Olds Recording old vs new vs Reynolds

KWatson51

Olds Recording old vs new vs Reynolds

Post by KWatson51 »

New here. Sold my King 607 a few months ago to an aspiring student. Now looking for something along the lines of Olds Recording, Reynolds 70, King 3b. Have located a couple of Olds Recording bones—one old, one newer and one Reynolds 70 (older). Don’t need F attachment, just straight trombone. Interested in opinions.

(Had a Bach Strad 36 in college. Hated it. We did not get along at all—couldn’t seem to play it in tune. Harmonics we’re wonky).
Posaunus

Re: Olds Recording old vs new vs Reynolds

Post by Posaunus »

Reynolds 70 (1930s-1960s) - out of date; I think they require (or at least prefer) special Reynolds mouthpieces with oversized shank. Could be O.K. if well-maintained.

Olds Recording (1940s-1970s) can be great if well-maintained. (I love mine.) Beautiful appearance if lacquer is still intact. Duo-octagonal slides are somewhat vulnerable to wear and damage. Older models (prior to 1971 or thereabouts) require (or at least prefer) special Olds mouthpieces with undersized shank. Newer models take standard Small Shank pieces. Preferable to the Reynolds.

King 3B is a safe bet. Still made - the design has barely changed in decades. Well-made; versatile; robust. Readily available used; easily resold. If you find a good one, jump on it!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Overall, I'd agree that a 3B would be the safest choice.

At least from what I see on Contempora Corner, Reynolds Model 70's can be either .480" bore or .500" bore. I'd consider the .480" version to be a non-starter for most people; they're just too small.
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

Ok, now if I could just find an affordable 3b. They seem to be scarce.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

KWatson51 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:42 pm Ok, now if I could just find an affordable 3b. They seem to be scarce.
What do you consider affordable? A good used 3B is probably a good investment (not much further depreciation). They occasionally show up in the TromboneChat Classifieds. Keep an eye on this site.
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

I can spend $1000, but prefer much less. Will continue the search. Thank you.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Other Olds small-bore tenors (e.g., Studio, Super) are nearly as good as the Recording model and usually available at very reasonable prices - definitely less than $1,000. They will all have the small mouthpiece receiver, but are very robust.
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

Thanks, I was looking at those as well and wondered about overall quality and sound. Looking at some on Reverb.
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:58 pm
KWatson51 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:42 pm Ok, now if I could just find an affordable 3b. They seem to be scarce.
What do you consider affordable? A good used 3B is probably a good investment (not much further depreciation). They occasionally show up in the TromboneChat Classifieds. Keep an eye on this site.
I have seen comments that the 3b made today are “mere replicas” of the ones from 1970s and before. Any validity to that? Searched for a thread about this but didn’t find one. What year did they change (if they did)?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

KWatson51 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:01 pm Thanks, I was looking at those as well and wondered about overall quality and sound. Looking at some on Reverb.
Olds Studio and Super - slightly smaller bell and bore (0.485"/0.500" dual bore) than the Recording (0.495”/0.510" dual bore) but they can still sound quite good. Depends on the player, the player's sound concept, the mouthpiece, and the style of music you are playing. Quality is generally good (depending on condition - they are all pretty old and could have been abused along the line); sturdy trombones; manufacturing was excellent back in the day.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

KWatson51 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:32 pm I have seen comments that the 3b made today are “mere replicas” of the ones from 1970s and before. Any validity to that? Searched for a thread about this but didn’t find one. What year did they change (if they did)?
"Mere replicas" ? - NO! King may have had a heyday in the 1940s through 1970s-1980s (I can personally testify to the quality of their trombones in that era), but I don't think they have slipped much since then. I have heard rumors of a few bad years at the factory, but I don't know which those may have been. I play alongside a 2B, a "Jiggs", and a 3B, all built recently, that are superb.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You can get 2 or 3 Recordings for the price of a decent 3b. 3b can be nice for some people, neither is a guaranteed fit. I've had both, but only still own a Recording.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

How are the Holton TR-501 "Special" models? I'm seeing one of those on the Dillon Music website. They also have an olds Super model, as does the Brass Exchange. There are also some really nice Yamaha models that are in that size range.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There is a Selmer Bolero currently listed here.

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26711

These are very nice horns similar in size to the Recording or 3B.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

KWatson51......

I read your profile.
Welcome back to the trombone.
You can't go wrong with either the Olds Recording or the King 3B.
Both good horns, but different in feel and sound.
Maybe you would like the Recording sound and feel better than that of the King.......or not.
Safer to try before you buy.
bellend

Post by bellend »

SteveM wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:29 am There is a Selmer Bolero currently listed here.

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26711

These are very nice horns similar in size to the Recording or 3B.
I would second that , very underated instruments.

Good luck!

BellEnd
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

Thank you all for your comments. I’ve never been a trombone historian, and haven’t played very many horns, so your experiences are valuable to me.
KWatson51

Post by KWatson51 »

Update: Just acquired a 1970 King 3B. Now I gotta figure out how to work it.

Return to “Instruments”