Smaller horns backing up?

Fruitysloth

Smaller horns backing up?

Post by Fruitysloth »

Hey all,

I'm demoing a King 2b that I borrowed locally. I don't know the term for it, but it feels like in the upper register, the horn either backs up, or cuts out, like things aren't as smooth. I currently play a Rath R100, .500 bore, and it doesn't seem to have the same problem. I'm using a Schilke 43A, but have also used a Marcinkiewicz Lloyd Ulyate with the same results. Could this be a leadpipe issue? Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Burgerbob

Re: Smaller horns backing up?

Post by Burgerbob »

That's a pretty small mouthpiece. 2B isn't too picky about mouthpieces- try something a bit bigger and see what happens.

Also, not all horns are created equal... though most of the 2Bs I've played have been very easy to play, not all of them are.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

That's an issue I've encountered with all the 2B's I've owned (4-5).The slots kind-of vanish above C. I don't know why, though - could be the way I play. Had the same problem with the XO Fedchock model, and that horn is based on a King 2B-Plus.

I've never run into that issue with my Lawler, Williams, or Martin Urbie Green horns. I think horns with semi-squared crooks work better for me.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

When I play horns under 500 bore, it takes me a while to adjust to using less air. Also if I've been playing a lot of bass or tuba recently the same can happen. I've not had the problem specifically with a 2b, but definitely with Conn 24h and Bach 6. For me the solution is usually to not work as hard taking air in.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sounds like that isn't the 2B you're looking for.

Is there damage to the bends?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

About a year ago I got a 2B and played it exclusively for several months. In general I liked it, but that feeling (and sound) of not slotting enough in the high range never went away, just like Dave Ashley said.

A 2B is smaller than .500, but it's dual bore and it really needs a bigger backbore than a straight .500 bore horn. That's why it feels like it backs up in the high range.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I felt the same on all my small bores and switched to a larger mouthpiece (Bach 5). That opened up the horn very well for me. I now play a DE combo similar to a Bach 5 on all my small bores.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had that same problem with certain horns.
I had a 2B and 2 different 6H`s that backed up on me .
They played great at home but in the real world they backed up and lost the upper range
Which in turn gave me endurance problems.
Sold those horns
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Across the horn, it's like hyperbolica says - you use less air.

But re the high range shift in feel, it's not the leadpipe.

More open pipes can (sometimes) make it slightly easier to 'muscle past' some of these issues, and tighter (sometimes) camouflages the register issue by defining the feel up front in a way that makes the deeper inconsistencies less noticeable, but it's not the leadpipe.

(I do have some thoughts and suspicions as to what *it is*, but that's for another day.)
Last edited by ithinknot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Try playing a sackbut. You will quickly learn the value, wisdom - and absolute necessity - of using much less air!

If you are sensitive to the difference on trombones, you may learn how to ration your airflow for different equipment or repertoire. If not - well, don't make me listen.

Return to “Instruments”