Yamaha YSL882OR

JCBone

Yamaha YSL882OR

Post by JCBone »

I found a really good deal on a Yamaha YLS882OR. What are you're guys thoughts on this horn?
MTbassbone

Re: Yamaha YSL882OR

Post by MTbassbone »

JCBone wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:49 pm I found a really good deal on a Yamaha YLS882OR. What are you're guys thoughts on this horn?
https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... OR#p101305
CalebLangford

Post by CalebLangford »

Hi,
I currently own the 882O (no removable leadpipe) which is very similar to the R model. I can recommend it and have played on it for about 7 years and no problems with it. The valve is noisy however (if that bothers you) but the range is clear all the way up. Not the most responsive trombone I've played but a good instrument none the less.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

CalebLangford wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm Hi,
I currently own the 882O (no removable leadpipe) which is very similar to the R model. I can recommend it and have played on it for about 7 years and no problems with it. The valve is noisy however (if that bothers you) but the range is clear all the way up. Not the most responsive trombone I've played but a good instrument none the less.
The valve shouldn't be noisy... have you lubed all the linkage?

As to OP, they are pretty solid. Nothing special on average though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I really liked the 882GOR I tried at ITF this year. In my opinion it was the best playing Yamaha large tenor at the booth, slightly ahead of the 882OR.

Yamahas are solid horns - I've found they don't provide as much feedback to the player as other horns, but the sound out front is generally really solid, you just have to trust it a different way.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Remington

Post by Remington »

CalebLangford wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm Hi,
882OR and 882O are different horn beyond the removable leadpipe... You can compare the individual components at www.yamaha24x7.com. Bracing, valve, valve tubing, slide crook, leadpipe. They share some parts but there are significant differences, especially in how they play.

Ko-ichiro Yamamoto, David Finlayson, Larry Zalkind along with many other professionals (military bands) play / have played this model.

Return to “Instruments”