Leadpipe not holding mouthpiece firm

Gfunk

Leadpipe not holding mouthpiece firm

Post by Gfunk »

I’ve had this leadpipe for a bit and like a lot about it, but I’ve noticed the mouthpiece moves around a little when I put it in, and I won’t do anything more than a small slight turn to get it to sit when I put it in, out of fear of long term damage. I’ve tried quite a few mouthpieces, but they all have this issue in this leadpipe and not on any other ones.

Today just out of curiosity I decided to take a small piece of paper and put it in with my mouthpiece to get a solid fit. Kind of how a sax player would if their cork is too worn. The horn overall centered and felt more stable, but 10th, 11th and 12th partial slotted significantly easier.

Looking at the inside in sunlight, there looks to be two separate very small rings of indentation around where the shank of the mouthpiece would end. I got this leadpipe used, so I’m not sure what happened prior to it getting to my hands.

Does anyone have experience or advice around this situation? I would greatly appreciate it.
Doug Elliott

Re: Leadpipe not holding mouthpiece firm

Post by Doug Elliott »

It sounds like maybe somebody tried to force a Conn shank into it. The Conn (Remington mouthpiece) taper is different and would do what you described. There's not much you can do to fix it now that the tubing has been expanded where the end of the shank is.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
elmsandr

Re: Leadpipe not holding mouthpiece firm

Post by elmsandr »

Use a couple of wraps of Teflon plumbing tape on your shank so it doesn’t wobble. When that wears too much, replace it. One small roll from the hardware will last you quite a while.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Instruments”