem from Finetales comment and my friends that maybe for the price they are alright? I dont know... Doug
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

It's a Moz alto trombone with Elkhart engraving. Michael Lake recommends it as an inexpensive alto trombone.

I don't know what you mean by the partials feeling wider. Are the partials in tune? Having the proper mouthpiece makes a big difference when it comes to playing alto trombone. (the Yamaha 48A is an excellent alto trombone mouthpiece that won't cost you and arm and a leg).
Look at Wikipedia if you're curious about the original Elkhart Band Instrument Company. Elkhart Trombones (like Olds) are now made in China and have nothing to do with Conn. There's a number of altos on ebay that are rebranded Moz altos. The Packer is probably a Moz too. Where are you measuring the bore size? It's my understanding it is measured at the inside (or possibly the outside) of the stocking (I think the King 2B is an exception). By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust the Elkhart specs listed on the internet.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

wayne88ny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:18 pm It's a Moz alto trombone with Elkhart engraving. Michael Lake recommends it as an inexpensive alto trombone.

I don't know what you mean by the partials feeling wider. Are the partials in tune? Having the proper mouthpiece makes a big difference when it comes to playing alto trombone. (the Yamaha 48A is an excellent alto trombone mouthpiece that won't cost you and arm and a leg).
Look at Wikipedia if you're curious about the original Elkhart Band Instrument Company. Elkhart Trombones (like Olds) are now made in China and have nothing to do with Conn. There's a number of altos on ebay that are rebranded Moz altos. The Packer is probably a Moz too. Where are you measuring the bore size? It's my understanding it is measured at the inside (or possibly the outside) of the stocking (I think the King 2B is an exception). By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust the Elkhart specs listed on the internet.
I meant that the slots feel wide. I'm able to bend notes more on relative partials and that was making it harder for me to learn slide positions. If I start more regular alto practice than what I've done, I'll give the 48A a look. I play it with a Bach 6-3/4 C most of the time, but I've also used a Denis Wick 9BS, which I think is the same rim size but has a deeper cup. I think the partials are well enough in tune with either, but I can only play up to the 5th and sometimes 6th partial on it without shifting so that's a limited data set.

Oh, and I measured the bore as the ID of the slide at the stockings, but I took measurements all over after that was clearly not matching.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

This looks exactly as my cheap Thomann alto SL-35. It's a horn that has many names but pretty much everything about it is the Slokar clone. It's the same horn that Michel Lake plays in the video that is called Maz. I prefer to call it the Thomann SL-35 "Slokar" model.
How does it play? It plays great it is much better intune compared to my Bach 39 and seems to can handle a large variety of tenor mouthpieces. Michel Lake used a Bach 6 1/2 C in the video and I'm not surprised. My Bach 39 sounds best with something like a Bach 12E and doesn't work very well with tenor mouthpieces. That little Chinese horn is really well worth the money if you want a cheap alto.

/Tom
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

imsevimse wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm This looks exactly as my cheap Thomann alto SL-35. It's a horn that has many names but pretty much everything about it is the Slokar clone. It's the same horn that Michel Lake plays in the video that is called Maz. I prefer to call it the Thomann SL-35 "Slokar" model.
How does it play? It plays great it is much better intune compared to my Bach 39 and seems to can handle a large variety of tenor mouthpieces. Michel Lake used a Bach 6 1/2 C in the video and I'm not surprised. My Bach 39 sounds best with something like a Bach 12E and doesn't work very well with tenor mouthpieces. That little Chinese horn is really well worth the money if you want a cheap alto.

/Tom
have the Thomann a solid 7th position?
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

heinzgries wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:53 pm
imsevimse wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm This looks exactly as my cheap Thomann alto SL-35. It's a horn that has many names but pretty much everything about it is the Slokar clone. It's the same horn that Michel Lake plays in the video that is called Maz. I prefer to call it the Thomann SL-35 "Slokar" model.

/Tom
have the Thomann a solid 7th position?
Yes, my Thomann alto has seven positions, it's the same as the one Michel Larke plays in the video only with another name. It's just another stencil of the Slokar original, maybe made at the same plant in China.

/Tom
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

Regarding the "Slots Wide" thing. It's not unusual (in fact it's pretty normal) for the pitch to be all over the place when you first start playing alto (even with a professional instrument). Just to be clear, I mean that if you tune an Eb in first position with a tuner, play for a while, then test the Eb with a turner, chances are the pitch will beit will be different, sometimes a lot different. If you keep checking the tuner it will drive you crazy. Things will settle in after a while. It's useful to play duets and/or orchestral excerpts with a good tenor trombone player.
Good luck with learning alto trombone.

Return to “Instruments”