Should I stick with the bell type I've been used to?

gheinberg

Should I stick with the bell type I've been used to?

Post by gheinberg »

Hey all,

I'm currently looking for a new jazz horn, and I've played pretty much all gold brass bells throughout my life, with the exception of my current large bore horn. Does this hint that the "ideal" jazz horn for me is going to be a gold brass bell (ie. should I primarily look for/try out gold brass bell horns) or should I try out a broader variety despite this pattern?

Thanks for your inputs.
BGuttman

Re: Should I stick with the bell type I've been used to?

Post by BGuttman »

To quote someone who used to post here a lot "try everything, use what works".

I tend to be a bit bright and a gold brass bell tones me down. Others love yellow brass.

There are tons of good jazz horns out there. Ranging from old classics like the King 3B or Martin Urbie to some really nice modern models like the Edwards T-302 and Shires MD. If you really like your XO, there are a pair of them that are "jazz size" (0.500" and 0.508" - I forget the model numbers).

I played some classical on a 1925 Olds (TIS) and a 1927 Conn 40H, but for most classical I had to use a larger instrument. Note that at the time the Olds and Conn were built they would have been considered a proper size for orchestral use.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
gheinberg

Post by gheinberg »

Got it, thanks man!
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The ONLY way to tell is to play as many different types of bells in as many actual playing situations as possible!!

Blowing a few notes in a practice room or display area won't give you the real story!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bonearzt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:30 pm Blowing a few notes in a practice room or display area won't give you the real story!!
:good:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Maybe yes, maybe no. Horns are the sum of all of their parts, and one horn might work better for YOU with a gold brass bell than a yellow brass bell, while others may work the other way around. Some trombones also may feature gold brass leadpipes, which also affects the sound. Which reminds me that I want to get a seamed copper MV42 leadpipe for my Kanstul 1570 and maybe give it some more mellowness and core.

but anyway, try out everything that you can and see how they work for you.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”