Eastman ETB848 Bass Trombone

NickHomes

Eastman ETB848 Bass Trombone

Post by NickHomes »

Hi everyone!
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Eastman ETB848 Bass Trombone, especially thinking of someone who intends to approach the bass... Would a second hand horn be a better choice for the price?
Thank you very much!
BGuttman

Re: Eastman ETB848 Bass Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

I'd recommend a used instrument. Is the student familiar with F-attachment? If not, consider a single valve as an intermediate step. If the student is already familiar with the F-attachment then a double is a good idea. Warning: a bass trombone is heavier than an F-attachment

Generally dependent instruments are less expensive, but independents are more popular since you can get additional flexibility using the 2nd valve alone. Whichever you start on, you will get used to it.

For dual valves, the Benge 290 punches well above its weight and might sell used for what you would pay for the Eastman new. Also consider the Conn 112H, King 7B or 8B, and the Olds P24.

For Dependents, there are instruments in Bb/F/Flat E (the original double), Bb/F/Eb, and Bb/F/D. The Bb/F/Flat E is generally less expensive but also less versatile. Some can be converted to be the other tuning using a slide extender for the 2nd valve tuning slide. This was done for the King 6B Duo Gravis among others.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tmarco97

Post by tmarco97 »

In my experience with the horn, it plays well and I would’ve purchased it if I didn’t have access to the Shires Q series. Although, at the price one can probably find a used Shires Q bass which are compatible with modular Shires components. I paid $3100 for mine.
asmith

Post by asmith »

The ETB848 is nice, but the Q series are a little better. The compatibility with custom parts gives the Q series an edge.

You may be able to find a second hand bass for the same as a non-discounted Q Series or ETB848. Then again, it maybe a challenge to find something that you are happy with the condition of.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

If I had to buy a new bass right now for under $5k, I would buy an ETB848 without hesitation. The one I tried at ITF years ago played so well that I thought it was a custom Shires (it was at the Eastman/Shires booth after all) until I looked at the bell. I have yet to play a new factory non-modular bass that I like more. Rath R900 would be my next choice. I haven't played a Q though!

Still, at about $3.3k you could get a very nice used independent bass trombone for the same price.
NickHomes

Post by NickHomes »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:17 am I'd recommend a used instrument. Is the student familiar with F-attachment? If not, consider a single valve as an intermediate step. If the student is already familiar with the F-attachment then a double is a good idea. Warning: a bass trombone is heavier than an F-attachment

Generally dependent instruments are less expensive, but independents are more popular since you can get additional flexibility using the 2nd valve alone. Whichever you start on, you will get used to it.

For dual valves, the Benge 290 punches well above its weight and might sell used for what you would pay for the Eastman new. Also consider the Conn 112H, King 7B or 8B, and the Olds P24.

For Dependents, there are instruments in Bb/F/Flat E (the original double), Bb/F/Eb, and Bb/F/D. The Bb/F/Flat E is generally less expensive but also less versatile. Some can be converted to be the other tuning using a slide extender for the 2nd valve tuning slide. This was done for the King 6B Duo Gravis among others.
Thank you very much for your reply and advice.... I will look for one of these models!

tmarco97 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 am In my experience with the horn, it plays well and I would’ve purchased it if I didn’t have access to the Shires Q series. Although, at the price one can probably find a used Shires Q bass which are compatible with modular Shires components. I paid $3100 for mine.
Thank you very much for your answer! The thing is that I could get a new Eastman for 2700, that's why I was in doubt as I haven't seen any second hand Shires Q for that price....
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

NickHomes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm Thank you very much for your answer! The thing is that I could get a new Eastman for 2700, that's why I was in doubt as I haven't seen any second hand Shires Q for that price....
I don't know the seller, but here's a used Q advertised for $3000: https://reverb.com/item/65100537-shires ... uer-finish
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:53 pm
NickHomes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm Thank you very much for your answer! The thing is that I could get a new Eastman for 2700, that's why I was in doubt as I haven't seen any second hand Shires Q for that price....
I don't know the seller, but here's a used Q advertised for $3000: https://reverb.com/item/65100537-shires ... uer-finish
Take a look at the pictures in that Reverb advertisement. How did they get a split valve mechanism horn in a Hercules stand?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm

Take a look at the pictures in that Reverb advertisement. How did they get a split valve mechanism horn in a Hercules stand?
That does seem difficult, but it’s possible—I don’t have one and have never tried them myself, but the bass trombonist in my regular group uses a Hercules stand also for his Getzen Custom (independent Thayers). I’ve also seen him use it on a Jin Bao independent bass when his other horn was in the shop.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Maybe I’m missing something. How does a spit valve impact using this stand? My problem is the under lever for the second valve on my XO 1240. I think it could work but takes some finesse to get it on the stand.
Steve
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

sacfxdx wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:23 am Maybe I’m missing something. How does a spit valve impact using this stand?
Split, not spit.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

JohnL wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:57 am
sacfxdx wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:23 am Maybe I’m missing something. How does a spit valve impact using this stand?
Split, not spit.
I guess I am missing something. Reading ability. :shuffle:

Thanks.
Steve
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Explanation: On a double-valve bass trombone, the lever that is activated by the middle finger on the left hand is located at a place where it gets directly in the way when using the “Hercules” trombone stand. The lever usually prevents the trombone from fitting on the stand. I am am not able to use the Hercules stand with any of my double-valve bass trombones.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Instruments”