Rejano/Shires

Chatname

Rejano/Shires

Post by Chatname »

Looking at the details of the Rejano/Shires horn: gold brass slide, gold brass tuning slide, standard weight red brass bell with added detachable flare rings. Seems like a pretty heavy and very dark playing horn! (I’m sure it’s fantastic, of course. I often play a 2RVE with a gold brass tuning and hand-slide. Great combination.) Did anyone get to try it? An European influence on Shires with all the gold/red parts? And would that be a cut 7R bell? It just says two piece modified construction in standard weight.
Burgerbob

Re: Rejano/Shires

Post by Burgerbob »

David likes his gold brass- his last horn was a 42BG, and I believe he wanted gold tubes on that Bach slide.

I'll have to try it sooner rather than later.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Cut 7R sounds like it's probably similarish to the Sauer bell. I bet it plays very nice. What do you mean detachable flare rings? Seems like it comes with one flare? I might be misreading it though.

It sounds very close to what I would probably buy if I had however much a Shires cost in cash and wanted a classical horn. I'd probably do TW47GLW, RS with a dual bore rotor if I were buying blind. I had a TW47G with a 2RVET7 and I think the combination would have been better with a lightweight, narrow slide or that slide with a 7GLW or something. Just a touch too broad. This being what sounds like a 7 bell probably balance it quite well.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Sorry, I just meant the set of two rings for a singular detachable bell…
About the weight, if I understand it correctly it’s a regular weight bell with the added rings, so rather heavy compared to the trend towards lighter bells. Shires standard weight is heavier than many modern bells, I believe. I would also love to try this bell. Even though I own and play lighter weight bells every day, I have to say I used to love some pretty heavyweight bells, like Bach 42 HGM.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The type 7 bells are very strange. In a good way. I love my 7YLW8. It's totally believable to me that the way they've balanced it that the added weight of the ring still lets it be responsive.
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

I may be slightly biased, but they are really good horns. Not really my jam, but it's got the darkness of a 42, with the playability of a Shires. Things just slot. The counterweight does add even more weight to the bell section, along with stability. When you first pick it up, you definitely notice how heavy it is and you wonder if it's even going to be comfortable to play, but it's really nicely balanced and it does feel like you've got a piece of lead on your shoulder.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Definitely is an interesting horn. Is the valve any different from the regular shires rotary valve, or is it just the wrap that is special? It really is a fantastic looking horn though. Dang.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

Just the wrap.

Return to “Instruments”