Fly or Ship

PSJ

Fly or Ship

Post by PSJ »

It has been 30+ years since I have flown with a trombone and since I play bass I already know it won't fit in the overhead.

So here is my question, this spring I will be helping my daughter when she gets back from a Navy special deployment driving her car back to the east coast and helping her move into a new residence. Easy thing would be to take a week or so off from playing but the 3 weeks as soon as I would get back I have big concerts each weekend.

My plan is to take my backup bass so I can practice. Now here is the question, am I better off trying to fly back with the bass, maybe gate checking on small planes (it will all be small planes) or am I better off just having the daughter Fed-Ex it back to me when I leave since this is my backup. And yes, I will use all the packing tips and precautions to eliminate as much damage as possible. I will be flying back to Arkansas from the North Carolina coast so there will be no big planes and at least one layover.

Thanks for any input.
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
Elow

Re: Fly or Ship

Post by Elow »

I’ve flown Delta anytime i had to bring my bass and haven’t had any problems. Ran out of space in the overhead going to Hawaii but they asked other passengers to check their bag so i didn’t have to check my horn.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I guess Delta sure has changed... I used to think they were the worst for dealing with instruments.

On this trip, how many days will it be, and realistically how much will you play during it? I've taken a horn on trips like that and never touched it. A little buzzing goes a long way to keep in shape.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Depends on the case, that's the info we need.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

If I were you I would alternatively consider bringing another horn, that makes it easier, e g a small bore or even a bass trumpet or alto if you have one.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Looking at your instrument list, I'm thinking your backup bass is an Olds P-24G?

As others have said, a lot depends on what sort of case you have. Is it the original Olds case? I've got some experience with two different styles of OEM P-24G cases and I would be reluctant to fly with either of them. The eariler one (slide slot to the back) weighs a ton and is pretty solid, but doesn't do a good job securing the bell section. The later one (slide slot to the front) does a somewhat better job securing the bell section, but it's not as sturdy (though it is lighter).
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

Yes, I will practice. I don't think buzzing will cut it. As to the case, a Pro-Tec about to the end of it's life or an Eastman. I do have the stock P-24G case, it is a tank but I am not sure I trust it.

I am leaning toward having the kid ship it to me after I fly back since this is my backup bass. Thinking this might be less hassle then flying.
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

US airlines are mandated by the FAA rules to accept any instrument in the overhead as long as it physically fits and there is room left (I.e. They don't have to remove suitcases if the bins are full). If you don't have priority boarding through status or a credit card, do what you can to be in zone 3 (there are ways to pay to ensure to have that, or to choose seats wisely).

If you know that you only fly on very small planes where it won't fit, then I would suggest buying or borrowing an SKB golf flight case to check it. That should will fit your bass inside its own case or gig bag, plus a bunch of clothes and/or shoes. I've used that for dozens of flights over the last 11 years and have yet to have any damage to my instrument. It'll be only slightly more expensive than shipping your horn, probably safer, and then you have that case for next time. It's guaranteed for life, when something on it eventually breaks, they send you replacement parts for free anywhere in the world.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

:good: What maximillian said!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Sorry, PSJ, but I think your instincts are correct. It's unlikely that any trombone case will fit in the overhead of a typical regional small plane, whether jet or turboprop. These bins are much smaller than on a long-range jet, and they fill up fast.

You can package it carefully in a suitable case and bring it as checked baggage (some risk), or ship it and take your chances with Fed-Ex (also some risk).

Good luck.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

If it's a hard shell Protec, you should be fine just gate checking it. I've flown quite a bit with a Protec ProPac and never had issues. Pack a hand towel in the case over the bell in case the slide shifts forward too much.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Shipping the horn seems like the best option.
UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS....... your choice.
The horn is likely to be in much safer hands than it would be in the hands of airline baggage handlers.
FedEx sells cardboard "golf bag boxes" for $14................https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/pa ... boxes.html
U-Haul sells "lamp boxes" a little cheaper...............https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Bo ... x/?id=2747
Check your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance.
Most policies cover loss of personal property that is remote from the residence.
The above shipping companies offer shipping insurance at an additional cost, but it is very expensive.
This ain't good.............https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... usg=AI4_-k
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

I would ship or use the golf case option, which I’ve done taking a bass trombone to Europe. In this case I would ship it so you don’t have the hassle of having to pick up the golf case at the oversized baggage conveyor.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Just ship it. You're done.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Instruments”