Bass Trombone

Bringthebassin

Bass Trombone

Post by Bringthebassin »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a relatively cheap bass trombone (around $3000). I am out of college now and want to start playing again but can't seem to find any places in my area that sell quality horns in my area for that price(Philadelphia). I'm kind of against buying horns online because I can't play them and see how they respond. As far as what kind of horn I would like, it doesn't really matter to me independent or dependent valves. I'm cool with used horns and long as they still work well. Does any one have any suggestions as far as shops for me to look in to?
BGuttman

Re: Bass Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Not too far away (Iselin NJ) is Dillon Music. Great selection of used horns, all at good prices.

You should be able to find something pretty good for your price point.

You should get good bang for the buck with a Benge 290 or a King 7B. There is also a Wessex Tubas copy of the King 7B that sells new for well below your price point.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would second Dillon Music, and also mention Baltimore Brass, the Brass Exchange, and the Brass Ark. There are some other shops as well.

Your main issue right now is that there are not many used horns out there on the market, especially compared to a year or so ago. They move FAST, because right now it's hard to find bass trombones new OR used.

Anyway, there are a fair number Conn, Holton, Olds, King, Benge and Yamaha models that are no longer made which would probably fit your needs perfectly.

There are also a lot of used Bach 50 bass trombones out there, though for some reason Bach still makes their traditional Dependent Basses with the weird double paddle thing and Bb/F/Eb tuning without an included D crook, because they hate innovation for some reason.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bringthebassin

Post by Bringthebassin »

Your main issue right now is that there are not many used horns out there on the market, especially compared to a year or so ago. They move FAST, because right now it's hard to find bass trombones new OR used.

Yes, I think that's my problem. All my normal avenues seem to be dry. But thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Getzen, older Holtons, or Yamaha can usually be had for less than the boutique horns, and are good instruments. Personally, I think King basses are stuffy and can be an ergonomic disaster for a lot of players. Obviously there are those who disagree.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Noah currently has a Conn 73H Artist Symphony at the Brass Ark for a nice price. He also has a generous return policy if the horn isn’t quite what you’re looking for.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I know of a beautiful Getzen independent bass that is (was?) for sale in the Philly area. I'll try contacting the seller and alert him to this post if it is still available. (He's a member of trombonechat)
sctroy

Post by sctroy »

I will have one available soon - email sent.

Steve Troy
mooretrombone

Post by mooretrombone »

I sent you an email about a King 7B I have in Philly. No need for me to have two basses!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bringthebassin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 pm Your main issue right now is that there are not many used horns out there on the market, especially compared to a year or so ago. They move FAST, because right now it's hard to find bass trombones new OR used.

Yes, I think that's my problem. All my normal avenues seem to be dry. But thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those.
THIS. I traded in a Silver Yamaha YBL-613H at Dillon Music at the very end of October, and it was gone in about a week. I just couldn't deal with the silver plating.

I think I saw some type of holton up at the Brass Exchange.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:47 amTHIS. I traded in a Silver Yamaha YBL-613H at Dillon Music at the very end of October, and it was gone in about a week. I just couldn't deal with the silver plating.
I was tempted by that one, though silver plating on a trombone does just seem odd. Nice horn otherwise?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

spencercarran wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:13 pmI was tempted by that one, though silver plating on a trombone does just seem odd. Nice horn otherwise?
Relatively so, though I really wished it still had the original case, as the leather Reunion blues / kronkhite case seemed to make it tarnish very quickly. It had a nice sound but was somewhat heavy. It also had definitely been a marching horn, and both inner slide tubes had dent repairs from a bell rim strike.

I only bought it a year or so back at Dillon because I wanted to try an Indy bass, and wanted it to have the option of Bb/F/G/Eb and Bb/F/Gb/D. Eventually I decided it was just a bit to heavy sounding for me, and the G attachment just didn't work for me as well as the "regular" independent tuning.

I will say, if it had been Lacquer, I would have kept it. I passed on a pro-owned lacquer 613H a while before that, which I really should have just gone for. Would have been quicker, easier, and cheaper in the long run. Live and learn!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

You can get a brand new xo bass bone for 4k and a little change. Quinn the Eskimo frequently has demo horns for less!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Instruments”