Noisy slide - suggestions?

blap73

Noisy slide - suggestions?

Post by blap73 »

My Frankenhorn https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29123
has a Jupiter 532 lower slide which is a nickel silver outer. This is a new inner and outer from Votah. I've done the obvious stuff (clean, clean, clean, lube, clean, lube, check alignment, etc.) but the lower slide is still quite noisy. Confirmed it is the lower by engaging only the lower tubes.

Is this just the way nickle silver will be, or anyone have some suggestions? The action is pretty good. Not perfect, could be better.

A bit disappointing given the tubes are new. I'm using Yamasnot for lube.

Thank you!
Mr412

Re: Noisy slide - suggestions?

Post by Mr412 »

You cleaned ok. But did you burnish? All the Kanstuls I ever bought had noisy, raspy slides until I burnished the inside of the outers. I even had to use Brasso a couple times - which is very controversial - (but that's how desperate I got) and then thoroughly wash it out and then burnish dry. The difference was from a 2 to a 10. Try just burnishing dry first. Work up some warmth while you are doing it.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

I think this is the vid:

Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I would have the interior of the outers polished with tripoli, then checked for alignment.

After that, nickel tubes do seem a bit more "scratchy" sounding than brass, but I feel it's the nature of the material.

Also, be rather generous with your lube of choice!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Thanks for the suggestions... I did previously do some polishing with red rouge. Interesting that I should try tripoli.
The cheesecloth burnishing has helped. I'd say cut the noise in half and improved the action a bit too. I hadn't thought of that given that the tubes are new. I need to get some more cheesecloth (and better stuff that isn't so loose), and will go at that again.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just echoing that my experience with nickel silver outers is that they are noisier and/or scratchier feeling than brass outers. I think the material is definitely harder, and especially if there is some oxidation, brass gets kinda slippery, while the nickel in nickel silver becomes hard.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

blap73 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:20 am Thanks for the suggestions... I did previously do some polishing with red rouge. Interesting that I should try tripoli.
The cheesecloth burnishing has helped. I'd say cut the noise in half and improved the action a bit too. I hadn't thought of that given that the tubes are new. I need to get some more cheesecloth (and better stuff that isn't so loose), and will go at that again.
Yep, polish those outers with cheesecloth and Wright's. I'll use enough cheesecloth that it's packed tight and polish enough that the outer tubes are noticeably warm to the touch, and that cuts down any scratchiness that develops in my nickel slide.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Nickel is harder than yellow brass, so it takes longer for the repetitive motion of the slide (the chrome plated inner slides actually polish the inside of the outers) to burnish the high spots out of the metal. Once nickel slides are “broken in,” they retain a smoother action longer than yellow outlets if not used.

If you want a smooth slide……make sure it is clean, aligned well and USE IT A LOT.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

blap73 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:20 am Thanks for the suggestions... I did previously do some polishing with red rouge. Interesting that I should try tripoli.
If you need something more coarse than cheesecloth, look for some fine muslin!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Instruments”