What is your ideal "Stable"

MKtuba

What is your ideal "Stable"

Post by MKtuba »

I have too much time on my hands, and often think about all of the various instruments that I would love to own, if money was no object. I am a low brass doubler looking to foster a career in collegiate teaching, and unfortunately I have the "Gear Bug" that plagues our community. So, with all that being said, this is my ideal stable. Feel free to include specific models, or just categories ("Large tenor" for instance) in your response.

Tubas:

Large, Rotor Valve German BBb (Meinl Weston Fafner, Miraphone Hagen 497 for instance)
5/4 CC, either a PT6 or Thor
Small CC: Ideally a Miraphone 184 or Yamaha 621
Besson 983 eb, and maybe a top action (981) as well.
Miraphone Elektra F tuba

Euph/ Baritone:

Besson prestige 2052, or maybe a Wilson medium bore. I am a sucker for British Brass Band music, so a Besson is probably what I will end up with.
Double Bell Euph. I don't even know where to begin with this so I can't add a model number.
British Style baritone, like a besson sovereign or Prestige.

Trombones:
F Contra. Probably a chinese one.
Double Rotor Bass: Looking to buy an edwards, but I haven't tried a bunch out so who knows what I'll get.
G Bass trombone. Just want this for historical purposes.
Large tenor: Probably a used Bach 42. I am not much of a tenor player, but would love to get better.
Small tenor: Maybe a medium bore, but just a straight "jazz horn:
Cheap alto.
Maybe a soprano and piccolo trombone, but I am not willing to spend a bunch on this novelty.

MISC:
Valve Trombone. Maybe I could find one of the straight tenors that came with a valve section in addition to a handslide.
Bass trumpet: I love the sound, and would love to get one.
Cimbasso. Nuff said. (My tuba professor, Phil Sinder, has a really cool Sam Gnagey Eb Cimbasso I have discussed purchasing from him but I don't know if I ever will).

I know this is a bunch of gear (easily $100,000 worth) and I will likely never need it all. I could probably end my list with 2 tubas, a euph, and a bass trombone. However, I really enjoy the collection aspect of the music business, and think it would be cool to have all of these instruments represented in my collection. I probably have 10-20 years before I will be able to afford to buy everything listed, but that gives me something to look forward to.

I pose the question: What would be in your ideal stable?
Kevbach33

Re: What is your ideal "Stable"

Post by Kevbach33 »

Starting with the slides...

Thein Eb contrabass (it does exist, and I'm sure they'd be glad to build another if asked and paid) in Eb/CC/BBb/AAb. Double slide.
A custom bass trombone, opera style, in F/D/CC/BBb for orchestral use.
Edit: Slide would have 7 positions and a handle.
M&W Bb/F/G/Eb (and F/Gb/D) bass trombone in the style of the Conn 7xH, including traditional wrap and proportions, for big band.
My Holton 168 is enough large tenor for my needs, although I have played a custom Shires that I'd buy on the spot if I needed it and had the budget... Based on the VNY with axial valve.
Edit: had a TB47NLW slide.
Medium tenor would be the K&H BVL 512F or a Conn 79H.
Small tenor is covered by my 6H.
A JP Rath alto, perhaps. Nothing higher.
All mouthpieces chosen with the help of Doug Elliott from his collections.

Tubas:
Big BBb could be a battle between Miraphone Sigfried and a Rudy Meinl 5/4.
Miraphone 186 or 188 for CC
Miraphone Norwegian Star or Besson 980 (17" bell comp Eb)
6 valve B&S Symphonie
King 2280 (blasphemy? But I'm not budgeting for a top comp if I can avoid it, and I love the sound of these.)
Willson 2975 front action comp euphonium.
Doug Elliott mouthpieces for the above.
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn (I call flugelhorns tubas)

Others:
Cimbasso just because.
Willsax Saxhorn. I thought these were/are super cool.
I've heard good things about the Yamaha Neo baritone horn, so maybe that instead of a Besson Sovereign.
Commission someone to build a compensating alto/tenor horn as proof of concept. .485-.500" bore size.
Alexander 103 double horn. This could pay well, and i can play horn better than trumpet(!) Reading is another matter.

And of course, enough room to display this collection.
Last edited by Kevbach33 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Where would you put it all?

I think I'd have:

Rath R3 w/f medium bore 525
Rath R1, R2 or R10 smaller bore
Custom Conn-ish independent, lightweight (carbon fiber), large rotary, TIS bass bone
And a "baritone in F", compact F Cimbasso, skinny F tuba, or whatever you'd call something in that range.

So essentially nothing that I have currently, although I'm happy with what I have.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Conn 36h alto

King 3B/F + Benge Freelance 170 (interchangeable bell and slide sections are a nice no cost extra)

Modular large bore setup based around Bach 42 with interchangeable parts between:
- straight Bach 42 yellow brass bell section with standard weight Edwards yellow brass slide (nickel silver crook)
- rotary F valve bell section with shires 2R red brass bell and Bach LT slide

Got the above already and see no immediate need to change any of them, other than for rough gigs I wouldn‘t like to play them on.

On the wish list are:
- Willson euphonium
- 4V oval tenor horn with tuning slide trigger, probably melton or miraphone
- Rath R9 bass trombone, not tried all the options do don‘t know exactly in which configuration
- Besson sovereign EEb tuba

As much as a contra and a bass trumpet would be fun, unlike everything else on my list I just wouldn‘t get enough playing time on them.

No point having the best horses without a good trainer so not although not technically part of the bone ‚stable‘, a great teacher is probably more important than any amount of premium hardware so I‘d reserve some cash for that too.
Last edited by MrHCinDE on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
charger

Post by charger »

I'm primarily a brass band euphonium player that doubles on trombone and tuba. I have a German Besson 2052 Prestige Euphonium and a 90's Bach 42b.

HN White King 3b Silversonic
Elkhart Conn 88H
Elkhart Conn 62H
Greenhoe Bach 42
Rath R9

Boosey & Hawkes "Round Stamp" Sovereign 967 Euphonium

Besson Sovereign 981 Tuba original John Fletcher low leadpipe model
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I'm happy with my stable. If anything I'd like to make additions. Most if not all Conns of course.

Altos: 35H and a 36H
Small tenor: 10H (always wanted one)
32H
38H (really want one)
48H
Medium tenor: 79H (to go with my 78H)
Large tenor: an 8H and 88H from the 50's
Mid 60's 88H (with a 9in bell would be cool)
Bass: 70H
71H (stock non-artist symphony)
72H (stock)
73H ( stock non-artist symphony)
83H
111H

Baritone: a better 24I or other front action 4 valve horn.
Tuba: 24J or 25J (i had one, they were fun)
52J
Mirafone CC
Unique: A Conn BBb bassbone
A custom Eb contra bass bone
A Conn 4B bass trumpet

Basically what Noah Gladstone and Doug Bert come across and sell when i no monies.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

When I know, I'll let you know!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I've got my ideal stable:

Conn 36H with work done my CIOMIT
Edwards 396-A
King 3BF-SS (looking for a less fussy, newer slide)

If I can't do the job on one of these three horns, I'm at the wrong gig. Staying in shape on all three basically takes up my practice time.

Ideally, I'd get the Wessex Stearn bass and the Wessex front valve Euph or their compensating baritone, if those instruments played okay and I could try them out. But I don't need these, so I don't own them.

I try lots of instruments. The ones I own now are better than 99% of what I've tried, and the 1% that is better isn't worth the price of admission.

Different mouthpieces for the same horn, that's a different story. I've got three for my large tenor, each one does makes it like a completely different instrument.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I don't think you want me to actually list every instrument I would have with infinite money. It would probably be in the hundreds!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Need to finalize my large bore setup, but I think I'm pretty close to having a full stable finally:

Alto: Wessex 525/547 alto
Small bore: 500/525 607F
Medium Bore: Franken 525/547 w/ 7YLW8, dual-bore rotor
Large bore: ??
Bass: Shires 562/578 w/ indy rotors and a bell probably similar to a 7 bell

I'm thinking a 7YLW in 8.5" with a TW47 might be where I need to take the large bore journey next. Didn't think I'd ever want to replace my 2RVET7...
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I guess I'm getting there? What I have now is as close to what I want as I think is out there, except for the Eb Tuba, as I would want one that maybe take a standard tuba shank mouthpiece, and had plastic valve guides, etc. Ideally I'm looking for a Yamaha YEB-631.

BBb Contrabass tuba is just an instrument that I cannot play. I went through months of trying to get a decent sound and not have notes flubbing all over the place.

As for my "Orchestral" trombone choice, I currently have... Four. They are different enough to justify having four.

These are the current members of my stable that are pretty much set, and I don't see myself really changing them in the future:

Alto: Bach LT39 - Selected from the Bach Factory by Byron Peebles
Jazz Horn: King 2103 / 3B
Pit / Chamber Horn: Bach LT36B. Might get a copper tuning slide for it.
Euphonium: Sterling 1065GHS. A bit worn but plays just fine.
Commercial / Jazz Bass: Yamaha YBL-612RII
Orchestral Bass: Yamaha YBL-830 Xeno
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Pit / Chamber Horn: Bach LT36B. Might get a copper tuning slide for it.
I would love to hear how this turns out if you go through with it. I have an "X" tuning slide on my Shires medum bore and if I could convince my wife it would be a wise investment to get a copper one made for it, I'd order it today :lol:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Matt K wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:14 amI would love to hear how this turns out if you go through with it. I have an "X" tuning slide on my Shires medum bore and if I could convince my wife it would be a wise investment to get a copper one made for it, I'd order it today :lol:
I'll let you know! I was looking at the Hoelle tuning slides that the Brass Ark sells. I think they make them for Shires horns, though I'm not sure which ones they fit.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Ok fine, I'll do just the slide trombones (for the sake of brevity of course).

Soprano: already got it, my impossibly cool German soprano with a leather-strapped rotor to A, Ab, G, or F. I'd also like to get large bore (I'm thinking .500") TIS sopranos made in Bb and G. Each with at least one rotor, naturally. Probably not enough room in that tiny bell section to make the valves independent, so dependent will have to do. My soprano has taught me that G is much better than F when your slide only really has 5 real positions, so I'd go with Bb/G/D for the Bb soprano.

Alto: Laetzsch SL-740 alto in F with C valve, Laetzsch LS-720 alto in Eb with Bb valve, B&S Erde prototype .547" alto in Eb with Bb valve, Conn 36H (for jazz alto obviously), and a very ridiculous custom build with two valves.

Small tenor: Williams 6, Elkhart 6H, Bach 6, King 1306 Tempo, Romeo Adaci .500", modular King 3B/F/G/D, maybe a DaCarbo .508" for touring/travelling/unsafe gigs.

Medium tenor: modular King 607/608/3B+F (one or two valves), Elkhart 79H, maybe Shires red bell straight .525"

Large tenor: Elkhart 88H, Arkbone v1 (or v2, haven't tried that yet), Holton TR-158/258, Schagerl Fontana, some kind of indy 2-valve .547"

Bass: Indy 72H (already have it!) or new M&W to the same specs, indy King 1480, custom-built lightweight screw bell Bb/F/ascending C, B&H Betty G/D, custom-built modern indy G/D/Eb (still with full-length slide and handle), custom-built modern indy F/C/Db (still with full-length slide and handle)

Contrabass: a really nice F/C/Db, ideally with full-length slide with handle but I can live without that for the right instrument.

Sackbuts: Egger MDC alto after Starck, 2x Egger MDC tenor after Hainlein (one regular bore, one wide bore with removable F attachment), 2x Egger MDC bass after Ehe (one in F, one in D). Egger also used to offer a bass in G, so I'd see if they could still make me one of those too.

Classical trombones: Egger MDC alto/tenor/F bass after Schneid

Other: a Thein piccolo, custom-made F and Eb sopraninos (probably also by Theins), and Long Island Brass Company's Db baritone trombone. All of the above mostly just so I can say I have them.

Finally, with truly infinite money I'd probably also go to Rath, M&W, and Shires and spend long days building a complete set from alto to bass (and contra, in Rath's case) and buying to support their businesses, make videos with, see how a truly matched set of instruments behaves, and take cool pictures of. I would do the same thing on a smaller scale (i.e. not a matched set alto to bass) with other small trombone makers, even though I would end up selling a lot of the instruments that I didn't need.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Alto - Yamaha YSL-872 but with valve in Bb instead of trill valve

Tenor - A good Bach 42A

Bass - My current Yamaha YBL-830, but I also would like to have a good YBL-830G (gold brass bell) as well. And also another YBL-421 single valve bass for travel/outdoor

Contrabass - Any decent German one

Bass Trumpet - 4-valve Kühnl & Hoyer or Alexander

German Bariton - Alexander or Josef Lidl, preferably Kaiser

Fiscorn - Is there any good one with reasonable intonation out there?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Finetales wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:47 pm Sackbuts: Egger MDC alto after Starck, 2x Egger MDC tenor after Hainlein (one regular bore, one wide bore with removable F attachment), 2x Egger MDC bass after Ehe (one in F, one in D). Egger also used to offer a bass in G, so I'd see if they could still make me one of those too.

Classical trombones: Egger MDC alto/tenor/F bass after Schneid
Good taste!

Re: tenors
I'm curious as to why the wide bore tenor, and the F attachment?

Re: basses
Good news for you: you wouldn't need to have separate basses in G, F and D anymore. We just finished developing a new version of the Ehe model that does all of this with just one instrument. I'll make a separate post about it, but essentially it does G and F at 466, 452, 440, 430, 415, 392, and D at any possible increment of pitch from 490 down to 392. D is also crookable to C (small contra).

Re: classical trombones
The Egger Schmied alto and tenor are stellar instruments and an absolute joy to play (despite the originals being reportedly horrendous). Sadly they're pretty much completely wrong for almost everything we use them for, but that's what is being used, so...gives us a reason to enjoy playing them!
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

LeTromboniste wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:55 am Re: tenors
I'm curious as to why the wide bore tenor, and the F attachment?
I would only get that after I had the normal bore, no-valve instrument that I'd actually use for performance. But with infinite money, why not get a wide bore one with the valve as well since Egger offers it?
Re: basses
Good news for you: you wouldn't need to have separate basses in G, F and D anymore. We just finished developing a new version of the Ehe model that does all of this with just one instrument. I'll make a separate post about it, but essentially it does G and F at 466, 452, 440, 430, 415, 392, and D at any possible increment of pitch from 490 down to 392. D is also crookable to C (small contra).
Amazing!!!

Is the slide F length? I would imagine going all the way down to C you'd need a longer slide to have 7 positions.
Kjong3545

Post by Kjong3545 »

Tenor Trombones:

Pretty happy with by Edwards T-396A, maybe I’d try the AR to see how the new valve and interchangeable parts feel.

For small tenors, I’ve play primarily a 70s 3b and an Elkhart Bach 16 and both are amazing horns that I’m happy with. I own neither (ones borrowed from my school and the other belongs to a friend)

Bass Trombone:

Don’t play too much bass so I feel like something too nice would be wasted on me, probably a Yamaha Xeno 630? Is that the model number?

Alto Trombone:

I have never played alto trombone, but playing the Bach 16 I mentioned above, the feel, response, and sound I can get on that feels very suited to alto playing, so a Bach 39 would have to be my answer.

Euphonium:

Besides Tenor Trombone, Euphonium is the instrument I play the most. I currently play on a 642 (pre-Neo), but it’s a school horn and I’m honestly not the biggest fan. I do like Yamahas though so maybe an 842. The Bessons I’ve played in the past have been alright, personal taste keeps me from them. I also really liked the Willson I played before, so maybe a 2900 or a 2950.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

I’d have a TR4501 w/a Jetone mouthpiece and a set of Urbie Green chops!

That’s all!
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Finetales wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 am
I would only get that after I had the normal bore, no-valve instrument that I'd actually use for performance. But with infinite money, why not get a wide bore one with the valve as well since Egger offers it?

Fair point and good enough reason :P
I didn't realize they offered an F attachment on the sackbut. I know they do a Bb version of the classical bass, with the bore size and bell of the F bass, but in Bb/F. Which is of course in no way historical but I can see some use for it.
Finetales wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 am Amazing!!!

Is the slide F length? I would imagine going all the way down to C you'd need a longer slide to have 7 positions.
The Egger bass sackbut slide is the same length as on the original Ehe which is in D; only the bell section is different on the F model, but the slides are interchangeable. We also built this new version on the same slide. There's never a 7th position on a D bass (at least I don't know of any original that survive; the Ehe slide is actually on the longer side as far as I know). On the original Ehe, the back slide is not a tuning slide, it's loose like a handslide and is pushed back with a long handle for the half-step extension.

The only D bass I've ever played or seen with 7 positions is the one on my avatar, a Meinl model Ehe with a straight bell section and extra long slide, which I had a good deal on. Extremely unwieldy and an air hog. I would describe it more as a small contra, worked fantastic for really low, slow moving bass lines in the large scale Gabrieli stuff, but could never play any kind of solo or chamber music on it so I chose not to buy it. Also would be a nightmare to travel with.

My horn has solid 7 positions in G, kinda 7 in F (depending on the temperament), solid 6 in D, 6 in C but that low D is really far away. I can theoretically set it up as a contra in AA but then it barely has 5 positions, and I don't think I could ever find a mouthpiece that makes it work.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

LeTromboniste wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:51 pmThe Egger bass sackbut slide is the same length as on the original Ehe which is in D; only the bell section is different on the F model, but the slides are interchangeable. We also built this new version on the same slide. There's never a 7th position on a D bass (at least I don't know of any original that survive; the Ehe slide is actually on the longer side as far as I know). On the original Ehe, the back slide is not a tuning slide, it's loose like a handslide and is pushed back with a long handle for the half-step extension.
Ah! I never knew they were D length.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

I'm just an amateur and while I have some disposable income to throw towards horns there's a limit to what I could justify on any given one (especially since I'd like a bari sax and an alto flute to be in my future too) so I'll think "small".

This is my current set up:
Alto - Elkhart 100TBA alto trombone
Small Bore Tenor - Jean Paul small bore tenor
Large Bore Tenor - Bach 42BO
Bass -YBL-322 slide and an unmarked bell section that was modified to be a dependent Bb/F/D set up.

I'll try to go to ITFs and I might try stuff at those to figure out upgrades but this is the kind of destination/price point I can imagine without having tried much outside of what I have.
Alto - Probably a Conn 34/36H
Small Bore Tenor - King 3B or maybe a Q series
Large Bore Tenor - I might never upgrade this, though I'm curious about axials and would like to try some trombones with those at an ITF or something
Bass - Bach 50 or maybe a Q series
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

My present stable of 8 trombones listed below, means that I can cover all of the playing I do; 1st, 2nd or bass in symphony orchestra and any chair in big band. However, if I were to suddenly find unlimited funds in my bank account, I would make the following changes and additions.

Changes.
B&H Sessionair-Replace yellow brass outers for nickel silver tubes and change Bell to slide locking system from tapered joint with a pinch bolt to something more secure which doesn't let the bell come loose when using a plunger!!!
Besson 10-10-Replace the oversized, after market F valve with a more suitable valve and reroute the F wrap. Relacquer the whole trombone!
R/H/B Bass-Replace yellow brass outers for nickel silver tubes.

Additions.
A small bore (0.484-0.487ins) and a yellow brass bell of 7.0-7.5in. (Conn 4H Victor, 14H Director, Besson Academy 402)
Olds Super with fluted slides.
Conn Elkhart 48H Connstellation
A large bore, single valve bass with a 9.5in bell (Conn 60H, Conn 71H, Holton 169)

Dream on!!!! :pant: :pant: :pant:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I’ll let you know after I win the lottery and start my own museum. ;)
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
dershem

Post by dershem »

I pretty much have close to the ideal (for me, on my budget) now:
Bass: Getzen 3062
Orchestral: Benge 190
All-around: Bach 36G
Lead: XO Fedchock
Miscellaneous
Valve: Olds Marching
Alto: Ferguson/JinBao
Soprano: Jupiter
Not trombone:
Tuba: Holton EEb
Baritone: Olds (trigger on 3d valve)
Flugel: Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt
Cornet: Benge 8Z
Bb Trumpet: Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt
C Trumpet: Marcinkiewicz Rembrandy
Eb Trumpet: B&S Challenger II
Piccolo Trumpet: Schilke P5L
Plus a few others as backups. :D
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I'm pretty happy with what I have as well, but still a list of what would be great (or more like a dream) to have:

Alto: Conn 36H (I rarely play Alto, so I just have a Thomann horn rn which is absolutely enough)

Small Tenor: My Lätzsch Jazz trombone is a dream, nice Back-Up would be: Bach 16 MV or King 3B Silversonic (vintage) (or both ;-))

Medium: I love my Bach 36BOG, still would love to have a Conn 79H Elkhart.

Large: My Elkhart Conn 88H is awesome, dream horn would be a Lätzsch custom horn, but the Conn is perfect for what I need it.

Bass: I haven't tried much so far, so I guess there's still room for improvement. Maybe a nice Duo Gravis? I like my Edwards, but it feels a bit too heavy for some lighter work in small pit orchestra or traditional bigband stuff. Worked great for classical parts tho.

Euphonium: Yamaha YEP 321 works perfectly fine for me, maybe would do some adjustments/improvements with it that I've seen on other similar horns.

In addition I would love to have a nice tuba. Played an Eb tuba for theatre stuff some years ago, which was fun. So probably a nice Eb or compact Bb tuba would be cool. But besides of the theatre production I've never been in need of a tuba so far. Still would be nice to have.
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

Jazz: my existing King 3BG
Medium Bore: my 3B+F
I don't have a large bore, but would like to try one of the new 88HNV models with a CF slide.
Single Trigger Bass: don't have but would like 88HK with a dual bore .547/.562 CF slide
Bass: my Conn 62H with CF slide
Tuba: Eastman 226
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I like my current lot.
Corp Bach 12
Bach 36K
King 5B
YEP 842 & 641 euphos
Buescher 400 True Tone. Too small for me, but was my grandfathers so it'll never go.

Extra: YSL 643 & large bore B&H Soverign

I would love a Lawler & swap my 36K for a straight Corp 36G
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

I suppose I’m a minimalist, because I would rather dream of downscaling (making my wife happier…) than getting more stuff. Here’s what I use most and could survive on the rest of my career:

Medium bore trombone (Bach 36)
Alto trombone (Conn 36, but want a Lätzsch)
Valve trombone (Bach 16)
Highland Park (12, but want 18).
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

My current setup is the best I’ve ever played:

Small tenor - Rath R10 with nickel bell (best trombone I’ve ever played)
Large tenor - Rath R4F with nickel bell, red brass tuning and hand slide
Bass - Rath R9 with dependent Rotax
Contra - Jürgen Voigt 470
Alto - Jürgen Voigt 711
Tuba - Miraphone 282 Bb (this horn was my dream horn, and I finally got it about 8 years ago)

Horns I wish I still had:
Medium tenor - Rath R3 (ridiculously great horn… I just didn’t use it much)
Euphonium - Willson 2900 (best euphonium I’ve ever played, but I hardly played it)

Horn I wish I had:

Alexander model 19 bass trumpet
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Ideal?

Horns I actually have are listed below…I guess I would add a contra (Aidan’s German model speaks to me, but there’s no way I could justify it!) and a better alto than the Amati I currently have (probably a 34H, or maybe one like the Pfretzschner that I borrowed for a recital once) but otherwise, I am happy with everything I have.

I learned that I get along with Bach much more than Conn, so while I think the vintage Conns are cool, they no longer tempt me.

Amati alto—just to mess around with, sometimes I have it in my car and play Real Book tunes on it while I wait to pick up my kids. I haven’t practiced any “real” alto lit in a while, but maybe sometime.

Green pBone—won this in a drawing a while ago. I don’t really enjoy playing it…but whatever, it’s cool because it’s my son’s favorite color.

1963 Olds Super—fun to play, I let a friend borrow it for a bit when her daughter was trying to decide on an instrument. She ended up choosing horn.

1935 Bach 8(ii)—I play this often, it’s my usual horn in my big band where I play 1st part. I use a Bach 7 mp with it.

Early 60s King 3B Silversonic—great horn, I’d play it on 2nd part in a big band or something. I did play it on 1st for a while and it was OK for that, but I ended up deciding to go a little smaller. I can use a Yamaha Landgren mp with it, or a 6 1/2 if I want a more “legit” sound.

1963 Bach 36—very lively, great horn; I haven’t had much chance to play it with others yet, but the next time I’m playing on a church gig where the first player brings his 6H… I can use a Schilke 51C4 for a more commercial sound, and I just got a great setup from Doug for a more symphonic sound.

Shires large bore made from a 2008 dual-bore slide, and early 2000s OE Thayer valve and 1G bell. Obviously used for any of the usual large-bore tenor applications. I’ve mainly used a GB Alessi 3 mp on large tenor since about 2004.

Bach 50A3 bell with Edwards slide—obviously used for any typical bass trombone applications. Ferguson JR mp.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

I'm pretty close to my ideal although I would like a couple more things to make it more complete.

I have: S.E. Shires Artist dependent rotor bass w/ B62 slide, B & C tuning crooks, BII 1G 10" bell & BII 7YA4 bell.
I am on the lookout for a Shires red or rose brass bell in a Conn style taper. Also, a B1 leadpipe would come in handy once in a while.

My ideal would also include an S.E. Shires independent valve section.

Currently have a Kanstul 1662 & Kanstul 1670.

These are currently my back-up instruments but I think I'd like a Matthew Walker conversion to his valves. The CR valves play well but I can get hung up on mods and "what if" thoughts.

I honestly don't need one but my "ideal stable" would include a modern Contrabass in F, like a Thein or Leuchter...if I got a winning lottery ticket.

An Elkhart 62H would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Matt Varho
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Pezza wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:10 pm I like my current lot.
Corp Bach 12
Bach 36K
King 5B
YEP 842 & 641 euphos
Buescher 400 True Tone. Too small for me, but was my grandfathers so it'll never go.

Since you have a King 5b, would love to know if you had experience with a 4b along your journey. Looking for a compare and contrast with hands on.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

henrysa wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:51 pm ...
Since you have a King 5b, would love to know if you had experience with a 4b along your journey. Looking for a compare and contrast with hands on.
At one point I had a King 5B (the 0.547" version) and a King 4B. Both were silver plate and approximately the same age (I think they were a year apart). I found the 5B to be a bit more "diffuse" than the 4B; perhaps a bit more unfocused. I never liked the 5B as a "small bass" and never liked it as a "large tenor". I wound up keeping the 4B and selling on the 5B. The guy who bought the 5B loved it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

henrysa wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:51 pm
Pezza wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:10 pm I like my current lot.
Corp Bach 12
Bach 36K
King 5B
YEP 842 & 641 euphos

I use my 5B as a bass. Have had a blow on a 4 as a tenor. So I have no fair comparison.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Hmmm.... my bass I'll keep as is, but I'd like a Contra in G, carbon fiber bell, 62/78 slide, .593 valves, and indy valves pitched D/E/C.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

dershem wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:05 pm I pretty much have close to the ideal (for me, on my budget) now:
Miscellaneous
Not trombone:
How do you find the time???
dershem

Post by dershem »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:14 am
dershem wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:05 pm I pretty much have close to the ideal (for me, on my budget) now:
Miscellaneous
Not trombone:
How do you find the time???
I'm retired, which helps. ANd I don't get calls on all of them, so I only practice a horn when I'll be using it - mostly the trumpet/.flugel/cornet on Monday and Wednesday, the XO on Tuesday, and the Getzen on Saturday. Once the chops are in shape, the choice of horn is just remembering where the harmonics do/don't line up and other quirks of the individual horn.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

I’m happy with my current horns, with one exception. They provide me with all the choices I need for my playing needs.

Holton ST 304 Maynard Ferguson trumpet is fine
Love my Cleveland King Superior Trombone
Olds 4 valve euphonium is good enough for me
Conn 20J Tuba is a sweet sounding beast
Carl Fisher school auction French horn is old and ugly, but functions fine…I’d prefer one like my daughters Holton double horn though…not so much for looks, but having a Bb side would be nice!

I’m retired and stay busy raising black angus beef and homegrown pork. Outside of the farm, horns are my main outside interest.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

If I had unlimited money - and, more importantly, unlimited practice time to get acceptably proficient on everything and unlimited performance opportunities to use them - my dream stable would be something along the lines of

Alto: Bach 39
Peashooter: Martin Urbie Green
Chamber music/light orchestral: Conn 79H
Big orchestral: Benge 190
Bass: Holton 169 modded with F/G/Eb Rotax valves
Contrabass: Don't know enough to have any tastes here, but any good one
Euph: Actually, my current B&H Imperial is great
Tuba: Ditto the euph, but maybe an American style 5 valve instrument would be fun too

Return to “Instruments”