Lätzsch Leadpipe threads

BrianJohnston

Lätzsch Leadpipe threads

Post by BrianJohnston »

Has anybody with a Lätzsch messed around with various leadpipes? I'm wondering which other threads are compatible. thanks!
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Chatname

Re: Lätzsch Leadpipe threads

Post by Chatname »

My colleague just received a whole lot of leadpipes to try out for his Lätzsch kontrabass trombone, so it seems they can deliver a variety of options…
Don’t know about the threads, though. I used to play a fantastic Lätzsch alto in my former orchestra, however I believe the leadpipe was soldered. And I certainly wouldn’t have changed anything on that instrument anyway.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Chatname wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:27 pm My colleague just received a whole lot of leadpipes to try out for his Lätzsch kontrabass trombone, so it seems they can deliver a variety of options…
Don’t know about the threads, though. I used to play a fantastic Lätzsch alto in my former orchestra, however I believe the leadpipe was soldered. And I certainly wouldn’t have changed anything on that instrument anyway.
I don't really want to change anything on it, although I am really really used to playing on nickel silver leadpipes
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I can confirm that there are different leadpipes available .

I have several lying around that I/my former teacher has bought directly from Lätzsch.
They differ in length, in the material, as well as in the bore (in some of them the mouthpiece wobbles a bit).

Unfortunately, the leadpipes but are not marked, so that for me the properties (except the length) are difficult to compare.

Nevertheless, significant differences are noticeable, so I change from time to time.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If for some reason you can’t order them direct, you may be able to have one made or at least have a temporary one made. Matt Frost is making something kind of similar for me now, actually. Many places that are good with a CNC would be able to duplicate the threads. If you merely need to try pipes, getting just the threaded ring can prevent push pipes from getting stuck while you evaluate. Then, of course, someone should trivially be able to solder the ring to the pipe when you land on something you like

Return to “Instruments”