King 3bf Attachment Tuning

Trombola2112

King 3bf Attachment Tuning

Post by Trombola2112 »

Recently acquired a 3bf that's been a great "do all" horn. One thing I'm curious about is why are there 2 tuning slides on the f-attachment. The only other trigger horn I've had is an open wrap, so this is new to me.
BGuttman

Re: King 3bf Attachment Tuning

Post by BGuttman »

The King wrap is somewhat unusual. Notice that there are few very sharp bends so they never needed to implement an open wrap.

The double loop design has two slides . The shorter one is to tune the attachment while the longer one is your E Pull. Thus you don't need to retune the F attachment going in and out of E.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:15 am …The shorter one is to tune the attachment while the longer one is your E Pull. Thus you don't need to retune the F attachment going in and out of E.
I use it for this too on the rare occasion I would need an E pull, as well as for convenient access to empty water
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I tune with the small one, dump water with the big.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:15 am The double loop design has two slides . The shorter one is to tune the attachment while the longer one is your E Pull. Thus you don't need to retune the F attachment going in and out of E.
Interesting, is there any reason they did that on a small bore?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The 3B-F, 4B-F, and 5B all use the same design for the F-attachment/. The E-pull would probably be more common on the larger horns, but why make a unique wrap for just one?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

Makes sense, no point making a new design when a copy/paste works just as good.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Not entirely related to what you're asking but kind of tangentially. If you have the brace removed from the main tuning slide, you can switch the valve slides around to have a valve tuned in G, as well. If you do a search on the forum you can find info about modifying King trombones in this way.

Return to “Instruments”