Edwards Bass trombone question

MKtuba

Edwards Bass trombone question

Post by MKtuba »

Within the next year or two I will be buying a bass trombone. I am an undergraduate Tuba Performance major looking to go to grad school and get some sort of "low brass doublers" degree (still researching that one. Not entirely sure of my options but I have a few years to decide) and would like to pursue bass trombone as my primary double. I am looking at the Edwards B454-E and have a question.

Those of you who own the neck-pipe that converts the trombone to a single valve bass (or even if you have the one that turns it into a straight bass), do you find yourself ever actually using it? The biggest draw of the Edwards line to me is the modular aspect. While converting to a single valve or straight bass isn't my chief reason for wanting the modular instrument, it would be nice to know how useful that actually is, as it could sway my decision.

This won't be my first bass, so I know some basic things about what I want (I hated the 10.5 inch bell bass that I owned. Definitely won't buy another) but have not gotten to try the edwards lineup.
elmsandr

Re: Edwards Bass trombone question

Post by elmsandr »

I almost never use my single converter. Don’t think it fits any horn I still have. I do use singles, but I prefer the entire separate valve section or a separate horn for that.

Cheers,
Andy
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not quite an answer, but I have owned several singles (8 by my count) and I have used them IRL maybe... 4 or 5 times. I don't own any at the moment.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I like playing on a single or straight section while I'm practicing for weight reasons. No reason to do flexibilities on rotors if I don't need it!
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I considered the single convertor neckpipe but I didn't think I would ever use it. It would be interesting to know the weight of just the Gb section. I am sure someone might be able to chime in on that part. I think the B454-E comes in at around 5.5 lbs.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Matt K wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:03 pm I like playing on a single or straight section while I'm practicing for weight reasons. No reason to do flexibilities on rotors if I don't need it!
I have to say that it's a bit silly to have a setup just for practice at home.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Well, that depends on context. I’ve got one in my office so I can pick it up and practice if a meeting ends a few minutes early and I have another one scheduled after it. I get at least 15-20 minutes a day of 2-5 minute long practice sessions that way. Not enough time to justify running downstairs to my practice cave, but enough time to pick it up and play through a few excerpts, jazz standard, flexibility etc.

And a single valve bass can totally be used for performance. I haven’t had a single plug in awhile but I plan on putting one on my neckpipe in the not too distant future. I’d prefer to have it and use it on gigs I don’t need the second valve for.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You don't need a single rotor bass if you are in school learning bass trombone. Just like you don't need a separate 8H for certain rep (look how cool I am guys) when you are in school. Just get really good at one specimen of the horn you are studying. If it holds you back, adjust.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

As someone in school, get a double valve, realistically you won’t ever need a single converter. If it’s a small gig where you think you only need one valve, you can do it with two and just use one. And if you’re really getting small, maybe with an alto or something, then using an entirely smaller horn may be necessary or not. From my experience no one really cares as long as it sounds good, I even just recently watched a concert by a top orchestra where they used two small bores and one bass and it sounded awesome.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Matt K wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:23 pm Well, that depends on context.
I mean, still... it's a bit silly. Practice what you perform!

I actually have a Mozart performance next week, and I'm using my double because it actually makes the most sense for the part. It's the only gig I can think of for the last few years where I even seriously considered a single.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I have a single Bach 50B and it plays great. I've used it once this year.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

The Edwards axials are free blowing enough that I doubt you'd notice much change in playing characteristics by removing the second valve. The horn would be lighter which might help. The balance would also be drastically different with the second valve off, which might be more annoying than the benefit of reduced weight.
CBlair

Post by CBlair »

"The balance would also be drastically different with the second valve off, which might be more annoying than the benefit of reduced weight."

Good comment. I'm sure it would be true.
For some reason, once or twice I've substituted my 73H second valve D piping for the the original, short E crook. Never again. It does mess with the balance. Losing a valve would likely be even more noticeable. My opinion is that the accustomed balance is more important than a slight change in weight.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

During quartet rehearsals, I keep a double and a tweener on stands, and I use the tweener most of the time, only pulling out the double when there are a lot of Cs and Bs. It depends on the music you play if you can live with a single valve. 80% of the time I can play single, but just that 20% of the time would require that I take a double to 100% of gigs.

One of those Bartok valves (trigger that slides F attachment to an E pull) is another option. With that mechanism, you can always live with a single valve.

Return to “Instruments”