Yamaha or Rath?

bazman62

Yamaha or Rath?

Post by bazman62 »

Hi all, looking for some advice.
I'm a returning player after many years off.
I'm looking to buy a new instrument and have two in mind.
The Yamaha YSL-445 & The Rath R100. (Yamaha 525mm bore. Rath 500mm Bore).
As I live on an Island, there are no shops in which to try various types and sizes, the only way is to mail order, which over here we commonly use Thomman.
The style of playing would be Jazz Classic's/Contemporary in a Trio or Quartet.
There is about €500 difference in price.
Is the Rath worth the extra?
Will the Yamaha suffice?
Thanks.
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha or Rath?

Post by BGuttman »

You are trying to compare an apple with an orange and determine which is best for fruit salad (they both are).

The Rath R100 is comparable to a Yamaha 695 or 651, not the 445. If there is a Rath 300, that would be comparable to the Yamaha 445.

I am sure either instrument would work OK. I would probably place a small preference on the Yamaha just because they tend to have the best uniformity and your chances of buying a dud off the dock are minimal (not that they are that much higher in the Rath x00).

I think you might do much better with a good used instrument. There are a number of reliable sellers here in our Classifieds, including one who is from Spain.

Are you going to be the only trombone in a mixed ensemble or would you be playing in a trombone quartet? If the latter, a lot of the rep seems to favor using an F-attachment in the tenor voices.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

The Yamaha is a .525 bore, the Rath is a .500 bore. So it really depends on what you are looking for in a horn… if you’re looking for an “all-around” horn, then the Yamaha is the way to go… if you’re looking for a jazz/commercial horn, the the Rath is the way to go.

The Yamaha is going to be a good horn… not a great horn… but very good. The Rath is not the full blown custom Rath… it is a Chinese made horn based on the specs of an R10, then looked over by the shop in England. Again, a good horn, but not great… I would say that the Rath will be a little better player than the Yamaha, because of the personal treatment from the Rath shop… but again, it depends on what you’re looking for in a horn… these two are like comparing apples and oranges.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
bazman62

Post by bazman62 »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:35 am You are trying to compare an apple with an orange and determine which is best for fruit salad (they both are).

The Rath R100 is comparable to a Yamaha 695 or 651, not the 445. If there is a Rath 300, that would be comparable to the Yamaha 445.

I am sure either instrument would work OK. I would probably place a small preference on the Yamaha just because they tend to have the best uniformity and your chances of buying a dud off the dock are minimal (not that they are that much higher in the Rath x00).

I think you might do much better with a good used instrument. There are a number of reliable sellers here in our Classifieds, including one who is from Spain.

Are you going to be the only trombone in a mixed ensemble or would you be playing in a trombone quartet? If the latter, a lot of the rep seems to favor using an F-attachment in the tenor voices.

Good luck.
I'll go for the Yamaha ... Thanks for :wink: the input :wink:
bazman62

Post by bazman62 »

deanmccarty wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:22 am The Yamaha is a .525 bore, the Rath is a .500 bore. So it really depends on what you are looking for in a horn… if you’re looking for an “all-around” horn, then the Yamaha is the way to go… if you’re looking for a jazz/commercial horn, the the Rath is the way to go.

The Yamaha is going to be a good horn… not a great horn… but very good. The Rath is not the full blown custom Rath… it is a Chinese made horn based on the specs of an R10, then looked over by the shop in England. Again, a good horn, but not great… I would say that the Rath will be a little better player than the Yamaha, because of the personal treatment from the Rath shop… but again, it depends on what you’re looking for in a horn… these two are like comparing apples and oranges.
I'll go for the Yamaha ... thanks for the advice ;)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

2nd the Yamaha. 445 is a really good all-around horn.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have owned a Yamaha 445. Honestly, is is probably the LAST Yamaha I would choose. I rarely dislike Yamahas but that model did nothing for me. For .525-bore horns, the Yamaha 630 is a *way better* horn.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

I totally agree Greenbean. A friend of mine got a Yammy 640 (version with valve) last year and is very happy with it.

Return to “Instruments”