Boutique Small bore horns w/ valve

JLivi

Boutique Small bore horns w/ valve

Post by JLivi »

It’s often talked about how the king 3bf is one of the most versatile horns out there. It got me thinking. Are there any new makers out there making .500 or .508 bore horns with an f attachment?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
ScaryTerry

Re: Boutique Small bore horns w/ valve

Post by ScaryTerry »

Shires does (at least for the Gilkes model)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Rath also does a small bore F attachment.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

There's a forum member who has an Edwards small bore with a valve. Don't know if that was done at Edwards or aftermarket though.

Others:

Thein Maxim (.488")
Carol Brass CTB-2229-YSS-YNNN-N3 (.508")
Jupiter JTB710F (.500")

Yamaha YSL-356G (.500"-.525", so it half counts.)
Inderbinen Ballet Quart (also .500"-.525")
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I'm going to be doing a 3bf sized horn double valved for a client soon, but I've built a handful of them prior (single valve of course).
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

LIBrassCo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:00 pm I'm going to be doing a 3bf sized horn double valved for a client soon, but I've built a handful of them prior (single valve of course).
Oh man, I cannot wait to see what you cook up. Are you using stock king rotors?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Shires Gilkes and also the MD+ .508 has been done with a valve a few times.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

How about this?
https://www.kuehnl-hoyer.de/en/produkt ... ier-512-f/
I‘d still class it as small bore but having sat next to someone playing one in rehearsal I could easily have believed he was playing a medium bore setup in some tunes and a 0.500“ in others. I didn‘t play it but can confirm it was supremely comfortable to hold.

If you want to go to 0.500“, you can also combine a 0.500“ slide from a King 2B+/606 or Benge 170 with the 3B/F. I have this facility but so far get more use out of the 3B slide on the Benge 170 bell than the other way round.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:05 pm
LIBrassCo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:00 pm I'm going to be doing a 3bf sized horn double valved for a client soon, but I've built a handful of them prior (single valve of course).
Oh man, I cannot wait to see what you cook up. Are you using stock king rotors?
Either hagmanns or meinl open flows.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ohhhhh man. Small bore king with inline Hagmanns is the horn I always wanted but didn’t know it. I bet that thing is going to play like a total dream.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not a lot of room for haggies with a narrow slide... using a wider crook too?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:37 am Not a lot of room for haggies with a narrow slide... using a wider crook too?
Prolly. Could end up being Meinls instead so i guess it depends.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

So it looks like Shires, Rath and Edwards all make one. Any thoughts about how it compares to the 3bf?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I had a 1YM Shires that thought played ever so slightly better than a 3BF I had at the time. The dual-bore rotor they put on the small horns is pretty fantastic at Shires. Which isn't to say the King rotors are bat at all. They punch way above their weight IMO. In other words, on a horn setup like a King it's unsurprisingly pretty similar to the King. By similar I mean something like a T08NLWYC slide and a 1YM or thereabouts bell.

That said, I think what put the Shires over the King for me was the yellow slide and nickel uter I had on my Shires slde. Nickel was just a touch too bright for me. Reversing the materials was much better balanced. I've since discovered that the intermediate kings are actually a really good fit for me and I'd take the current 607F with a 500/525 & nickel crook over probably anything I could get from shires. Probably. If I had 5k to drop I'd probably try to find out :shuffle: The 607 bell I have is also unsoldered, so that's more like a 2YLW using Shires nomenclature.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

JLivi wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:29 am So it looks like Shires, Rath and Edwards all make one. Any thoughts about how it compares to the 3bf?
The small bore Fs made by those companies will play like the design of the straight horn with the additional flexibility offered by an F. So it’s hard to do a direct comparison unless you have a boutique horn built to 3B specs (nickel slide, yellow round crook, 2 piece bell soldered rim).

I used to own a Rath R2F w optional straight gooseneck. It played nothing like a 3BF. 8 inch Rose brass lightweight bell, nickel slide. It was more like a featherweight Bach with a voight valve. Build quality and balance was stellar! The response was quick, sound was crystal clear, but I couldn’t get on with it. Very little feedback for me (I need a lot). I think the bell couldn’t handle the energy I was putting through it. At loud volumes it was too bright with my playing style, not enough core for my liking, those horns were designed as 7.5 inch bells, so the 8 inch may have broadened the sound too much? I decided to sell the entire thing instead of tinkering. The valve performed very well though. I enjoyed it in the studio, but felt the horn played better in its original form. I’m happy to say the current owner seems to be very happy with it the last few years and it works for them!

I would imagine that the MD+ with a valve would perform like a more efficient, clearer tone, 3BF, but I haven’t tried one straight or F so I can’t say for sure.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Show us when it's finished! I can't wait to see!!

B.C I tried a Rath with .508 bore and an f-attachement, and it was great. If I remember correctly, I kind of wanted it to have a larger bell, but I don't recall what model it was.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Finetales wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:32 pm There's a forum member who has an Edwards small bore with a valve. Don't know if that was done at Edwards or aftermarket though.
I think one of the guys in Capitol Bones plays one of those. Not 100% sure, but in their videos where he's playing it, it sure looks like an Edwards and sounds like a small bore.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

bassclef wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:30 pm
Finetales wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:32 pm There's a forum member who has an Edwards small bore with a valve. Don't know if that was done at Edwards or aftermarket though.
I think one of the guys in Capitol Bones plays one of those. Not 100% sure, but in their videos where he's playing it, it sure looks like an Edwards and sounds like a small bore.
Jay Gibble. I think it’s an olds valve, not sure if Edwards did the work or not though . The liner notes to one of the capitol bones album makes a joke about it.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

It is a G attachment made for him by Todd Clontz.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

There is also the Yamaha YSL-852, which is .500" with F (and I just found out about!).
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Finetales wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:37 am There is also the Yamaha YSL-852, which is .500" with F (and I just found out about!).
Interesting. Looks like it was produced from 1982 to 1984. Never heard of oneeither.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Here's one for sale in the Philippines - it's the only example I found after a brief search. Has the standard semi-open wrap, but squished to fit in the much narrower span.

Comes out to just under $800, so if anyone feels like getting after it...
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I took an older Edwards valve and had a tech rebuild all the tubing to fit the 500/508 bore Edwards. I had the F tubing cut to Ab, the same as a first valve.

Effectively, I have a one valve/first valve superbone that I can gracefully play fast licks and wild stuff with.

This is a case of after I got electrocuted several years ago, I lost my doodle and double tongue. No amount of practice brought those skills back. So I bought them.

With alternate positions, I can play about any fast lick. Not like alternate positions are hard for a trombonist. I can also play nice low Eb and a good enough low D. But throwing in a 2 octave rip while improvising is a lot of fun.

I guess this horn is more one of a kind then boutique. Pictures are in my profile.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

I bought a Rath R2F (.510) with a 7.75" bell from a member here a few years ago, so they do make them! It's been my go-to horn for my wedding band gigs. Plays like a champ, though I may experiment further with different leadpipes as it came with 2 of them both marked "2" and I want to see what other ones feel like.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
MrBadger

Post by MrBadger »

Rath made an R12F for me (0.481″ / 0.491″ with 71/2" bell) with a Voigt valve- lovely instrument :-)

We also tried a Hagman (I've got pics if anyone is interested) but the Voigt worked better.
IMG_0482.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current stable
Rath R12F, R4F, R900
Bach LT16MG, 42B
Holton TR181
Getzen Bass Trumpet
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

MrBadger wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:10 am Rath made an R12F for me (0.481″ / 0.491″ with 71/2" bell) with a Voigt valve- lovely instrument :-)

We also tried a Hagman (I've got pics if anyone is interested) but the Voigt worked better.

IMG_0482.jpeg
Looks similar to mine! Brushed lacquer bell and all, with the Voigt valve. I had never played on one before and it's quite nice. Very free blowing and does everything I need it to do for the wedding band.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Lars Gerdt in Stockholm is making me a TIS Gerdt Mod 216 small tenor with 8" bell and .500 bore and attachement. It will be built with attachment in F, Gb or G. I'm planning to use the G by default, but guess an attachment in F could be handy sometimes. The Gb might not be much used. It is like the second valve on an inline bass. I might find out later. I imagine a valve in Ab could be more useful than a valve in Gb, but the wrap does not allow for Ab-tuning.

/Tom
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Alternatively, a good tech would be able to modify an existing horn and install a valve (or two). Sourcing brand new small bore rotors and tubing may be difficult and/or expensive, but there's the option to cannibalize existing instruments as well.

Huge fan of a small bore with a valve - I built Marshall Gilke's small bore valve section when I was working at Shìres(.513" valve tubing and .525" valve and valve and neckpipe) and had a chance to play it a bit before it left the factory. Fantastic horn and super responsive thru the valve and pedal register.
sferg

Post by sferg »

Kuhnl & Hoyer offers the Bart Van Lier .512" trombone with F-attachment.

Return to “Instruments”