Holton Tr-180 Age

WilsonR4f

Holton Tr-180 Age

Post by WilsonR4f »

Hi everyone

First time posting on here.

I’m looking for some experts who can tell me more information about my Holton Tr-180. I’m in the middle of reducing my collection and I have no idea where to start with this instrument! Its serial number is 550*** so I think that puts it around the late 1970’s.

The overall condition is fair and I do have the D tubing slide replacement as well as the original

Any information is really appreciated as I’m planing on listing it in the next few weeks

Happy to send pictures over as I’m not sure how to attach on here
MrHCinDE

Re: Holton Tr-180 Age

Post by MrHCinDE »

Your estimate of the age based on that serial checks out according to this list:

https://holtonloyalist.com/serial-numbers/

Nice horns. The D slide definitely adds some value.

If the main slide and valves are good then you can expect a decent price for it, there are plenty of TR-180 fans around. They’ve come up every so often in the classifieds here. If you want a first estimate of a price range, have a search through the old classified ads.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

You'll need three approved posts before it lets you post images, see the classifieds etc
WilsonR4f

Post by WilsonR4f »

I’ll have a search :) thank you!

Yes both valves are very smooth and slide is good. When I bought it a few years back, I had it fully serviced by Clennell customs brass in Birmingham. He liked it so much he bought himself one! The D pipe was a good find on Facebook. A old music shop closed down and had 4 of them in a box which was just labelled “Holton”. they didn’t know what they were and from the pictures, it looked like it was the piece I was looking for.

Return to “Instruments”